2 Pence trick to remove limescale from taps

Associate
Apologies if this is old news!

I was bemoaning about replacing my taps as they were looking a bit rough, I tried Cif etc, but the results only lasted a few days.

Well, I got told of this trick the other day and it only bloody works!

If you have a tap which is clad in lime scale, grab a 2 pence coin and gently scrape, it will remove the limescale and leave the tap looking as new and completely unscathed.

I'm using it on chrome taps and the sink surround, zero scrapes etc, and now looks as good as new.

Associate
OP
Crikey, I didn't think of that, I just grabbed what I had! I think you are right!

Just checked the one I used - dated 1971 :eek:

Its a keeper! I wish I had before and after pictures.

Soldato
the limescale that's hard to remove is usually right at the end of the spout - about the most inaccessible place ?
all I've ever heard is ovenight vinegar soaked cotton wool you mold around them, and cling, or plastic wrap.

Soldato
the limescale that's hard to remove is usually right at the end of the spout - about the most inaccessible place ?
all I've ever heard is ovenight vinegar soaked cotton wool you mold around them, and cling, or plastic wrap.

Tried the white vinegar and bicarb trick but with mixed results

Associate
I went with a kinetico premier compact. So far it has been a great unit but it was expensive! The installer did a really neat job of all the pipe work.

Just had a look at that and yeah that's pricey. Will try and see if there is something a bit more in my budget.

Associate
Being ocuk forum members I'm surprised people have anything less than £20 notes to hand :D

We use a Combimate system which seems to work pretty well. £30 a year in replacement sealing rings and refills and that it.

Soldato
The best thing I've found (bar a water softener of course) is something like Calsolve or similar descalers.. I believe it's just citric acid in granular form, you pop some in warm water, let it dissolve then apply to said surfaces.. for a kettle you can boil about 1/3 kettle of water with some in and it'll remove the limescale completely, and for spouts etc, I just put some in a jug/bowl and dip the spout in for 30 seconds.. you can see it effervescing and the limescale disappear before your eyes.

I bought a 1Kg tub which will last forever and I've taken some to work and descaled all the kettles there as they suffer badly through constant use.

Back
Top Bottom