Any Chord Mojo Owners?

Soldato
What you primarily buying it for, the DAC alone or to drive headphones?

I had one when they came out. I sent it back as I couldnt notice a difference over my cuurent DAC at the time (SMSL Sanskrit 6) and it was 6 times the price.

It was pretty good as a mobile headphone dac/amp when I tried it with some wired cans. I dont use my phone for anything other than the casual bit of listening when traveling, and then I use my wireless noise cancelling headphones so no point for me.

Caporegime
OP
What you primarily buying it for, the DAC alone or to drive headphones?

I had one when they came out. I sent it back as I couldnt notice a difference over my cuurent DAC at the time (SMSL Sanskrit 6) and it was 6 times the price.

It was pretty good as a mobile headphone dac/amp when I tried it with some wired cans. I dont use my phone for anything other than the casual bit of listening when traveling, and then I use my wireless noise cancelling headphones so no point for me.

Both to drive HD 650 and use with my iPhone :)

I’ve bought an NX4 DSD and it sounds good but not as good as my sold Oppo HA2...on high gain setting ...wish I’d not sold the HA2 :(

So I’m contemplating sending it back...

Associate
That's exactly the combination I have. It sounds incredible - really brings out the best of them. I came from an m-dac mini and the difference was pretty significant. Night and day from the Creative G6 I use with my Switch.

Soldato
Both to drive HD 650 and use with my iPhone :)

I’ve bought an NX4 DSD and it sounds good but not as good as my sold Oppo HA2...on high gain setting ...wish I’d not sold the HA2 :(

So I’m contemplating sending it back...

sounds like it might be worth a punt as you have decent headphones. Far better then what I tried it with.

As a stand-alone dac it’s nothing special. But to be fair I’ve tried lots of DACs in the £60-500 range and to my ears they all sound the same all be it some sounded like they had a slight EQ applied. There was no massive jump in detail resolution when I A/B tested the SMSL S6 and the mojo. I didn’t start hearing things I’d never picked out in tracks before. Maybe my gear wasn’t good enough (Naim nait 5i and Rega speakers) or my ears aren’t up to snuff.

Why not just order off the rainforest and return if you don’t think it’s worth it.

doc

doc

Associate
The Mojo is an awesome product if you have the money to spend.

The way I look at it is that if you spend £200+ on a DAC, you'll get a 90% sound quality improvement over a regular setup. Every £100 you spend after that will get you an additional 1% improvement. The real benefits after the first £200 is if the DAC has more features you need/want.

Soldato
I’m assuming you want the chord as it’s mobile as well for use with the phone ? I’ve been eyeing it up for about 3 years... just didn’t fancy it for casual phone use as I’m not carrying a bag just for it. Way to bulky to fit in Jeans.

ive got some hd650 as spares. Have you got a dac/ amp for home use ?

Associate
Despite Chord products like the Hugo line, Dave etc being super over priced the Mojo is actually good. Slightly warm, well extended at both ends, doesn't affect resolving capabilities etc, it's pleasant. The downside is I found it wasn't the most dynamic unit, had a bit of compression to it.

Being honest it doesn't sound as capable as say a Vali 2, Asgard 2 or 3, Magni heresay stack, for desktop use I'd slightly lean towards one of them for less money. Don't get me wrong the Mojo is equally as resolving with a pleasant sound but I found those amps, combo's better for say resolving headphones like the HD600/650/800 higher end Hifimans and Focal Clears as they're more capable in dynamics and versatility for desktop use.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I’m assuming you want the chord as it’s mobile as well for use with the phone ? I’ve been eyeing it up for about 3 years... just didn’t fancy it for casual phone use as I’m not carrying a bag just for it. Way to bulky to fit in Jeans.

ive got some hd650 as spares. Have you got a dac/ amp for home use ?

Thanks for the input guys and gals....yeah I want something mobile...tbh it’s a bit of a hybrid setup..I’m using my HD 650 to walk 5 miles a day around my garden.I’ve been doing this for the past 8 weeks...:)

The Denons are too heavy...I have an Audient ID 22 I use for home use mixing and recording music and I use my HD 650 as a reference and comparison with my Adam Monitors...

The HA2 was perfect but I sold it as I was going to get get a mobile USB audio interface for my laptop then lock down happened....

Don’t get me wrong the Topping NX4 DSD is good but it’s lacking the polish of the HA2 probably not in the conversion but the amp stage...

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the input guys and gals....yeah I want something mobile...tbh it’s a bit of a hybrid setup..I’m using my HD 650 to walk 5 miles a day around my garden.I’ve been doing this for the past 8 weeks...:)

The Denons are too heavy...I have an Audient ID 22 I use for home use mixing and recording music and I use my HD 650 as a reference and comparison with my Adam Monitors...

The HA2 was perfect but I sold it as I was going to get get a mobile USB audio interface for my laptop then lock down happened....

Don’t get me wrong the Topping NX4 DSD is good but it’s lacking the polish of the HA2 probably not in the conversion but the amp stage...

The only thing to watch out for is it gets a bit warm. I think you'll struggle to find anything smaller that fits the bill.

Back
Top Bottom