Zen internet FTTP package upgrades...

Soldato
Holy heck! I never knew this. Still if it's limited areas it's better than nothing. :D I'm using tethering at the moment Zen Completely is down in North East / Scotland.

Probably related to two power cuts in the last couple of hours in central Scotland affected a very wide area.

EDIT Likely due to a fire in a Newcastle Exchange.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well we are back up and running and here was me thinking my broadband regrade was taking place but nope im not that lucky :(
but we are back up now with wait for it the same speed i had lol so still waiting on my regrade, completely sucks.

I haz 4090!
Don
well we are back up and running and here was me thinking my broadband regrade was taking place but nope im not that lucky :(
but we are back up now with wait for it the same speed i had lol so still waiting on my regrade, completely sucks.

I know it's taking a while for you, but are you really suffering with 330Mb in the meantime? :D

Caporegime
UFO was a TalkTalk and Sky collaboration on a trial FTTP deployment, it's priced to generate some return so that billing systems can be tested etc. but also to make it a no-brainer option for people covered by the network. I doubt it would have ever gone to a wider deployment at that price (maybe trialists would have been locked into those rates). The network is owned by CityFibre now.

Soldato
Yeah runs Plex and the VM playing around with stuff. I won’t lie the install guys fibrenation I think took 3 attempts to install it :p

only downside is the Modem & Router box is quite bulky, has a battery backup in it as well. Not sure how worthwhile that is in the real world mind.

Soldato
UFO was a TalkTalk and Sky collaboration on a trial FTTP deployment, it's priced to generate some return so that billing systems can be tested etc. but also to make it a no-brainer option for people covered by the network. I doubt
it would have ever gone to a wider deployment at that price (maybe trialists would have been locked into those rates). The network is owned by CityFibre now.

Still rolling out around York and surrounding areas. Where we live now only came live in December last year I think. My friend has been with them since pretty much the start 2 years ago.

Soldato
Anyone on zen internet FTTP who has anything above the 330 package, can you please tell me how many ports you all have on your ONT boxes?

I say this after yet another issue with Zen, yesterday i finally managed to get a BT engineer to come out after Zen tech got fed up with me complaining and sent one out.
The open reach engineer was a High level complaints resolver apparently and seemed to know his stuff. He checked all the wiring outside the house which wasnt very well setup apparently, and changed the ONT box.
Now he checked the light coming through and said we were capable of getting 700mb without even needing the upgraded cable at the exchange which is required for 1gb services.
When we tride to get internet via the zen fritz!box i couldnt get anything, so the engineer said he hadnt needed to call a provider before to give them the serial or anything but to try that, he got a call and had to leave due to an RTA and a broadband pole being struck or something.

So eventually i got through to zen they took the serial number but said the port on the ONT must be faulty and the engineer would need to come straight back, time is getting on now, 7pm ish.

After me sending the engineer some picks of the serial numbers and him convinced there was nothing wrong with his work he did some digging with people high up at zen.

Apparently the issue is that Zen still use the older ONT boxes which require a port 2 for them to commition and provide services. This of course is an issue as apparently mine is faulty and old tech.

So at 8pm the engineer to his credit came back and re-fitted the old ONT box, and indeed he was correct and the service sparked into life.

So apparently if you have a 4 port ONT box they are old and now not supplied by Openreach and its Zens implementation thats the issue, also the 4 port cant support much more than the 330 service apparently.

Soldato
Single port ONT here on 500 package. Although its the one that comes with a BBU, even thought it's not needed (our phone line is over the old line still with Zen).

It's this one :

our-router-jpg.218

Soldato
This is very weird, ive been told zen cant supply services if you dont have a port 2 on the ONT, the plot thickens, i had a 1 port unit installed yesterday and zen wouldnt work?
My case manager has emailed me finally and said he hasnt had the time to look at the finer details of my case as his work load is so big, ive replied and informed him im not happy.

Back
Top Bottom