Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars suck?

Associate
100% agree with @MookJong. Coincidentally dug out my my collection of original SW figures the other day.

Star Trek, my old man loved it, I just never got into the universe. The only Star Trek film I watched and enjoyed was (in the eighties) the Wrath of Khan, kind of like the Empire Strikes Back of Star Trek. I was never a trekkie, I think the film with the whale put me off for life. Not watched the reboot films, only they do sound like they are pretty decent.

Back to Star Wars, for the modern films, I loved Rogue One, as for the rest, the last two - never watched and hated the prequels. Curious about Solo, but then Harrison is such a big act to follow.

The originals and Rogue One - other than that just like all the guff sequels churned out - Robocop 3, Jaws 3, Rocky 5 - I erase from memory and they don't exist in my bubble. :p

Soldato
I love Star Wars. It's got some great depth to it when they get it right (the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin, Order 66, the force, complex plots, clone wars, battles in Rogue One). However, when they get it wrong (entire Sequel trilogy, "characters" in Rogue One, Solo, Special Editions guff), they get it VERY wrong.
The Disney sequels have really tainted my love of the IP though. I'm definitely not the fan I used to be before TFA.

Caporegime
Loved the first three as a youngster and still do occasionally watch them all the way through.

Out of all the new ones, there aren't any that I dislike though, of course, none will ever deliver the same experience as the originals did.

I just tend to enjoy them as films in their own right (Rogue One was very good, however).

I've yet to check out much of this Mandalorian thingy, so maybe that's on the cards soon.

Man of Honour
1, 2, and 3 were great. Loved pod racing, the idea of midichlorians, the politics of the trade union/senate, epic droid vs clones battles, General Grievous (cool lightsabre fights and cool voice acting), and the Anakin/Padme romance story. Christensen is so convincing and you could feel he was torn between light and dark. I don't get why the CGI got so bad in 4, and everything's so dirty like the never cleaned the set? It isn't like the previous 3 didn't do well so the budget must have been there. Stopped watching 5 when the abominable snowman puppet turned up... by the sound of it I didn't miss much.

Man of Honour
for me
Voyager > next generation > DS9

but I'd imagine most people are probably the opposite way.

maybe it's because sky1 always had voyager on as I got home from school.

yea neelix was annoying and I wasn't that fond of kes either

I think with DS9 I didn't really like most of the characters, maybe my opinion would differ if I forced my self to watch it again since it's probably 10-20 years ago when I last watched any of it.

No, I’m with you that.

It’s a shame Disney has destroyed the Star Wars franchise. The sequels had so much potential. Other than rogue one, loved that film.

because they are for kids.

Then they’ve failed. I don’t hear many of the kids I teach talking about Star Wars, but they’re all obsessed with marvel.

Soldato
Then they’ve failed. I don’t hear many of the kids I teach talking about Star Wars, but they’re all obsessed with marvel.

Not really a fair comparison to the originals as there was much less about then.

I love the idea of Star Wars, the lore, the Force etc but I think only ESB is a great film and even then there are bits of it I can happily skip through. I find all of them watchable just because I like Sci-Fi (Although AotC is the hardest to watch for me - love scenes in the field eugh). I actually quite enjoy Solo, just thought it was entertaining as a non-die hard.

But the films are for kids, if people are really into them that's fine, but yeah the excuse they are made for kids is true. They clearly didn't grab kids attention as much these days due to all the other stuff available but they are for kids, they are about space wizards with light swords :p

Associate
OP
Say what you want about Star Wars, but the franchise brought us the badass villain of all time in cinema history.

Darth Vader has its own "entrance music" and can swing a sword and launch heavy machinery simultaneously.

Not to mention the epic voice and awesome outfit. A villian you can actually respect... like Hans Gruber.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I actually like all the films to some degree, except Solo which is pants. My son, now 12, likes star wars a lot. Kids still enjoy it but there is much much more choice these days. Back in the day star wars was pretty much all there was.

Associate
I've never been a fan of starwars, I don't like the early startrek movies/series either though.

I rewatched voyager during lockdown thoroughly enjoyed it :D

I loved Voyager! Had a slight crush on captain Janeway!!

I don't know if I could do the picard series again beverly krusher? or whatever her name was and her kid were annoying as hell

Soldato
When Star Wars first came out I had to borrow a young cousin to take so I could watch it.
:D I was 17/18 when the cinema re-release of Ep IV came out in the 90's.
Me and my mate went to Odeon Leicester Square to see it, as we'd never been able to watch SW on the big screen.
So there we were waiting by the fence opposite the theatre. The doors open and we make our move to go buy tickets.

Unfortunately, two policemen were walking towards us and stopped us because they thought we were acting suspiciously and walking away because we saw them approaching.
We explained the situation and they didn't believe us at first because "You're a bit old for that aren't you, lads?" :D :D :D

Last edited:
Associate
It's been some time since I've seen any but I wouldn't say it sucked... I would say the franchise became underwhelming for me though, because I watched later than the others and it has been hyped a lot since then.

Soldato
TNG > all the movies > Picard > Voyager > Enterprise > DS9 > Discovery.

Star Wars ep 4-6 (originsl movies) > new ones > ep 1-3.

TNG is class. Obviously coincided with my early teenage years, coming home after school 6pm bbc2 mid 90s.

I watch the repeats almost every day now. Still class.

Back
Top Bottom