Recommendations for Gas Barbecue

Soldato
I have a Multi fuel BBQ (Gas & Charcoal) the gas side gets used loads, if the weather is OK i will fire it up mid week (multiple times) and 2 mins later i'm cooking.

Yes taste is not the same as charcoal, but i would not do a long cook on the gas grill. Both fuels serve a purpose, those who are unable to see that are not worth listening to because most of the time they have no experience of using both.

Yea completely agree, they compliment each other.

Why limit yourself to only one then try and argue it's better than the other?

Soldato
Because gas is 5 minutes quicker. These gas converts probably never used a chimney starter either.

Exactly!

I have a Multi fuel BBQ (Gas & Charcoal) the gas side gets used loads, if the weather is OK i will fire it up mid week (multiple times) and 2 mins later i'm cooking.

Yes taste is not the same as charcoal, but i would not do a long cook on the gas grill. Both fuels serve a purpose, those who are unable to see that are not worth listening to because most of the time they have no experience of using both.

Why let the weather limit you? It was raining on Friday night and I wanted to cook some lamb chops. I lit the chimney at 8.40 and at 8.55 they were on the grill. I used the time while the charcoal was getting up to temp to prep the rest of the meal.

Man of Honour
Because gas is 5 minutes quicker. These gas converts probably never used a chimney starter either.

Bla, bla, so childish. With a three burner or more gas grill you have a huge range of cooking options (you can smoke, rotisserie, induction etc.) You discovered chimney starters and think you are a pit master...bless.

& yes I use chimney starters for the multiple weber kettles I have alongside my gas grill. The gas one is brilliant for about 70 percent of the things I do. If I'm smoking a brisket, no.

Buy better friends! Might as well get yourself an induction hob for the garden if you’re going gas or save even more money and get one of the 30 quid George Forman grills :p

At least you put the thought in to make it amusing even if you are wrong.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I didn't say gas was bad did I? Learn to read.

That comment was more directed at the entire tedium of the 'debate'. Get over yourself. Patronishing nonsense like always on any thread mentioining gas.

The next bit about the starter was addressing your comment.

Associate
I was actually thinking about getting matching "His-&-Her" charcoal and gas barbecues...

What made you go with gas? Would you recommend what you have? What charcoal barbecue are you going to get next?

I have a fire pit thing, have not attempted to cook anything on in yet but looking forward to the inevitable singed eyebrows, fingers etc

Yes, I realise I am strange but currently re accuaintancing myself with pain

Man of Honour
It amazes me how expensive BBQs can be.

£50 kettle style job from Asda, throw in 3x bags of instalight coals and it’ll be hot for hours, probably still warm in the morning. Add in the fact that BBQs are inherently messy and a nuisance to clean...

A BBQ is not something that necessitates a lot of money, IMO.

edit - I do also find it strange when people go stingy on the coals. Throw them in there, get it mega hot!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've had my gas weber for probably 8 years now, the grill is in fantastic condition. I made sure I went for one with a cast iron grill so it can be maintained easily.

Soldato
Seems like enough people have hammered you for considering gas so I won't bother jumping in too. I'll just say that heston one looks ugly as sin!

Oh no I can't help myself.

As much as I might understand the benefits of a gas bbq, I could never ever get excited by one. One of my favourite parts of cooking outside is building and maintaining the fire. It's just soulless clicking on a gas cylinder. I suppose you could say that weber genesis in the OP looks nice objectively, but it makes me think of a middle aged male model posing for a costco advert surrounded by a few attractive ladies drinking miller lite with some plastic sausages and burgers on the grill.

Rant over.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Seems like enough people have hammered you for considering gas so I won't bother jumping in too. I'll just say that heston one looks ugly as sin!

Oh no I can't help myself.

As much as I might understand the benefits of a gas bbq, I could never ever get excited by one. One of my favourite parts of cooking outside is building and maintaining the fire. It's just soulless clicking on a gas cylinder. I suppose you could say that weber genesis in the OP looks nice objectively, but it makes me think of a middle aged male model posing for a costco advert surrounded by a few attractive ladies drinking miller lite with some plastic sausages and burgers on the grill.

Rant over.

On the flip side, it's 8pm and both myself and my wife are tired but we fancy putting something on the BBQ. So we turn it on, and get cooking, little to no mess. If we had a charcoal BBQ, it just wouldn't get used as much and that marinate chicken cooked against the open flame of the gas BBQ wouldn't taste nearly as good if I had shallow fried it or put in the oven.

Caporegime
On the flip side, it's 8pm and both myself and my wife are tired but we fancy putting something on the BBQ. So we turn it on, and get cooking, little to no mess. If we had a charcoal BBQ, it just wouldn't get used as much and that marinate chicken cooked against the open flame of the gas BBQ wouldn't taste nearly as good if I had shallow fried it or put in the oven.

i have a Griddle which gives the ridges marks, same thing surely?

Soldato
I mean I literally used the words "I understand the benefits of a gas bbq". Also you can get a charcoal bbq going in less time than it takes your marinated chicken to prepare and marinate!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Heat gives a nice char too, and the fat can often be ignited on the griddle as well if you have it hot enough. Getting good flavour from a griddle isn't difficult really

Having something shallow fry in it's own fat/juice vs the fat ignite and char the food makes a huge difference. Then there's the extra mess, smell, smaller cooking area.

Back
Top Bottom