HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
WMR devices use visible light LEDs for tracking the controllers, so even if you could get the headset working in the dark, it might not be very dark due to the controllers emitting light.

Soldato
This guy is really making the most of being the only YouTuber with a G2 lol...

video livestream at 7pm of using G2 with Index controllers:

He does some good videos but the things he gets way too enthusiastic about usually turn out to be meh in the real world, 1 of the first versions of the pimax he went crazy for, When people got it in their hands it was pretty mediocre, It's great he's super enthusiastic but I'll wait for other reviews first :D

Soldato
I think that waiting for more than one review is no bad idea for anything!

For example I remember he mentioned some issues with his pre-production version that HP said would be sorted on production version (although exactly what they were I'd have to re-watch because I can't remember). He seems to be taking them at their word these things will be fixed when recommending to pre-order it. Even beyond that we all have different head shapes, eye positions, preferences etc and it's probably good to get as broad a perspective on a new headset as possible.

All that said, I decided to pre-order mostly because it lines up with my birthday at the end of September so would be nice to get one for then... If in the meantime some other reviewers get their hands on units and point out some problems that are a deal breaker, the pre-order can always be cancelled. Failing that, if it arrives and isn't up to snuff then it can always be returned! My suspicion is that HP should be able to apply the lessons from the G1 here and produce a better product as they aren't going for anything crazy and are really just iterating upon the base of the G1. My understanding is they fixed quite a few of the major problems in the first batch of the G1 with an updated v2 G1, so here's hoping they've been taking notes and can avoid that mess this time around.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was the brightness. It's about 25% too high. I agree with you in principle however apparently 525 for UK is an early bird price and on top of that I don't really want a 2 months wait like the index is.

Associate
I don't usually pre-order hardware - especially before reviews - but caved in this case. Only saw the UK price last night and was pleasantly surprised. Will be upgrading from a Vive Pro for use in DCS, AC (ACC if I can get it to run acceptably) and at some point FS2020. Oh, and definitely Star Wars Squadrons as well.

Might be a struggle for the 1080Ti, fingers crossed Ampere arrives around the same time.

Associate
I don't usually pre-order hardware - especially before reviews - but caved in this case. Only saw the UK price last night and was pleasantly surprised. Will be upgrading from a Vive Pro for use in DCS, AC (ACC if I can get it to run acceptably) and at some point FS2020. Oh, and definitely Star Wars Squadrons as well.

Might be a struggle for the 1080Ti, fingers crossed Ampere arrives around the same time.

Yep that`s what im doing Pre ordered. Sold my Vive Pro and origional rift CV1 So bought this with some channge left over. By the time we get them the 3080ti should be around the corner for some VR goodness, Until it does ill just make do with my Index or Rift S on my 1080ti.

Associate
I've also pre ordered now. Order #3053. Going to keep hold of my cv1 for now. Hoping it's ok for movies as well as games. Only running a RTX 2060 so will only be able to run it at half Res until the new cards come out.

Associate
There was a through the lens using PC2 the other day on the WMR TV guys youtube feed. He's taken it down now, I presume because it wasn't well focused and oddly view was pressed right up against the windscreen. Looked pretty good though. Maybe he will try again.

Soldato
Apparently so, there’s a post on the community tab of his page saying the focus was out and he intends to redo it...

It looked a bit odd to me in that one - stuff up close looked great but quickly looked blurry more than a few metres ahead of the car... odd because it didn’t look like a resolution problem but almost a depth of field problem, which shouldn’t be an issue on a fixed focus VR display so no idea what is going on there. Also seemed like maybe some reprojection artefacting, but could just be down to frame rates out of sync between camera and display. Either way I’ll look forward to seeing the re-done video as driving games are probably going to be the bread and butter for my G2.

The bit however where he showed how good the lenses are by moving the camera side to side I thought was impressive... the sweet spot seems huge. One problem I find with the quest is I do occasionally need to reposition it On my face to get a totally clear image so it would be nice to have a headset that is a little more forgiving of moving on your face a bit.

Soldato
There was a through the lens using PC2 the other day on the WMR TV guys youtube feed. He's taken it down now, I presume because it wasn't well focused and oddly view was pressed right up against the windscreen. Looked pretty good though. Maybe he will try again.

Re-do streams at 9pm if you're interested.

Wonder when HP will send out some more units for review/impressions.... would be good to get some other reviewers giving their thoughts.

Edit - well I moseyed on down to the HP VR headset subreddit and there is a post from an HP rep that answers this very question, posted yesterday - "more units have just gone out to other reviewers."

So hopefully we can get a wider spread of opinions soon to help tide us over!

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently the pre-order price is discounted from the retail price by quite a bit. Get your pre-orders in!

Offer ends end of July. Not much time to make a decision.

Damn its tough. I don't know if I can justify it. Its not £525 for me, its £525 plus a new series GPU and possibly CPU.

What's the chances of £525 price coming back during xmas sales etc at some point in the future?

Soldato
Through the lens comparison on the G2 vs RS vs Index with PC2. Looks great.

It does generally look pretty good when you consider all you are seeing is the relatively small part of the screen where the windshield is and indeed by comparison to the others. The part where you have the RiftS next to thge G2 really hammers that home. It's still not looking as sharp as I would expect given the other through the lens footage of eg Alyx and X-plane.

I wonder if there is something funky going on with the game like motion blur, poor aliasing settings, or maybe the fast moving scenes are exacerbating the fact that the camera is only recording a 90fps feed at 30fps.... In theory even if they are perfectly synced up that means a single frame of this video is capturing 3 frames in the headset which with something fast moving will no doubt give unrepresentative blur. Maybe a combination! The others like Alyx and X-plane were relatively static by comparison, so probably wouldn't show it up as a problem.

Either way, through the lens is of course only suggestive and not perfectly representative of the experience when actually wearing it, so time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the G1 and it looks much clearer and sharper than that video. To be fair, that video didn't do the Rift S justice either.

The Reverb looks considerably better than the S in person, but neither one of the headsets look as bad as that video makes them look. It's probably some technical issue with the way the camera is positioned vs the lenses.

Soldato
It'll all look better than it does in that video. I max out AMS2, and run very high in Pcars 2, the image in his Index shots are underwhelming, you could probably say the same with the G2.

Either way i'm fired up to see the G2 with my own eyes.

Associate
Glad it wasn't just me - I was a little underwhelmed by the PC2 footage also. Think it was just the way he filmed it, as he kept going on about how you could read the number plates so clearly and I could hardly make them out at all.

However after that it's clearer than ever that he's 100% on the HP payroll which I guess is to be expected. Common theme across all of his videos: Rift S = Bad. Index = Pretty damn good, but just not as good as the Reverb 2, which is unparalleled. Still looking forward to my pre-order anyway :)

Soldato
However after that it's clearer than ever that he's 100% on the HP payroll which I guess is to be expected. Common theme across all of his videos: Rift S = Bad. Index = Pretty damn good, but just not as good as the Reverb 2, which is unparalleled. Still looking forward to my pre-order anyway :)

Or you know, the common theme is there because that's actually how the visuals shake out and it isn't going to change from video to video :p

I have no idea about the guy personally, but from what I've seen from watching a lot of his older videos since he started the G2 coverage I don't think he's on anyone's payroll. Just gets very (over?)excited about new shiny things.

Twinz/Lokiss - good to hear thanks, I found that footage of PC2 the most underwhelming yet... unfortunately I don't have either a RiftS or an Index to calibrate how the video looks comparatively, I need a comparison to quest!

Back
Top Bottom