Can kill and inhibit cancer cells without impacting normal cells

Associate
Soldato
I’d like to read the published paper. considering the press tend to chew up the reality of the research in favour of dramatic embellishment.

Soldato
I’d like to read the published paper. considering the press tend to chew up the reality of the research in favour of dramatic embellishment.

It didn't take long to find the published paper that the doctor in the article worked on and is building this current work off it.

Can Hemp Help? Low-THC Cannabis and Non-THC Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Cancer
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32340151/

Tests show potential for medicinal cannabis to kill cancer cells
https://www.newcastle.edu.au/newsro...l-for-medicinal-cannabis-to-kill-cancer-cells

Laboratory tests conducted at the University of Newcastle and Hunter Medical Research Institute have shown that a modified form of medicinal cannabis can kill or inhibit cancer cells without impacting normal cells, revealing its potential as a treatment rather than simply a relief medication.

As always any potential Cancer treatment is always welcome news though I am starting to feel a little sceptical about the amount of ailments Cannabis can allegedly cure. I am sure it has its benefits but it seems like it's almost going down the route of all these bogus homeopathic treatments.

Man of Honour
It’s all very thoeoretical looking at those studies - ‘may’, ‘possibility of’, ‘some evidence’. They are also vague about the type of cancer targeted. There are many treatments that have much more promise and are much further ahead than this. I wouldn’t hold my breath on cannabis as a cancer treatment. I wish it were that easy.

Soldato
Yeh it's pretty vague but could be a glimpse of hope.

I sometimes wonder where all the money goes that's donated to cancer research, what would a cancer researcher do all day, do they sit in a room and theorise about potential cure or how does it work, there's only so much experiments and trials you can do right?

Soldato
The article is trash the way it's worded they have found that weed with less of the stuff that makes you high kills more cancer cells but it doesn't say that's even an effective why to treat it in the first place.
I'm sure people who actually know what they are doing will peer revenue the studies and hopefully make progress. But it's probably going to going back onto the massive pile of things that kill cancer cells 'in theory' but aren't suitable for treatment.

Soldato
Yeh it's pretty vague but could be a glimpse of hope.

I sometimes wonder where all the money goes that's donated to cancer research, what would a cancer researcher do all day, do they sit in a room and theorise about potential cure or how does it work, there's it so much experiments and trials you can do right?
One of the problems is that the catch all word of cancer. There's many, many different diseases that each need separate research/cure.

Caporegime
Talking of Trump he just shafted big pharma by lowering US drug prices (no more having to go over the border to buy them for a fraction) so the last thing they'll want now is a cancer cure.

Soldato
Talking of Trump he just shafted big pharma by lowering US drug prices (no more having to go over the border to buy them for a fraction) so the last thing they'll want now is a cancer cure.

I'm sure the anti-trumpers will conveniently forget this.

Soldato
Oh look, another Old Man thread about the wonders of cannabis with no proper research to back it up.

There's plenty of research to back it up. Unfortunately for the proponents of it, it's pretty much all in the extremely early stages, with little idea on which of the many different cannabinoids is actually having the effect, on top of that, there's often interactions between them, and so it may not be one, but several. Identifying this, and clearing out the noise, is a long long way from coming to fruition (at least it was last time I actually went through the literature to any degree).

Soldato
I think the best bet for curing cancer is a virus like organism that's tailored to bind to the cancer cells and kill them. A better understanding of receptors will be needed. Then attach a payload to that receptor and destroy the cell.

Soldato
I read some study done years ago in the Netherlands I think?? where they found canabis smokers were less likely to get lung cancer than regular smokers. The reason they came up with for the difference was that smoking joints did significantly more damage to certain types of cell (kinda makes sense as they aren't filtered) - this meant the cells were more likely to die before becoming cancerous - so still not a good outcome by any stretch.

Man of Honour
I think the best bet for curing cancer is a virus like organism that's tailored to bind to the cancer cells and kill them. A better understanding of receptors will be needed. Then attach a payload to that receptor and destroy the cell.

This and training people’s immune system to destroy the cells.

Back
Top Bottom