Have you been permanently banned from any forums?

Soldato
Never been banned from a web based site.

I was banned from an IRC channel years ago by a Scottish woman who didnt much like English people. Then years later fate put us back together and we got along well, especially when she found out I have a Scottish surname :D

I've banned people in the past. But only for being a constant nuisance and/or making illegal posts i.e. making threats etc.

Don
I am banned from one of the BMW forums. Can't remember which one. It was for saying some chavved up 5-series looked crap and that the owner should hang their head in shame for ruining a handsome car.

Commissario
Although the letter f got me dumped off here once (24hr, iirc), with no prior infractions. Took a 3 year holiday at that point...
It was 48 hours which was standard at the time and I can see you were back a couple of years later :D

We're a lot more lenient now than we were at the time.

I think Everyone that posted in 1 thread, i don't even remember tbh. It was quite bizarre.
There have been a few instances when one of the team has started a "Post in this thread and you get banned" type thread which is fair warning and everyone who posts gets a 24 hour suspension. It's all good fun and everyone who responds knows full well what they're doing.

Soldato
I'm on "last warning" at a forum that I don't actually visit any more. Apparently me using the term "*********" was deemed offensive. So I took to twitter to lambaste the rather ********* reaction of warning me for using the term *********.
Other than that I seem to be pretty cool with site mods - obviously easier when it is a site that don't take offence to anything and everything.

*Ironically - the very same term is not allowed here. Who would have thought?*

Soldato
It was 48 hours which was standard at the time and I can see you were back a couple of years later :D

We're a lot more lenient now than we were at the time.

There have been a few instances when one of the team has started a "Post in this thread and you get banned" type thread which is fair warning and everyone who posts gets a 24 hour suspension. It's all good fun and everyone who responds knows full well what they're doing.
Oh yeah, so I did get banned once then I think! :p

Maybe you should edit the title of this thread to say that for the lols...

I've not been banned from any forum, social media, online gaming or any other service providers. I have been suspended on OcUK on 3 occasions though.

1. In 2010 I think, I had too many OcUK forum tabs open and was meant to respond to a thread about the national lottery. However, I unwittingly replied in the Random Image thread. I later realised that all posts in the Random Image thread must include a picture otherwise it's a 2-day ban :p

2. Can't remember which year, might have been 2013 or 2014. A thread got deleted and everyone who posted in that thread got banned for 2 days. Not sure which thread it was, probably something political or sensitive.

3. In 2017, I posted an Irish joke and that was a 2-day holiday, citing that Irish jokes are racist.

The strictest forum by far though was a Disney-related one. There were 2 of us (me and a friend) and we lasted about a month before we sacked it off. We wanted to connect with other adult fans and avoid kids. However, we weren't allowed to say how old we were, so it was impossible to tell how old the other posters were, and there were strict rules about user names. Any media that got posted had to be on-site, so couldn't link or embed to YouTube, deviantART, Flickr etc otherwise it was classed as 'advertising'. We broke so many rules that it was like stepping on eggshells.

I also got suspended from AOL for 2 weeks :p Things like AIM were off-limits but I could still access webmail and there was an automated email in there saying that I was suspended but no explanation. I never heard back when I queried it. Thankfully though, it was 2009 and AOL hasn't been my internet provider since 2001.

Soldato
Although, it having happened on 'lots' of forums as per your post does beg the question whether any blame attaches to yourself? ;)
if you asked the mods of those boards you'd probably get a different answer to the one i'd give. it'd be up to you to decide who was telling the truth.

Soldato
Pistonheads literally 5 minutes after making an account. Made a single post asking a question on brake pads (completely innocent), got banned with no reason given lol

Didnt bother with the site after that.

Not that you can actually perm ban someone from a public forum. They can simply make a new account.

I'mbanned from PistonHeads too, like you no explaination or real reason given although I suspect it was the post that corrected a mod's post, with facts and links that backed me up. :rolleyes:

Associate
Was a day one member of the Eurogamer forum, had account number 17 (staff had 1 to 15 reserved iirc).

Last year got shadow banned by some spotty 18 year old jumped up forum moderator for not being woke enough. Wasn't too unhappy since the place went to **** years ago when the owner sold up.

Soldato
AVForums. They had insanely strict rules about for sale posts (considerably more strict that the MM) and I got banned for something fairly innocent, although I don't rememeber what exactly.

Tried to make a new account and they checked my IP and blocked me again!

Soldato
was banned for a few days here once...had to ask at the time why, and I've forgotten the reason now...prob swearing

Same here, the infraction said "swearing" yet I don't tend to swear online generally and never deliberately on this forum specifically so the 3 (IIRC?) day ban is/was a complete mystery to me as my post wasn't edited "to remove the swearing" either? I'm guessing a Mod picked the wrong post or I'd mis-spelled a word and the Mod thought I was trying to work around the swear filter - I've no idea!

Back
Top Bottom