The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
Soldato
This is probably the cheapest A7R4 available right now i think? Mad to think that Jessops are charging £3500 for the body only.(currently £3200 with the Sony cashback but that offer won't be around much longer)

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3999/sony_alpha_a7r_iv_mirrorless_digital_camera_body_only

You said in the other thread,that you upgraded from a Canon 1300D to an A7III - why don't you try and maximise what you get out of a very capable camera first?? You yourself said you don't have much experience - and a slightly better camera(when you already have a decent one) won't make a crap photo suddenly better. Investing in better lenses makes far more sense,if the ones you have currently have physical or technical limitations which actually get in the way of taking a picture.

Caporegime
The only way A7R4 is better is if you need more resolution, which can translate into sharpness. That is irrelevant if the photo isn’t good. You will know when you need more pixels. A7R4 has so much pixels that it really cause problem in work flow, your computer will hate you, you will need 3 times as much storage all of the sudden, the battery don’t last as long.

Put money into lenses if you have to spend.

Soldato
You said in the other thread,that you upgraded from a Canon 1300D to an A7III - why don't you try and maximise what you get out of a very capable camera first?? You yourself said you don't have much experience - and a slightly better camera(when you already have a decent one) won't make a crap photo suddenly better. Investing in better lenses makes far more sense,if the ones you have currently have physical or technical limitations which actually get in the way of taking a picture.
I don’t have the A7iii anymore :( I definitely want a Fullframe camera and my preference is Sony, could pick up another A7iii I suppose.

Soldato
I don’t have the A7iii anymore :( I definitely want a Fullframe camera and my preference is Sony, could pick up another A7iii I suppose.

Why did you do that?? Buying and selling cameras like this,will cost you more money! TBF,do you really need a 35mm frame mirrorless camera?? Maybe one of the APS-C Sony or Fuji cameras would be a cheaper alternative?

Soldato
Why did you do that?? Buying and selling cameras like this,will cost you more money! TBF,do you really need a 35mm frame mirrorless camera?? Maybe one of the APS-C Sony or Fuji cameras would be a cheaper alternative?
I went from working 4 days a week to working 7, not having any time to get out and take pictures.

Money isn’t an issue but I want that high mp for landscape and astro photography.

Soldato
I went from working 4 days a week to working 7, not having any time to get out and take pictures.

Money isn’t an issue but I want that high mp for landscape and astro photography.

My mate does astro photography and they started off with dSLRs. They then invested in a proper telescope(s),tracking mount and cooled camera(attached to a laptop) with an external power pack,and also have a dedicated IR converted Canon dSLR for some other stuff(the sensors on cameras block out certain parts of the spectrum,so the modification removes some of the filters). So MP is not as important as people think for astro stuff,especially as you will be stacking a ton of images anyway,and sensitivity is far more important. Also cameras which don't do processing which causes "star eater" errors.

Regarding nature photography,it really depends how big you print. 24~30MP is probably still good enough in many cases,and again just because you have 50~60MP,does not mean the lenses will be good enough to resolve so much detail. So you need to choose the lenses properly and actually shoot at apertures which have optimal resolution and DoF.Plus you have other companies such as Fuji with their entry level medium format gear,if you truly need that high MP count and can utilise it. So if there is a big enough budget,then they are worth considering too.

Last edited:
Associate
Been eyeing that up with the 24mm 1.4, what you using now then? A73/R3 or A9?
The R4 I had was very poor, the focus felt snappier than the R3 but it missed a lot of shots (literally anything that moves). It's fine for landscape or product photography if you have the storage and pc power. Sony are convinced there are no issues with it hence I sold mine. my main lens is the 200-600 so pointless keeping it, the A9 has been a massive upgrade imo though.

Caporegime
Assume the A7IV has been put on the back burner as it's all gone quiet, with the A7Siii taking over on rumour/announcement duties.

That space has got a lot more interesting with the R5 and Z5.

Soldato
Go for it, the A7RIV is the best of Sony bunch imo especially for landscape :)
I’ll start looking when I’m back from my holiday, would have been nice to get one before I go away as there’s a few nice places to photograph in Tenerife but it’s too late now.

Associate
Ok, i've got a 24-105mm lens, but i'm needing more reach. I don't think the 70-200 is enough, so i've been eyeing up the 100-400 sigma. Anyone played about with this yet?

Caporegime
Ooooff A7Siii just announced, specs sound great!

Articulating screen, full sized HDMI, dual CF Express/UHSII slots, 9m dot EVF, 16 bit RAW external, 4K60/1080P240 full read out with AF options, touch screen, much higher bit rate, 10 FPS, new sensor with higher low light performance :D.
Who is this camera aimed at with a 12mp sensor?
Assume videographers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ooooff A7Siii just announced, specs sound great!

Articulating screen, ful sized HDMI, dual CF Express/UHSII slots, 9m dot EVF, 16 bit RAW external, 4K60/1080P240 full read out with AF options, touch screen, much higher but rate, 10 FPS, new sensor with higher low light performance :D.
Who is this camera aimed at with a 12mp sensor?

Soldato
Was watching a webinar hosted by Terry Donnelly. If anyone is planning to buy Sony equipment code "TERRY10" for extra 10% at wilkinson cameras on selected Sony gear. This is on top of any cashback offers Sony have.

Hope it helps. Expires 31st July.

Soldato
Been walking around camera shops in Tenerife looking for an A7R4 but nowhere in stock.

Was hoping to take advantage of the VAT free prices on the island but no such luck.

Back
Top Bottom