What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Air Con stinking!

Used an air bomb which worked for a couple of days!

I have now taken apart the footwell and sprayed bactericide into the condesor matrix - seems to of cured the smell of grot and the car smells like a hygienists.

Silver hook air con cleaning foam was used fyi

Soldato
I used an ENET cable and E-Sys to change the idrive in the M140i from id5 to id6, it much prefer the large active tiles :)

Now I need to research other things to change, perhaps stop the radio playing until I lock the car... it's a bit annoying. Probably too specific of a thing to change tho :(

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I used an ENET cable and E-Sys to change the idrive in the M140i from id5 to id6, it much prefer the large active tiles :)

Now I need to research other things to change, perhaps stop the radio playing until I lock the car... it's a bit annoying. Probably too specific of a thing to change tho :(
What’s required to do this? How easy is it to **** it up?

I prefer id6 but scared of messing something up. The cable is only £15 apparently. What’s the catch?

Soldato
What’s required to do this? How easy is it to **** it up?

I prefer id6 but scared of messing something up. The cable is only £15 apparently. What’s the catch?

Its not too bad, although I think there is potential for messing something up.

Basically you can save a backup of the cars current configuration for all ECUS (23 I think it was), so thats nice!

The modification itself is looking for the correct ecu, HU_NBT2 i think it was. Once expanded and the desired option found, upon editing its not a 'free-for-all', it displays the options present. I took mine from id5_plus_plus to id6_lite IIRC. The cable was £10 on eBay, and the dude chucked the software on a disk too, which was handy.

I was going to do a noobies guide for one of the BMW forums, but id need to sign up first!

Associate
How much difference is there? I hate the m140i and it's crap infotainment restrictions - to my mind absolute waste of cash having the pro system - don't even get me started on the Harmon crapdom speakers!

Soldato
Air Con stinking!

Used an air bomb which worked for a couple of days!

I have now taken apart the footwell and sprayed bactericide into the condesor matrix - seems to of cured the smell of grot and the car smells like a hygienists.

Silver hook air con cleaning foam was used fyi
This stuff works well for me, sometimes it takes a couple of cleans if it's bad though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/K2-FRESH-C...eywords=aircon+cleaner&qid=1595604702&sr=8-11

Those "bombs" used on their own don't work, they just mask the smell for a while and don't get rid of the root cause (bacteria). Because they don't clean the inside of the ducts.

I did mine a few months ago. Worth noting (apologies if you did this) but you should remove the old cabin filter before using the cleaner and then afterwards, replace with a fresh cabin filter. I replaced mine with an activated charcoal filter with fungicidal effect (added silver layer). I used the STP Aircon Cleaner from Halfords.

Thanks.

Soldato
Yea the filter will get in the way and it's housing needs cleaning too.

Anyway, brand new electronic throttle body fitted to the Elise today after the motor in the old one started to die. Makes a huge difference to how smooth the throttle is :D

Caporegime
Sold about a grands worth of E30 parts today, crazy how much this stuff is worth now. I made a £300 profit on one item that I paid £200 for a couple of years ago...

Primera blew its manifold gasket in the middle (expected) so have bought an SR20DET genuine metal gasket.

Soldato
Not today but over the last four weeks i've been getting my mothballed due to covid ST220 ready to MOT and put back on the road. I got carried away.

The brake pipe on the passenger side above the rear subframe was getting a bit crusty & the front pads were down to about 3mm. The solution was to remove the subframe, & rear arms, strip it all down & take it back to bare metal, then paint it all back up again along with polybushing as I may aswell while in there.

All the steel pipes have been replaced now with Kunifer apart from the front ones, rubber hoses replaced with braided lines & then as I needed new pads i thought stuff it, may aswell fit bigger discs & calipers too.

Associate
The ARB bushes in the FN2 looked a bit tired so had them changed. New vs old:
ILXPYZ.jpg

Also removed the engine mount inserts from the top mount which the last owner installed. No more stupid engine vibration now. Also rotated the tyres. All went smooth so had a bit of time left.

Decided to give the DC2 exhaust some Autosol

Before (at Torque GT a year ago on import):
X4Yvg4.jpg

After:
FfAcgb.jpg

nJ7sEK.jpg

F24gWx.jpg

RmFdmp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom