first loop noob question - fittings

Associate
hello,

finally got round to buying a custom loop setup to go into a new compact build - can't use my AIO's in the new case. I will post a thread in the build section when I start.

As for my question, is there a specific fastening torque for the fittings/extender etc?
I have the EK plastic Allen key, which by itself would limit applied force as it would round im guessing.

if there was a specific torque, I will print a 9mm to 3/8 socket for a torque wrench. Or am I over thinking this?

Associate
Never had a plastic allen key with any EK bits. They must have gone cheap recently.
Blanking plugs with allen keys, just do as tight as you can using the short end of the allen key as a lever. Go too heavy handed with the long end as a lever youll just strip the thread of what the plug is going into. All you're trying to do is compress the little o-ring to seal. You're not trying to apply a torque to the thread like you would to a normal bolt. Your other compression fittings and what not will be the same, hand tighten until its closed. The o-rings will do the sealing, not how tight it is.

Soldato
Never had a plastic allen key with any EK bits. They must have gone cheap recently.
Blanking plugs with allen keys, just do as tight as you can using the short end of the allen key as a lever. Go too heavy handed with the long end as a lever youll just strip the thread of what the plug is going into. All you're trying to do is compress the little o-ring to seal. You're not trying to apply a torque to the thread like you would to a normal bolt. Your other compression fittings and what not will be the same, hand tighten until its closed. The o-rings will do the sealing, not how tight it is.
Yeah my latest ek gpu block came with
A double ended plastic Allen key type thing
Guess it's cheaper to make than a metal one. To be fair though it does the job
Just as well

Man of Honour
At the risk of being unhelpful, I'll quote an unrelated manual: fittings should be tight enough. In many cases you'll see that the thing you are fitting too probably can't take a huge degree of force: acetyl will split for example. So finger-tight, then about an eighth of a turn. Test out of the rig. Does it leak? If so, tighten anything that leaks just a little - just enough to stop the leak. If nothing leaks then you are good to go. But tool use should be minimal.

Soldato
Had a look at my ek plastic tool earlier
It actually looks more useful than the
Standard metal Allen key
As it also has a bit for plugs with slots
In them instead of needing a coin or screwdriver for those
The 2 Allen key ends also look designed
To do 2 different sizes each end
Ie total of 4 different sizes of Allen and 1
Slot key all on one tool
Though not yet had a product where that
Double sized Allen end could be used on
But pretty sure its been done on purpose
For a reason on the ek tool
As no reason to make the tool like that
Otherwise

Soldato
Just built my loop and finger tight is spot on as I had a few fittings I really tightened to much as I had to change then and had to fight to get them lose,as you leak test you can check them.

Back
Top Bottom