Has your game preferences changed as you've got older ?

Soldato
I wouldn't say my preferences have changed, more that life gets in the way for various reasons, e.g. I used to play a lot of MMOs and spent many a long night in my teens/early 20s playing UO, Everquest, Neocron & WoW. Having kids and a full time job has definitely put an end to that!!

Also finding I'm terrible at online shooters these days, in the UT2003/2004 days I could consistently come top 3, now I'm playing things like Pubg and I'm terrible, have won a few squad games playing with friends/brothers, but I'm usually the worst in the squad, dunno if it's my age or the type of game...

Associate
For years pretty much the only game I played was counter strike, I loved the competitive side.

It also had an awesome casual aspect, I would play a couple of ED clan matches then go on community public servers where regulars new each other and it was good fun.

Then CSGO changed that and made it all about matchmaking and ranks, introduced quite a lot of elitism where friends would fall out and not want to play with people. Then the ruskies and cheaters made it pretty much unplayable. I probably had 1000+ hours in CSGO then they added the match history to your steam profile, you could use the firefox plug in and see how many people from your matches got banned. The numbers left me disenfranchised with it, so I just stopped playing it.

Moved over to playing PVE and co op games, put a lot of hours into Arma 3, Elite dangerous and The division games. Found my gaming time became allot more relaxed and probably enjoyable.

Associate
Definitely lean more towards co-op these days. idk whether its because of external things such as the amount of cheating in competitive, my age, or the simple fact theres a lot more co-op style options available now.

Soldato
43 now and basically dont drop much time any online PvP games, I've dabbled in PUBG / Warzone / Apex but they are nothing but shop windows riddled with cheaters or people that spend every waking hour in them.

So other than a few co-op games I'm pretty much single player. VR is also a great addition if you want to try something different.

Soldato
Seems to be a trend, but with the same as others, I don't really play first-person shooters anymore. Other than that, I still play the same other stuff. I do tend to play far more indie and small studio games these days, but I think this purely down to them being more accessible thanks to platforms like Steam, which I'm glad about as indie games these days are just as good (or better in some cases) than 'AAA' games.

Associate
33 and have moved away from competitive shooters. I like just kicking back with a good story. I still have Prey, Mass Effect Andromoda, Evil Within 2, BF1, Arkham Knight, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher expansions plus a few others to get through. Also moved full circle and back to console more.

I'm also less bothered about getting a ps5 at launch. Happy to wait 3 years and plough through some of the older PS4 games which can be picked up cheap.

Soldato
I used to like open world driving games because I couldn't drive and open world games were new. I like historical games now and games where you make stuff like Kerbal Space program and Cities Skylines and Transport Fever 2

Soldato
The the biggest change I've made, is going from online to offline. I used to play FPS games online and WoW. I do like more city building games like Anno or management games like Pro Cycling Manager.

The games I play now do tend to change up every week or every other day, but I'm currently enjoying MotoGP20, Tennis Elbow 4, Alien Isolation and Halo MCC.

Associate
For me it tends to be the case of moving away from JRPG's. I still love them so much, i just can't bring myself to invest SO much time into them, they're a lot of them released and they also take a long time to complete.
So, i think i like the shorter games now with little breaks between.

Associate
Male in my Mid 30's, and yes my preferences have changed over the years. After all, not all change is bad. :D

I have been fortunate enough to own most consoles over the years, starting with the commodore 64, Mega Drive, PlayStations and Xbox's, as well as building several custom pc's. So have had ample access to single and multilplayer gaming experiences.

For the most part I have enjoyed single player experiences, from many genre's. Games like Sonic, Mario, Grand Prix 4, Grand Theft Auto, Half Life, Halo, Life is Strange, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Max Payne and my long time love affair
Kerbal Space Program (it really helped me cope and develope, during a dark period in my life.)

But I would be doing a great dis-service, to not mention, I have had some truly amazing experiences online.
Initially getting broadband to play Half Life2 DM (flying toilet seats), quickly moving to CounterStrike Source, playing competitively, starting a clan.
Playing Day of Defeat Source, Left 4 Dead 1&2, even some Battle-Field 4 and SWTOR, oh the memories of been online, the friends, the competitive nature it was great fun.
Sadly at this time, I have little to know interest in online gaming, the very grindy nature, and "pay to win" of new FPS games, and lets be honest, my twitch reactions, just aren't what they used to be. :o

Sadly over the years, working two jobs, having a partner, responsibilities and other hobbies, limit my time, but it makes it all the more sweater, when I game. I still most of all crave new single player experiences.

That been said, within the last two weeks, I have purchased, a Vive Cosmos vr headset (not the best unit) but it has opened up a whole new world of "sea sick" gaming experiences. :D
I have especially enjoyed Half Life Alyx and VTOL VR. And will be buying more games in the vr space soon.

Despite all the changes, better graphics, new systems, new people and friends, the joy of gaming is still strong with me. Adulthood takes more time than ever, but not all change is bad.
Have fun, keep gaming if it entertains you, share in your experiences, add more boosters and fly safe! :D

Back
Top Bottom