Web Pages often load slowly or time out

Soldato
Clarify the context here just in case I am missing your point. See my answer to Hussman. Web traffic on 3 has timeouts and horrendous delay on some pages loading. If this happens I try it on my Samsung which is on the EE network and the pages load straight away. Same location, same timeframe.

You stated the OP had an issue with Three. However, the OP has said that he was able to use his phone to connect to the Internet using 4G on the Three network despite not being able to via his router which was also on Three. This indicates it’s a router related problem.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You stated the OP had an issue with Three. However, the OP has said that he was able to use his phone to connect to the Internet using 4G on the Three network despite not being able to via his router which was also on Three. This indicates it’s a router related problem.

Well also as the OP states, one day its bad the next its ok..? Again when you use the mobile your directly connected to the mast so some latency will disappear as the router is not in the chain - this would be a fair comparison from the same spot at the same time.

Like we have said in this thread, easy to confirm by either putting a different SIM in the router, or tether a few devices to the cellphone with different SIM and boom you get what we suggested. In the OP they mention nothing of this detail until halfway down the thread.

I dont know the topology or how many masts service this household but there is a chance the mobile phone is connecting differently than the router so something to check out as it might not be as black and white as 'its the router'.

Associate
OP
Ok, today's update.

Web page speeds seem better (so far) today. Using 1.1.1.1. (Of course it could be lack of contention as I suspect there are less users online before 8am)

I've had a look at the thread on the think broadband forum.

I see that using a VPN removes / reduces the problem. I will try to get a SIM for another network and see what happens. In the mean time would going down the VPN route resolve some/all the issues do you reckon?

Soldato
Today was much worse than yesterday. Oddly I have had people contacting me asking why their broadband is awful - and they are on the landline connections. At least where I am residing, it seems like the openreach AND 4G engineers are doing a bit too much 'maintenance' so the choke points are crippling the volume of users.

Soldato
What did they say?

The guy said the same as the postcode checker that there is maintence happening in my area, but they dont ever expand in what is going on and how long it will take. This is why its frustrating as I was on Smarty for weeks before and they offered no help but it has proven the masts with their equipment are the bottleneck. Really surprised somewhere geographically different like Kent is affected like me across the water. Perhaps thats it then, too many subscribers are being piped down the small wire - I thought it was the physical mast near to me being worked on that was the reason...

Soldato
From reading all these symptoms I can’t help but feel the service provider’s are doing something to de-prioritise the non-phone clients either through hop-counting or IMEI device identification.

The fact that the system works on a phone but not on a 4G router implies to me that the signal is there but the service provider is hobbling the router somehow.

Associate
OP
Better news, about tea-time last night I got 4G back and its been much better since. Something went on with the local mast I think, engineer done few hours then left. Most loading issues would be at the server end now and dealing with the volume of subscribers until other regional work gets completed.

That's good to hear.

I'm currently running on 3G and it is much faster.

From what you say I think, over the weekend, I'll revert back to 4G and see if I notice an improvement too.

Back
Top Bottom