Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Soldato
This has been addressed many times, including recently by Phil Spencer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-xbox-one-exclusives-held-back-meme-phil-spencer

Developers don't seem to have a problem making games for PC which work across different configurations.

No they don't, but they also choose the minimum specs so it's a moving target.

If they really wanted to on pc they could have an ssd as minimum spec, 2060 etc etc etc.

Not a console spec from 7 years ago.

Soldato
No they don't, but they also choose the minimum specs so it's a moving target.

If they really wanted to on pc they could have an ssd as minimum spec, 2060 etc etc etc.

Not a console spec from 7 years ago.
Slightly off topic but I think SSD should be minium now, phase mechanical drives out.

Especially since Xbox and ps5 is SSD based, I haven't had a mechanical drive in my pc for years now

Soldato
I'll still end up buying one at launch since over it's lifetime it will be worth it but PS5 certainly does seem to have more interesting titles. Game Pass is the saving grace and I get that MS don't want to leave XB1/XB1X owners in the cold but surely the whole point of a new console is to enabled new games/experiences. If all we're going to get is more resolution compared to XB1X then they might find people struggling to justify it. Certainly if I could only afford one I'd be going PS5 at launch.

I think we left the new experiences behind a while back unfortunately, unless you count VR which has got to be the only genuine wow moment of this generation for me.

The PS4 and Xbox One weren't that big a jump from the previous generation. Next gen is just another spec bump, yes the SSD upgrade could be a great improvement but it's not going to revolutionise the games we play. Hope I'm wrong though.

People were talking about Ratchet and Clank and saying this wouldn't be possible last gen due to streaming of assets etc., I must have missed something as it looked just like the last game.

Soldato
I don't get Microsoft's strategy here. They've made everything cross gen so the games don't look any better than current gen games. What is the reason to buy a new Xbox at this point?

That's always been the case for console launch titles. Killzone on the PS4 looks like a PS3 game but with brighter textures.

Next generation doesn't seem to be about better graphics, it's more about higher screen resolution at 4K and quicker loading times.

Soldato
Any chance of a poll?

'did the showcase persuade you to buy a series x?'

Day one

I was day one... But I think I'll wait until some good exclusives are released.

I was day one... But now I'm leaning towards the ps5

12tf machine.... Or 1.2tf?

Or something like that.

Soldato
That's always been the case for console launch titles. Killzone on the PS4 looks like a PS3 game but with brighter textures.

Next generation doesn't seem to be about better graphics, it's more about higher screen resolution at 4K and quicker loading times.
I think your memory may be slightly off here. Killzone was one of the few games that actually did look like a generation jump, there was plenty of other games that didn't however.

I think the problem here is more when you compare with some of the games that Sony showed, they were literally not possible in current gen so the difference is a lot bigger, and that's not just a graphics thing either, Ratchet was a great example of something not possible on current consoles

Soldato
As a xbox one owner i dont see any reason to upgrade. Not a single one.

One big, stonker
of a reason: 30 frames per second of the old Xbox versus 60/100 frames per second for the new one. It is a Marketers worst nightmare.

I totally get what MS/Sony are
doing this generation, the problem is and i am not saying this is you but you can see the problem on twitter right now.

Little timmy pastes static screenshot of horizon dawn zero
and ‘random naughty dog game’ into discussion, points, says new Xbox console is worthless.

There is no understanding at this level of owner that all these games were running at 30fps, sometimes less than that.

Big parts of the console industry are geared to keep timmy on twitter happy with his 30fps screenshot friendly game and PC gamers like myself unable to play.

PC Gamers will
buy the new console and outspend timmy plus, give microsoft a
new foothold in our living rooms that they never had before.

That is is the gamble being made right now. Timmy might grumble on Twitter but there are
only so many like him that can spend £600 on a console and accessories.

Soldato
I think your memory may be slightly off here. Killzone was one of the few games that actually did look like a generation jump, there was plenty of other games that didn't however.

Not with me, I had the PS4 Killzone bundle on release and I remember saying to my friend it looks like a PS3 game and the rain effects on the first level were terrible.

Soldato
For me it's still PS5 at launch. I'll probably grab an Xbox for Halo/Forza and the gampass subscription when the cheaper digital only one launches though.

The biggest complaint I have is that an awful lot of the game MS showed didn't look particularly "next-gen". Not sure if that's because they're still promoting backwards compatibility with the OG xbox one?

Soldato
I honestly thought MS was going to come out guns blazing and impress from the start this generation in view of their miserable effort with the current gen,

But after seeing this it was very underwhelming and I really don't see anything next gen here.

I was surprised that Forza was still 'early in development' I would have put money on that being a release title.

Ohh well :(

Back
Top Bottom