• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's got the oldest CPU in main pc, how does it cope?

Associate
i run with a 1st gen I7-920 and 6GB system RAM.

Im on my 3rd graphics card, 2nd power supply and 2nd boot SSD.
(5870->7850OC->r7-300)

I relented and put win10 just before Christmas when the first SSD and power supply died.

Runs like a champ.
I use it every day for the standard tasks, I game on it a lot and also use it for software/game development.
Runs DAI, witcher 3, , planetside 2, Fallout 4 fine.
i play xcom2 and phoenix point a lot.
Recently breezed though GOW-tactics.

I often look at upgrading the memory but it always seems like a waste of cash that would be better in the new PC pot.

Associate
i run with a 1st gen I7-920 and 6GB system RAM.

Im on my 3rd graphics card, 2nd power supply and 2nd boot SSD.
(5870->7850OC->r7-300)

I relented and put win10 just before Christmas when the first SSD and power supply died.

Runs like a champ.
I use it every day for the standard tasks, I game on it a lot and also use it for software/game development.
Runs DAI, witcher 3, , planetside 2, Fallout 4 fine.
i play xcom2 and phoenix point a lot.
Recently breezed though GOW-tactics.

I often look at upgrading the memory but it always seems like a waste of cash that would be better in the new PC pot.

Ditto - I'm also running a i7-920 from 2009(??). Still same PSU. Replaced the HDD with a SSD. Upgraded the GFX 3 times.

Soldato
Am still rocking a 2500k @ 4.0 ghz used to do 4.5 but I down clocked it due to age, GPU is 780ti. Looking to upgrade this year but the choice is killing me looking at AMD 3600 as for graphics cards don't have a clue yet.

Soldato
Currently using an E5-1650 v2, which is an Ivy Bridge chip from 2013. Overclocked to 4.2GHz (best I can do on a cheap Chinese motherboard with no voltage control) it's around the same level of performance as the hexa-cores from the first two generations of Ryzen. I keep considering buying a new setup, but it's hundreds of pounds for what will be a minimal/zero performance increase for the things I use outside of a couple of programs (Yuzu and RPCS3 mainly).

Soldato
Someone actually got one of those :eek:
Yeah, it's fine really apart from the voltage limitation. Everything works okay, including quad-channel memory (some of the really cheap ones only support dual-channel). One thing that amused/annoyed me when considering B550 recently was that I'd actually be worse off in terms of my NVMe SSDs, since this chip and board have enough PCIe lanes for all of them and B550 doesn't (without stealing lanes from the GPU anyway, as the Gigabyte B550 Master does). Guess I'll wait and see how X670 looks.

Associate
I5 3570k with 16gig ram and a rx580 on a new LG850 144hz 2k monitor and it's running pretty good actually. Was fearing the worst upgrading the monitor to a 2k one with 144hz but it has gone way past my expectations.

Building a new rig soon though but still no hurry as this one is still doing whats needed for now.

Associate
Second PC is still giving great service including 1080P gaming. Uses an eight year old Intel 3770k with a mild overclock to 4.2GHz (after-market cooler was only £20, so you can't expect miracles. ;))

Soldato
I think the q6600 is gonna take the cake here, but for what it's worth my older brother is still running my old e8400 and 5850 combo (with a whopping 1GB VRAM). It was great in its day; I got it over 4ghz, which was a big deal back then, although it started to degrade after running it at 4.2ghz for ages. Now I'm like "dude, please spend some money". I'm seeing 4770k/mobo/16GB bundles in MM going for 150 quid, so I think running an ancient cpu is really unnecessary these days.

Soldato
Primary primary computer is 6700K on the Maximus VIII Impact, 16GB 3000MHz RAM, but because it's in and out of cases and benches, up until about a month ago I was still using my 2500 non-K. My Macbook Air is a 2011 model so it's only a dual-core Sandy Bridge with 4GB RAM, and it's really starting to chug now if I try to do actual work on it. My web dev server is also a Sandy Bridge Pentium, but as part of a few mod projects, it's getting the 2500 non-K dropped in as I scored a cheap i5 3570 for the backup machine.

The other half was rocking a Phenom II X6 1100T until about February of this year.

Associate
I'm still running a I7 920 D0 with 12Gb RAM - my mate is running my old q6600 - I've updated the GPU in both as I've gone along - mines running a 1080GTX , his a 980GTX

Storage capacity though I've slightly updated mine from the original 480GB HDD drive I had - I now have 2 480gb SSDs (system and fast access games) 2x2 1TB HDDs , 2 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo opticals plus 2 bluray / DVD burners and a 24TB Raid array NAS attached (the PC is mainly used now as a media server and format transcription

Soldato
I’ve still got a q6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz with 6gb ram and a 570 graphics card still does general web browsing fine, graphics card takes the load for video acceleration and until last year was running Zwift for my bike turbo trainer the main slow down was the loading despite running an SSD. I think the low amount of ram will be the end of it.

I retired a old HTPC running a e6600 at the start of the year, general windows use was very slow to the point of being unusable think it only had 4gig ram which didn’t help but was running an ssd swapped it for a Nvidia Sheild TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Q9450 here (very similar to q6600) overclocked to 3ghz! I have a system sat waiting for me to build that I bought pre COVID! :( Cheap Ryzen one.

Soldato
Great to see the old 2500ks and Q6600s still going. Without a doubt my best (see longest serving) component purchases.

My 2500k ran @5ghz from new (2011) and only recently was wound down to 4.5ghz. I've given it to my mum as it will keep her going for some time. My replacement 7900X @4.7ghz wasn't quite the night and day difference I was expecting, but I put that down to the type of games I play and the fact the 2500k did so well.

I still have a Q6700 running @stock in a shuttle. Again a great little cpu that did me for years. Gets little use now.

I also have two athlons (XP3200+ Barton and a XP1800+) neither honestly get switched on much, but still work. Albeit very slowly.

I won't include my 386 DX 25mhz (my first pc) which I keep and use purely for nostalgia purposes only :D

I'm going to be forced to reduce my collection eventually.

Soldato
Just replaced my i5 2500k a few months back with a 2600, tbh it was fine - but I do a lot heavier work with kubernetes and docker these days, so extra threads needed. Had a i7 920 which probably would still be running like a champ - but it was pretty power hungry. 2600 is just a temporary chip tbh, waiting for 4xxx series so I can pick up a cheap 3700/3900

Back
Top Bottom