• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Wonder if Sony just target the 4k 30 with this then in a year's time bring out a Pro with gpu numbers similar / above those on the series X and hit 4k 60.

No - two consoles are too similar for there to be a difference required. You're suggesting the PS5 is heavily under-powered, it sits at 15% down in a perfect storm (XBox at full pelt and PS5 throttled down).
There is no way 15% is making the difference between 4k 30 and 4k 60.

There is absolutely no way a Pro version is appearing after one year - it simply wouldn't be needed. There are doubts that any mid-generation specification increase will be required. It is unlikely 8k gaming is going to suddenly have an upsurge.
It was 4k gaming that forced the mid-gen upgrades this time around.

Caporegime

I'm a bit in two minds about that.

Was it because Sony wanted to sell their 4K TVs with hardware that could make use of them or was it to stop people disappearing mid-gen over to PC?

Because if it's the latter, then it will probably happen again in four years.

Caporegime
Wonder if Sony just target the 4k 30 with this then in a year's time bring out a Pro with gpu numbers similar / above those on the series X and hit 4k 60.

PS5 should hit 4K 60fps with plenty of room to spare if they bring out a pro further down the line it will probably be to target 8K (better GPU and higher bandwidth HDMI).

Last edited:
Associate
No - two consoles are too similar for there to be a difference required. You're suggesting the PS5 is heavily under-powered, it sits at 15% down in a perfect storm (XBox at full pelt and PS5 throttled down).
There is no way 15% is making the difference between 4k 30 and 4k 60.

There is absolutely no way a Pro version is appearing after one year - it simply wouldn't be needed. There are doubts that any mid-generation specification increase will be required. It is unlikely 8k gaming is going to suddenly have an upsurge.
Are you sure that's right? I was pretty sure the PS5 was 15% behind in a best case scenario when it was at full throttle, but probably couldn't sustain that level and the norm would be substantially below that? Perhaps I misunderstood, but am interested to read some more on that if you have it?
My understanding is that Sony had set a power draw level for the PS5 as their way to control the thermals, and both the GPU and CPU speed were tied to the power draw - if they draw too much power then they will throttle down in speed to improve thermal response........whereas the Xbox maintained a more traditional power management where both CPU and GPU are at set speeds (unless MST is utilised), so am curious how the Xbox would be top end 15% more powerful?
I'd expect it to be at least 15% more powerful at the very least.

Last edited:
Associate
I think that Sony have made the right moves with the PS5. They have the easier console for devs apparently and that will make a huge difference imo. People are pitting the Tflops numbers against each other but imo that's a mistake.

History tells us that Sony have the more creative studios and if what we have seen already from the PS4 is anything to go by, then the games on PS5 are going be stellar to say the least.

Associate
Apparently they started researching the PS5 before the other team and got an APU from AMD that wasn't as complex or as powerful. Now you have Shuhei Yoshida from Sony saying it's the easiest in the history of Playstation to code for or something like that and also the Crytek engineer who claimed it was easier than the other system but had to retract his statement for personal reasons. I believe him and I think it was retracted due to the toxicity he received. I could be wrong though.

Mark Cerny has stated that they built this console with serious consideration in mind for the developers. It's just my opinion anyway. Take it with a large grain of salt.

Associate
I would take all these noises about "easier to develop for" with a huge pinch of salt. You hear the same thing with every console release. I do, however, think Sony have some of the best development houses under their umbrella, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out..........I think Xbox Gamepass is a real killer (a whole portfolio of good games on the consoles release day for peanuts), and I'd like to see Sony do something similar.

Associate
The next gen is gonna be great. This gen had some of the best games, just not as much as the last gen. I am trying to be careful about what I type in each respective thread. It's not easy to discuss the other console in either thread without triggering someone lol.

Soldato
PS5 should hit 4K 60fps with plenty of room to spare if they bring out a pro further down the line it will probably be to target 8K (better GPU and higher bandwidth HDMI).

8K playback maybe. 8K gaming... not a chance.

Consoles are using the same architecture, albeit with some overcomplicated SSD arrangement on the PS5. So how can it be better than the other to program for?

Soldato
8K playback maybe. 8K gaming... not a chance.

Consoles are using the same architecture, albeit with some overcomplicated SSD arrangement on the PS5. So how can it be better than the other to program for?

The SSD may seem over complicated to you, but the developer doesn't actually have to worry about all that, they just pull what they want from it at silly speeds that's kind of the whole point of all the other stuff.

There's more to developing for hardware than just the architecture.

For example the xbox uses a split ram configuration so 10gb of it is slower than the other 6gb. PS5 uses one pool of ram all at the same speed.

Sony by all accounts have gone out of their way to make the thing as easy to develop for as possible with developer input, they wanted the "time to triangle" (god knows if thats actually a real term used) to be as short as possible. These two things although similar in raw performance (xbox has that edge on paper) are fairly different in the approach.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently they started researching the PS5 before the other team and got an APU from AMD that wasn't as complex or as powerful. Now you have Shuhei Yoshida from Sony saying it's the easiest in the history of Playstation to code for or something like that and also the Crytek engineer who claimed it was easier than the other system but had to retract his statement for personal reasons. I believe him and I think it was retracted due to the toxicity he received. I could be wrong though.

Mark Cerny has stated that they built this console with serious consideration in mind for the developers. It's just my opinion anyway. Take it with a large grain of salt.

This is getting absolutely embarrassing now. At every turn it seems the PS fan base is determined to prove that their choices are better than Microsoft’s, contrary to the truth of the situation.

The facts of the matter:

Series X is at a minimum 20% faster for GPU throughput, with ray tracing performance being over 30% faster as well. This is precisely why Microsoft have already been announcing several 4K/60fps and 120fps games whereas Sony have been generally unable to.

Microsoft have arguably announced a more diverse range of console exclusive titles for the Series X than Sony for the PS5.

They are also delivering all these titles through gamepass, which means at launch Xbox owners will be paying at the most say £15 to play all these games whereas on PS5 you’ll be paying £50-60 to play the DLC that is Spider-Man Miles Morales.

If you don’t like the particular games on Xbox then that’s fine but making blatantly false claims that the PS5 is the better hardware / Xbox don’t have any exclusive games / the ecosystem is in anyway comparable etc, is simply proving that your viewpoint is totally biased and undermines your entire argument. I.e. you just look like an ignorant fool.

I expected better from the OcUK forum, it’s starting to read like Reddit in here (scary as I swear the population there consists of braindead children exclusively), which is disappointing. Let’s all try to stick with facts rather than make believe fanboy talk, ok. I hope that someone is able to actually reply with an intelligent response to any of this, but sadly the best most can often do it seems is to ignore the truth and just bleat out the same Sony propaganda over and over again.

Caporegime
What are you babbling on about @pioneer2000

The quote says the hardware for PS5 is not as powerful, just that the tool chain for PS5 is easier to use for extracting the hardware performance quicker. The same as it was on PS4 vs Xbox One because you weren’t fannying about with ESRAM for starters. If you’re a developer trying to get a basic version of your game up and running, it can be done even more quickly on the PS5 than on PS4.

Soldato
Doesn't matter if Microsoft consol is more powerful if it doesn't have the games

Series X is more powerful than PS4 that's a fact however imo Sony has the better games.

Based on what's shown so far Sony games appeal to me more than Microsoft regardless of Microsoft power.

That being said Sony has not in any way shape or form got anything service wise that matches Game Pass.

Plus side for me I have Game Pass on PC so I'll enjoy the odd title Microsoft does that appeals to me, for example medium looks great

Back
Top Bottom