• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best value CPU to replace an Ivybridge Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz?

Associate
Too many choices is stopping me buying! someone tell me what to do :)

Given that you need to buy now by the sounds of it and upgrade again when the 4000 series arrives I would just get a 3600 - it will give you a 25% or so performance boost over the 3770k and won't lose that much (max £40 or so) when you come to sell it later....

if it was a purchase now and never update upgrade then spend the extra and get a 3900x...

Associate
Yes that's exactly what I have done, I've gone for a 3600. and will upgrade the CPU when the time is right!

I use the PC for gaming & work and a little photo & video editing too so this is going to me a nice boost, the RAM should be a decent improvement too.

In the end I went for:

R5 3600
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB 3600
Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0
Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL case - well it wouldn't seem like a new PC if I used the old case :D
some Corsair ML120 Pro RGB fans for the old h100i and case

I now feel like a kid at Christmas, I don't think I'll get much work done tomorrow when the order turns up!

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m in a similar boat in that I’m wanting to upgrade my ancient i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz, 16GB ram and asrock z77-pro4-m

it’s done so well for the last goodness knows how many years, I may as wait for ryzen 4000 and splash the cash then :)

Back
Top Bottom