My hair transplant journey

Man of Honour
Good luck. I accepted my hair loss in my early 20's and its not something I could spend money on as I would like a guaranteed proper fix for the cash.
Same (but I lost it in my 30's). One of the problems with hair transplants is that you often have to continue using drugs like Finasteride for the rest of your life to stop the remaining hair falling out. That's very expensive long term and inconvenient. If it does still fall out then the scarring from the earlier transplant can sometimes be visible. The alternative was to just start clipping it myself and save ££££££ not only on such drugs and the operation but also on the savings made by not needing to go to a barber every few weeks. At a rough guess I've saved over £1200 on barber costs alone. Even better is the fact I never have the hassle of drying my hair after a shower anymore. I love it :)

Good luck to the OP and I hope it does everything he wants. But it wasn't for me when I started losing it. Perhaps things have changed now though.

Last edited:
Associate
Good luck buddy,

ive been looking into this myself, i priced up 4k having it done here in the UK though. i dont suit a bald head so i refuse to whip the whole thing off. id be very interested to see the results!

Soldato
OP
Good luck buddy,

ive been looking into this myself, i priced up 4k having it done here in the UK though. i dont suit a bald head so i refuse to whip the whole thing off. id be very interested to see the results!

Cheers.
A friend of mine had it done in the UK and spent 8k for 1600 grafts, he had it done about 18 months ago, it 's not great and he's pretty disappointed.
When I first looked into transplants my initial thoughts were to avoid Turkey but the more you research I think unless you're spending 8k at an absolute minimum for me the UK wasn't an option.
Turkey have some of the best transplant surgeons in Europe.

How many grafts have they quoted for 4k?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I follow someone on YouTube who had it done, worth a watch.

Yeah I've seen a few of his videos, he's had great results.
If I remember correctly he went to a clinic in London that charges top prices. Did he get it for free to advertise it or something or at a reduced rate?
He appears to have a great donor area that's very dense, I'm sure mine isn't as good as his so I've got more realistic expectations.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yeah I've seen a few of his videos, he's had great results.
If I remember correctly he went to a clinic in London that charges top prices. Did he get it for free to advertise it or something or at a reduced rate?
He appears to have a great donor area that's very dense, I'm sure mine isn't as good as his so I've got more realistic expectations.

He paid for it, big bucks, but he earns a lot so it's feasible for him.

Associate
Cheers.
A friend of mine had it done in the UK and spent 8k for 1600 grafts, he had it done about 18 months ago, it 's not great and he's pretty disappointed.
When I first looked into transplants my initial thoughts were to avoid Turkey but the more you research I think unless you're spending 8k at an absolute minimum for me the UK wasn't an option.
Turkey have some of the best transplant surgeons in Europe.

How many grafts have they quoted for 4k?

i cant remember how many grafts, but i think it was for 2000 hair strands (for lack of the proper word) unless thats what you class as a graft?

i wouldnt be put off by turkey personally, but i think id only go based on recommendations

Soldato
OP
i cant remember how many grafts, but i think it was for 2000 hair strands (for lack of the proper word) unless thats what you class as a graft?

i wouldnt be put off by turkey personally, but i think id only go based on recommendations

I think unless you've only got fairly minor hairloss and just want a bit of filling for the temples 2000 grafts just isn't enough. And if it's that minor that 2000 would suffice I wouldn't personally have it done.

Soldato
A work colleague had it done a couple of years ago. He booked his entire years worth of holiday in one go and was very coy about where he was going. When he returned he wore a cap all day and finally admitted it after constant ribbing. It looked very scabby initially and sort of fell out but once it settled and regrew it actually looked very good. I believe he spent about 8k on it but he's an Essex boy with all the comedy teeth/hire purchase M3/Wrist Rock accoutrements so he didn't flinch in paying it.

Personally, I'm fine clippering my head, it's the damn hair that's sprouted up everywhere else that bothers me more and would probably be where I would spend my money (if I had any) getting that removed.

Soldato
I even see people using dye on their bald spots when they come in the shop! It looks like gravy browning!

As for hair transplant, if you really want it then good luck to you. Women pay for 'things' so why not men pay for extra hair.

You could do a comb over from under your arm pits!

Soldato
As soon as I started to thin in my late 20s I just clippered the whole lot off.

Similar to me but I was in my mid 30's. I was a bit pee'd off by it to start with but once I grade 1'd it all off I felt a lot better that I just didn't have to worry about it any more.

I had heard of transplants before, but my worry is, as a person that was going bald, what would a transplant look like if I continued to lose my hair! I would just have a small tuft at the front where the graft was and nothing else, it would look really bad so I didn't seriously entertain the idea.

I hope it goes well for you @chipperhead and you get the desired result.:)

Caporegime
I know it's maybe a bit of a leap ... but

Question: Why are some of the richest men on earth bald if they have the means to eradicate it?

Answer: It's not possible, you're wasting your money.

Because not everyone can have it done. If your donor area at the back of your head is not sufficient, then you're screwed. No matter how much money you have.

Elon Musk has had it done though.

Caporegime
Hope it goes well OP, personally I'd not bother and just go for the shaved look but meh...

Don't you basically have to end up taking the pills that prevent hair loss (and that might have prevented this in the first place) on an ongoing basis after the transplant?

OP at the end of September:

5geaTlU.jpg

I think at 46 I would have just left it.

LOL there was a divorced guy at an old workplace who started dating then remarried a much younger woman in his mid 40s... it was quite amusing to watch - one day he turned up and all the grey hair had gone, the next week he was dressing like a 20 yr old, and a couple of weeks later his teeth were bright white, full on Hollywood smile etc..

Not knocking it too much as, ultimately, fair play to him for taking some care over his appearance etc.. and if it makes him happy etc... but still, it was quite amusing - "hey, what happened to your grey hair" "I don't know what you're talking about". "Hey why are your teeth so white now" "erm... I got an electric toothbrush for Christmas"

was plenty of amusement as he'd just deny everything and get rather wound up about it all... :D

Back
Top Bottom