Garmin currently down - Rumours of Ransomware Attack

Associate
Been following this a bit, currently Garmin has been unavailable for running watches/other equipment for a few days now.

Apparently the ransom is $10 million.

Is this affecting anyone other than runners?

Couldn't see any threads on this..... Wonder if they will pay

Soldato
Yeh affecting me. I use a Garmin X40 watch to record my Golf rounds, it tracks my shots/score/distance etc. I can’t view any of the information :(

Soldato
Yep. I use a Fenix 6 as my tracker for all activities (swim, ride and running).
I can upload manually but it's still a pita.

Connect is down too so haven't had metrics for the past few days.

Hoping it won't be much longer. A big wake up call for them no doubt!

Associate
I've never actually used connect, it's normally just the middle man to upload to Strava but obviously that doesn't work so just manually uploading at the moment.

Bit of a pain, wish I could still sync locally and then just manually upload the file

Soldato
My Garmin 810 doesn't go into mass storage mode for over a year now so I am stuck having to use Garmin Connect as middle man for a BT sync. It then sends from Connect over to Training Peaks and Strava. I have no care in the world for Connect other than this but in this situation I am stuffed without it :p

It's affecting all cyclists with a Garmin head unit.

A lovely Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is on its way to me in the post right now. I've been de-Garmin'ing my life and this was the final kick up the backside. Once I get rid of my utterly hopeless Garmin power metre I will be free of their **** forever.

Soldato
I've ditched Garmin as my cycling computer, but no-one really matches Garmin when it comes to a watch based fitness tracker. So I'm tied to Garmin due to this.

Agreed, i spent ages looking when i wanted a more dedicated fitness watch after having an Apple Watch. I've been frustrated with Garmin in the past but the closest seemed to be the Suunto 9, which still lacked in a lot of areas.

Soldato
I've actually had some things starting to sync to connect. A ride I did yesterday has just uploaded (although I already did it manually too)

My steps, sleep etc have also sync'd to connect too.

I still have the 'down for maintenance' message at the top though.

Caporegime
Looks like some of their services are back online.
Wonder if they paid or not?

That a company as big as them can be exposed in such a way tells me they’ve skimped on IT and security. Every CEO should be figuratively pinning their CTO to the wall telling them in no uncertain terms that if this happens to their company the cost to resolve will be paid by the CTO personally. After they’ve been fired.

Soldato
In my experience (I'm a Security Analyst) companies are far less secure than people expect. Security is often an additional expense which doesn't get the investment it requires and is often seen as a blocker rather than a business enabler. If the CTO/CIO doesn't get the backing and investment from the board/owners then their hands are somewhat tied. All it takes is one lazy user to click on an email or one techie logging into an old server with domain credentials and it can cause major damage.

Soldato

That a company as big as them can be exposed in such a way tells me they’ve skimped on IT and security. Every CEO should be figuratively pinning their CTO to the wall telling them in no uncertain terms that if this happens to their company the cost to resolve will be paid by the CTO personally. After they’ve been fired.

They're a US company and the data hosted in US. So it violates US law to pay the ransom I believe!

Big heads will roll from this. They have to.

Soldato

At which point you couldn't find anyone to employ as CTO...

As @Beerbaron says, the board needs to buy into the shopping list from the CTO/CIO for whatever tools they are lacking like SIEM/UEBA/EDR/NDR. The cost of these will be in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds for a large enterprise or public sector deployment. Then you also need the SOC team to be using the tools.

Soldato
Some poor sod who's been saying for years that they are just one cyber attack away from a disaster like this, but never got the tools to improve things will probably be getting the sack for this.

Back
Top Bottom