Wharfdale 220 for desk?

Caporegime
Looking for a pair of desktop speakers.

Wondering if anyone has a view on these?

Others

Acoustic energy Ae100
Monitor audio bronze 50

Also happy to consider second hand
Like monitor audio bronze 1

These are a bit more expensive. But I love my MA RX living room setup!

Last edited:
Associate
I have a pair of 220's on my desk. Powered by a Yamaha RX-V373 and source via optical from the PC.

They are pretty good for the money. The bass is ported out of the bottom of the speaker cabinet all of the way around the bottom edge.

Soldato
If you are use to your Monitor Audio RX's sound signature, I would not recommend going for the 220.

Not saying the 220 are not great speakers, but coming from MA RX you are most likely going to get the feeling that some details and clarity will be missing due to the 220 being warmer sounding, whereas MA is more on the neutral and leaning sightly toward the brighter sounding side.

The Bronze 1 most likely suit you better. It is currently on sales over at Peter Tyson for just £126 (and an ex-display at just £99)! It's a frickin steal!

I am very tempted to get a set myself as well, but already got to many speakers lying around (including a set of Bronze BX2 and Wharfedale Diamond 155 lol)

Caporegime
OP
If you are use to your Monitor Audio RX's sound signature, I would not recommend going for the 220.

Not saying the 220 are not great speakers, but coming from MA RX you are most likely going to get the feeling that some details and clarity will be missing due to the 220 being warmer sounding, whereas MA is more on the neutral and leaning sightly toward the brighter sounding side.

The Bronze 1 most likely suit you better. It is currently on sales over at Peter Tyson for just £126 (and an ex-display at just £99)! It's a frickin steal!

I am very tempted to get a set myself as well, but already got to many speakers lying around (including a set of Bronze BX2 and Wharfedale Diamond 155 lol)

Thanks for this. I don't like warm sound. Maybe the bx would be better.

I like bright sound with a bit of bass (which I can cover with a powered sub)

Listen to this before you make your decision,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwmZHNRNVks&lc=Ugy2lKl-ZNXmyFeZUtt4AaABAg

Surprisingly the 220's have a lot more clarity than the MA Bronze 2's which sound muddy in the mid range in comparison, yes the 220's might be warmer than what you're probably used to but they do have detail, also the Wharfedales being down ported makes them less fussy for positioning, personally I'm not really a fan of the Bronze 1 or 2 but each to their own I guess.

There is a set of Kef q100's on eBay right now for £185 inc delv, they would blow the 220's and the Bronze speakers out of the water, and they are front ported so ideal for desktop use, check reviews online, very impressive speakers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Difficult.
On the last track I preferred the MA. On first the BW

I've decided I can go up a bit in budget if it's worth it.
I've seen MA silver for 200, and be 607 for 300 (which is a lot)

Happy to go used. Does it open up any more clear choices?

Soldato
Wharfedale speakers tend to have a warmer sound. MA speakers tend to bit brighter.

I wouldn't base a decision on a video. I can't see how comparing how different speakers sound using Youtube can ever be all that useful. What you are hearing is dependent on the microphone they are using to record with, and your own speakers sound signature.

Going to the Richer Sounds store to listening to the speakers they have is by far the best way. According to their site, the Cardiff store is open by appointment, so you should be able to arrange a demo.

Soldato
Difficult.
On the last track I preferred the MA. On first the BW

I've decided I can go up a bit in budget if it's worth it.
I've seen MA silver for 200, and be 607 for 300 (which is a lot)

Happy to go used. Does it open up any more clear choices?
Just to warn you about something before you get carried away...

From my own personal experience, for desktop speakers ideally you wouldn't want something too big, but something more compact would be more ideal. It can be placed at a further distance away from where you sit rather than having bigger speakers that would sit too close to you almost right in your face.

I have TRIED to use my MA BX2 as desktop speaker, but the problem is sitting at distance of about 1 metre or less away from the speakers, the speaker cannot get up to needed volume to shine (cause ideally should be about 2 metres+ away from speakers so it can be ran at higher volume level), and in the end gone back to use the Q Acoustics 3010 (I didn't get the Bronze 1 back then due to much higher in price). The one thing the MA Bronze 1 has going for it what it can deliver despite for it small size of (H x W x D) 260 x 165 x 180 mm. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 in comparison is larger with the size of (H x W x D) 315 x 174 x 255 mm. Also despite the smaller size, the Bronze 1 Frequency Response is 55 Hz - 30 kHz vs the 220 Frequency Response 56Hz - 20kHz.

You might wish to also check the physical dimensions as well when you look at the speakers and considering the placements on your desk.

Last edited:
Associate
id suggest looking at the presonus range, pick a size that suits you, obviously the larger speakers are going to need to be on a stand and desk away from a wall
the E5 were recommended to me and they sound great
if you do go for a bigger budget then id suggest jumping to the focal alpha 80, amazing speakers, no need for a sub, they go plenty low enough, if you want to add bass change the eq, i run flat for gaming and add bass for films

Caporegime
OP
Just to warn you about something before you get carried away...

From my own personal experience, for desktop speakers ideally you wouldn't want something too big, but something more compact would be more ideal. It can be placed at a further distance away from where you sit rather than having bigger speakers that would sit too close to you almost right in your face.

I have TRIED to use my MA BX2 as desktop speaker, but the problem is sitting at distance of about 1 metre or less away from the speakers, the speaker cannot get up to needed volume to shine (cause ideally should be about 2 metres+ away from speakers so it can be ran at higher volume level), and in the end gone back to use the Q Acoustics 3010 (I didn't get the Bronze 1 back then due to much higher in price). The one thing the MA Bronze 1 has going for it what it can deliver despite for it small size of (H x W x D) 260 x 165 x 180 mm. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 in comparison is larger with the size of (H x W x D) 315 x 174 x 255 mm. Also despite the smaller size, the Bronze 1 Frequency Response is 55 Hz - 30 kHz vs the 220 Frequency Response 56Hz - 20kHz.

You might wish to also check the physical dimensions as well when you look at the speakers and considering the placements on your desk.

Max distance is 60 cm is from cone to ear. I should probably get a small cabinet.

Maybe bx1 is a good idea.

The b&w 607 is quite small

Last edited:
Max distance is 60 cm is from cone to ear. I should probably get a small cabinet.

The b&w 607 is quite small

The 607's sensitivity only 84dB, that is very low, what amp are you using? Also I really wouldn't recommend using these as desktop speaker, how close to the wall will they be?

The monitor bx1 will probably work for you if you like your MA RX's, that is the 'safe' choice for you and is fairly sensitive, that said imo the 220 is much better speaker, especially through the mid-range and better ported for desktop use.

Also don't forget about the danish!, the Dali speakers are nice, something like the Dali Spektor 2, very nice little speakers and look gorgeous in white if you want that modern look.

https://exceptional-av.co.uk/dali-s...X5aATcG6j5nszqRPp_fEjRo0WUhY7DYRoCvgQQAvD_BwE

reviews

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/spektor-2/review

https://audiofi.net/2018/04/dali-spektor-2-speakers-small-boxes-big-stage/

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I didn't see this post before ordering a good deal on 607.

I can get them about 50cm from rear wall, and 30 from side.

Main compromise is they will only be 1m apart. As a compromise those distances don't seem too bad.

Unfortunately I couldn't get to try before I bought

Back
Top Bottom