• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
PSU efficiency is something to consider and often isn't but ultimately makes scanty difference.

What's funny is all this macho thinking people believing their rigs draw a kilowatt.

And yeh if you haven't actually measured it using 'equipment' that costs £10-12 then in every sense you are unqualified to provide information about your actual power draw. It's never what you think it to be on paper.

But heck we don't live in times where evidence means anything so everyone's opinions matter equally. And yes, your opinion can matter less depending on your experience.

Associate
Ultimately I sold the card for what it's worth NOW, not what it's potentially worth in a few months. Sold to a fully informed buyer who was aware of the new cards impending release.

Should I be annoyed that I essentially paid £400 to the person that bought my 2080 Ti for a 2070 Super that's value will also decline once the new cards come out?
Yes, be annoyed it's the way to be it seems;)!

Soldato
Sold my 2080 Ti for £599 plus a 2070S.

I get what you say about enjoying what you have, but if the performance figures for big navi and the 3 series are true, the second hand value of these cards is going to plummet.

Fair play for getting an amazing deal but I find it staggering that someone pays near £1k for a soon to be old news GPU.

Paying 600 notes for whatever extra frames the 80ti gives over the 70s is bonkers due to the reduced warranty anyway but factor in obsolescence then it makes no sense.

Why not just buy a 2080ti when you buy the 2070s?

I’m happily plodding on at 4K with my 1070 waiting for a decent upgrade...fingers crossed 3070/3080 or AmD equivalent depending on price to perf.

Caporegime
Personally, I will just wait until there are some deals on the new cards in the new year or some discount codes/promotions etc.

Unlikely to be any good deals on release and it will be a mad rush anyway to get one so I will pass.

Sure I will lose more on my current card selling later, but then i won't be paying top whack release prices for the new cards so it will be offset somewhat.

Soldato
Which 4K 60hz 40"+ QLED monitors would you guys recommend for gaming. Ideally below 10ms and 144Mhx options welcome!

Might as well go for a 55" 4k hdr TV. Like q8/q7q9.

You get much more for ya money, and can get big discounts in sale. My fald q8 was £2400 down to £1065. 2000 nits backlight. Freesyn etc.

Mine is like 7ms at 1440p and 14ms at 60fps.

I wouldn't get a Samsung tv smaller than 55 because they are not true 120hz like it's big brothers

Soldato
Devrij didnt agree with me Dan...
I was more pointing out the lack of confirmed information to get answers from. You can research all you like right now and infer some actions, but none of us have any idea what performance, price or release date are really going to be, especially price.

We might find that suddenly 2080ti is the sweet spot for bang for buck, if the new cards are ridiculously priced, or we might find that the new cards are the bees knees and priced aggressively. No amount of research is going to give you an informed decision right now because price is a crucial deciding factor and we have nothing on it, even if we can guess at performance and release date.

Soldato
Fair play for getting an amazing deal but I find it staggering that someone pays near £1k for a soon to be old news GPU.

Paying 600 notes for whatever extra frames the 80ti gives over the 70s is bonkers due to the reduced warranty anyway but factor in obsolescence then it makes no sense.

Why not just buy a 2080ti when you buy the 2070s?

I’m happily plodding on at 4K with my 1070 waiting for a decent upgrade...fingers crossed 3070/3080 or AmD equivalent depending on price to perf.

In all fairness I think it was a EVGA FTW3 he sold on, not a founders edition or clown card. Think they've mostly been between £1300-1500 throughout the lifetime of the turing generation, definitely released at £1500. Transferable warranty due to manufacturer too I think? Seems true market value to me. These cards usually the most expensive 2nd hand.

Soldato
In all fairness I think it was a EVGA FTW3 he sold on, not a founders edition or clown card. Think they've mostly been between £1300-1500 throughout the lifetime of the turing generation, definitely released at £1500. Transferable warranty due to manufacturer too I think? Seems true market value to me. These cards usually the most expensive 2nd hand.

Soon there’s a strong possibility that a card that matches the 2080ti in raster but destroys it at R.T. is available for not much more than £500.

Factor in having an existing 2070s that would have been perfectly fine in the meantime...

Will this buyer still be happy with what they did? No chance.

Soldato
Soon there’s a strong possibility that a card that matches the 2080ti in raster but destroys it at R.T. is available for not much more than £500.

Factor in having an existing 2070s that would have been perfectly fine in the meantime...

You seem to have switched from possibility to certainty over the course of a single post.

I *hope* Nvidia gets back on track with generational advancement, but we won't know until we see the prices and performance of the new stuff.

Soldato
You seem to have switched from possibility to certainty over the course of a single post.

I *hope* Nvidia gets back on track with generational advancement, but we won't know until we see the prices and performance of the new stuff.

No I haven’t.

The possibility is that the 3070 makes the 2080ti redundant.

the certainty is that this buyer will be remorseful if that were to happen.

Do you understand now?

Soldato
No I haven’t.

Do you understand now?

Now you use the word "if". -Better late than never, I guess. (Just double checked...no *if* in the post I quoted)

"Will this buyer still be happy with what they did [if that happens]? No chance"

There...all fixed.

Soldato
No I haven’t.

Do you understand now?

But the 3070 could also be 8gb, 3080 could be 10gb and then the Ti still holds at least some value having 11gb of vram.

One reason I haven’t sold mine, mainly because I’m just not sure I’ll even upgrade. They are likely to be a fair bit faster. However it’s nvidia so cost wise the new cards could easily be more expensive than the Turing lineup.

Soldato
But the 3070 could also be 8gb, 3080 could be 10gb and then the Ti still holds at least some value having 11gb of vram.

One reason I haven’t sold mine, mainly because I’m just not sure I’ll even upgrade. They are likely to be a fair bit faster. However it’s nvidia so cost wise the new cards could easily be more expensive than the Turing lineup.

Agreed but it's a gamble buying a 2080ti right now

Soldato

I mean anyone buying anything right now whether new or used right now are likely in the same boat as this buyer if ampere delivers on both performance and price. It's not a dead cert, they didn't last time.

Soldato
No amount of research is going to give you an informed decision right now because price is a crucial deciding factor and we have nothing on it, even if we can guess at performance and release date.

Research is probably the wrong word for it.

Perhaps the more relevant question is why used electronics, that will be replaced within a 2 to 3 year timeframe regardless of what it is, are worth 80-90% of new price?

Back
Top Bottom