New build, terrible performance and benchmarks

Associate
OP

Yeah pretty sure all setting are fine. It appears this PC has two modes; functioning (24k score) and borked (18k score) and no idea what isn't working correctly and what triggers it.

Do you frequent dodgy websites that’s ladened with malware? Do you have any cracked or hacked DLL programmes? Do you have any pre-activated programmes or even windows? Do you have Av and malware scanner? Might be worth a scan to root out any crap.

performance degradation overtime sounds like malware to me. But could also be driver related as NVidia updates their driver very frequently so might worth an update with clean install option.

Ran malwarebytes and spybot - everything is clean. I'm fortunately old enough now that all of my software is legit. This was a completely new build, blank SSD that I install (Legit) Windows on.

I don't think this is degradation over time. It was initially fine, then went really bad. Did everything clean from scratch, including BIOS, and it fixed itself completely. Then suddenly it's gone really bad again - from a 24k 3DMark score to 18k without any indication of what happened.

I think this coincides with my secondary monitor seeming to go pop. I was kinda waiting for it to die, but as it stopped functioning and suddenly my performance hit the floor again i'm inclined to believe this is my GPU messing up.

There's also an actual issue that isn't performance-based that seems to point to my GPU - my new, functioning monitor is having the signal reset when alt-tabbing out of borderless applications. This could be an issue with the games but as it literally started happening at the same time as this I highly doubt it.

I was thinking faulty mobo, so BIOS makes sense to me at least.

So happy for you mate, it's a horrible experience!

Unfortunately back in not-fixed territory with this.

Soldato
Did you do a whole system benchmark?

do you have CPU/RAM/GPU or even SSD benchmark individually?

With those individual results you should be able to determine which component is falling behind for some reason.

I think it just have been something with windows update or drivers. Hardware hasn’t changed, it is always the driver or some setting that’s causing the cripple. Other than malware.

have you ran malware byte or whatever that programme is called. Do you have a firewall (not an AV type of firewall but a router type of firewall - Hardware firewall). Are you able to view your network connection and System resources? To see if anything else is eating up resources?

Associate
OP
Ok so I wiped everything and started fresh again, and it appears to have gone back to normal - again.

I'm slightly concerned that this is twice now. The first time I chalked up to BIOS issues but this time I've not touched it. It appears Windows managed to corrupt in some way that affected GPU performance.

Soldato
Ok so I wiped everything and started fresh again, and it appears to have gone back to normal - again.

I'm slightly concerned that this is twice now. The first time I chalked up to BIOS issues but this time I've not touched it. It appears Windows managed to corrupt in some way that affected GPU performance.
Use a backup software to back up your system incrementally at each driver installation state. Whole system back up right now (as you got time it working) VEEAM is still free to use I believe. Then you can roll back the drive when you found out which one is the culprit. If yo don’t find an issue then you can leave it and have the back up there until u need it again.

I suspect it may be the nvidia drivers or some processes are at the background eating up resources causing low scores.

things like windows update downloads, indexing, or even windows improvements, origin/steam updates can all affect the results.

Associate
OP
Use a backup software to back up your system incrementally at each driver installation state. Whole system back up right now (as you got time it working) VEEAM is still free to use I believe. Then you can roll back the drive when you found out which one is the culprit. If yo don’t find an issue then you can leave it and have the back up there until u need it again.

I suspect it may be the nvidia drivers or some processes are at the background eating up resources causing low scores.

things like windows update downloads, indexing, or even windows improvements, origin/steam updates can all affect the results.

It's possible that the nvidia or windows update was borked in some way, although i'm running the latest versions of each now with no issues.

I doubt it's a background process that was causing issues - when I run the benchmarks I have all background tasks killed that can be, and I tested multiple times over a few days, so a rogue windows update every time I run the benchmark seems a stretch.

Also really does not explain the monitor issues with alt-tabbing in borderless games. It was that issue that clued me in to having this issue again - that pretty much has to be either GPU or drivers (Ruled out monitor on an alternative system).

Soldato
It's possible that the nvidia or windows update was borked in some way, although i'm running the latest versions of each now with no issues.

I doubt it's a background process that was causing issues - when I run the benchmarks I have all background tasks killed that can be, and I tested multiple times over a few days, so a rogue windows update every time I run the benchmark seems a stretch.

Also really does not explain the monitor issues with alt-tabbing in borderless games. It was that issue that clued me in to having this issue again - that pretty much has to be either GPU or drivers (Ruled out monitor on an alternative system).

make a system wide backup and make a ghost copy of your boot drive also if you got spare SSDs etc. that way you know your system is in a state it is ok.

as i said if you got facilities to do incremental backup from now on, you can actually find out what the heck is casuing this. if you are confident about the background processes, then I would put most of my suspecion on Nvidia driver. it does have option for clean install. I only have Jedi Fallen Order atm (got other games, but I dont hardly ever touch them any more, like Elite, WoW, CS etc) so for me clean install everytime doesn't affect anything as I dont have customisation.

Soldato
Did you try running the GPU on stock non high performance settings on anything. It's really weird but it almost entire points at GPU for some reason...

Tried different PCI-E slot on mobo?

Back
Top Bottom