*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
just installed this today since I got it on the cheap. Valve Index user. great fun, thoroughly enjoying - done a couple of basic courier missions and taken down one pirate, that's it so far. Any regular players on here?

Soldato
Yep KSer backer with over 2500 hrs in it since mid 2014 all of them in VR bar a handful of hrs.

Shame FD are ditching VR for odyssey and if it is like most of EDs other not at launch features may never come back :(

Soldato
Pretty disappointed by the announcement to be honest. I'm really not sure about the direction they're heading in with updates. It strikes me that most people playing Elite Dangerous are primarily there for the flight and space travel part of the game. I doubt many would be interested in getting out of the ship and walking around the planet. You can already traverse planets with the SRV so what advantage does wandering around on foot bring other than taking longer to get anywhere?

More worrying is they didn't discuss any gameplay aspects of wandering around on foot. What are you actually going to do when you start walking around the large barrens planets Elite Dangerous limits you to just now. Because if it's going to be a case of wandering around grinding to mine minerals No Man's Sky style then I'm out! Similarly I doubt anybody wants to see Elite turn into an FPS style game.

Personally I'd far rather than added atmospheric planets and improved the mission structure. I'm finding myself increasingly disappointed by the direction Frontier seem to be taking the game and the areas they're targeting development time and future expansions at. In fact I can see the HOTAS wielding Elite hardcore actually being quite annoyed at the idea of having to get out of their ships!
Taking a leaf out of star citizens and dual universe

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I do not hold my hopes up for "walking on a planet" Sure you might get some cool gravity effects but in all honesty its the last thing i want from Elite, what they should be doing is re-working the entire way missions work their has been so many good ideas on making this fun and interesting. But what is going to happen is. Get to planet X land 30km take your SRV to withing 10km of base Y blow it up return to SRV and escape and variations of that.

The problem with ELITE is they may well have captured the galaxy but they have also made it dull, its a game for heavens sake.

Caporegime
I get the impression the game still feels as big as the Pacific Ocean but is also still only 2 inches deep. Where's the 'create a mining company' option? The 'create a Passenger transport company'? Where's the 'become an inter-galactic bounty Hunter for hire' option? It still feels like the game isn't fleshed out enough. There's a limited amount of 'stuff' to do. Players should be able to start companies, hire people to do Cargo runs, buy the spoils of other peoples mining then pay to transport it to far-flung destinations. It's just really, really shallow.

Associate
ED is my goto VR experience, but due to pressure at work I haven't really kept up with announcements or played at all. Have Frontier clarified whether the Odyssey-level game client is entirely 2D, or will we still be able to play the fight/flight components in VR?

If the latter, then I guess I'll try firing up No Man's Sky (bought but not tried) for spaceflight kicks!

Soldato
Have Frontier clarified whether the Odyssey-level game client is entirely 2D, or will we still be able to play the fight/flight components in VR?
Nope, and that usually means it's bad news, though I fully expect that base Elite/Horizons will stay VR capable. Also fully expecting further delays to Odyssey.

Soldato
Just LOL at that.
Elite has been a great advert for VR.
You've got to wonder who's making the decisions and what they were smoking.

I would expect that VR support will be re-launched once we get new headsets and gpu's.

Playing Elite on VR is simply incredible but it was just a proof-of-concept, you could'nt really do a multi-hour session on it.

the truth of it is, the current state of oled/gpu technology is just not up for it.

We need to wait another 3-5 years for the tech to catch-up - as sad as it sounds.

Associate
I wasn't surprised Odyssey won't support VR tbh, the first person aspect is something pretty new for Fdev, don't think they have ever done a game that featured it have they ?

I think incorporating VR into that would be biting off more than they can chew.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I would expect that VR support will be re-launched once we get new headsets and gpu's.

Playing Elite on VR is simply incredible but it was just a proof-of-concept, you could'nt really do a multi-hour session on it.

the truth of it is, the current state of oled/gpu technology is just not up for it.

We need to wait another 3-5 years for the tech to catch-up - as sad as it sounds.

I’d beg to differ.
I played Elite for a couple of years in VR using a CV1, 1080 and an ancient 2500.

I used to regularly play for long sessions and loved it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I still have not dabbled in VR for Elite, still not visited the SOL system for that very reason :) I just gulp at the cost of upgrading my system for it maybe SC will tip me over the edge plenty of time to save up for it :)

Associate
Seems like Fdev have released a bit more info, confirmed no VR for odyssey launch, but they are working on an implementation for it

I think it will be like how you can launch the game without horizons in the launcher.

I expected it and wasnt initially bothered by it, but after thinking about it one of the things I always thought would be cool is the ability to walk around your ship in VR, but I guess you won't be able to do that.

Associate

I saw them talking about it on Malics discord, seems like it comes from the community manager on the ED forum

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

Soldato
Typical FD response. That's not a confirmation they are working on it at all, note the 'if/when' disclaimer, it's a cop out.

Associate
It was actually the phrase "we can find a way of doing this" rather than the if/when. It seems pretty clear to me that they're dropping VR support.

The VR players in my squadron are all struggling to stay motivated to stay in the game, knowing that they're about to be abandoned by the devs. I know what it feels like: I started out playing on a Mac, support for which ended with the arrival of Horizons.

FDev seems to be driven by what shareholders want, not what customers want. Accordingly, they're always chasing the new shiny, and their longstanding quest games are withering on the vine.

Associate
I backed ED in the kickstarter, played for a while and did some missions, conflict zones, exploring, got a Cobra 3, got horizons and then other things took my interest and I haven't played since 2015. I decided to have a play with some of the new things recently. I've always wanted to fly round the sol system, land on pluto etc but never got the sol permit so I'm doing some Federation missions. I'm wanting to do the engineers for the boosted modules but it does seem a lot of faff, plus it doesn't seem to work like it does in all the youtube videos any more. Plus there are Guardian modules, do you just go straight for those and bypass engineers?

Soldato
Reminds me I must revisit this at some point. Left my Anaconda parked out on the western rim of the Galaxy a couple of months ago and haven’t been back to it. May dust it off this evening and get a few more KLY towards Beagle Point.

Is there a FAQ on what this Odyssey add on will bring?

Back
Top Bottom