USBC dock / HDMI / USBA / Power delivery

Man of Honour
I am buying my daughter an MBP13 and need to get an adapter for USBA and HDMI out. I may as well also get one which includes power delivery for charging. Does anyone have any recommendations for non-Apple adapters? Thanks.

Soldato
I was just about to askt he same on here. Need one with HDMI out and power pass through in addition to ethernet. Was looking at the Twelve South one but there appears to be a load half that price but dont want to fry my new shiney.

Want something I ca tuck under the desk with a single USB c lead up to my macbook. Tempted with the 'uni' one

Soldato
I've got a Plugable USB-C dock from Amazon. 85W charging, HDMI out, four regular USB ports and ethernet - £135. I've got two (one for office and one for home) and they've worked pretty much flawlessly for the six months I've had them with a MBP 13 (well only three months for the office one :D ) I run a Jabra Engage headset, logitech webcam, 4K monitor and USB mic off it with no issues. It's only about 10cm square so easy to tuck away with just the one lead going to the laptop, although does come with a power brick to hide as well. The only 'issue' per se is I only seem to get about 400Mbps out of the ethernet socket despite it purporting to be gigabit, but since I don't throw large files around to/from it and latency to the local fileserver is <1ms I haven't investigated further.

Associate
Looking for something like this myself. Personal laptop and incoming work machine are both USB-C (Well, my laptop is TB3 but close enough) and I'm looking to get something to connect at both home and work.

Will be on Wifi at both locations and my monitor includes a built-in USB 3.0 hub for KB/Mouse and any thumb drives etc, so only real requirements are HDMI, 1 USB-A and PD. Those uni ones seem a decent design and price.

Soldato
Just ordered the uni one. 15% voucher on it at the rainforest so was £39. I like that some thought has gone into where the ports are and the cable that connects your MacBook is detacheable so I’m going to use a longer one and tuck the dock out of sight

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks all. I ordered a "UGREEN 6-In-1 USB C Hub, Type C to 4K HDMI Adapter with 2 USB 3.0 Ports, SD/TF Card Reader, 100W USB-C Power Delivery Charging Compatible with MacBook". Although I can't test the HDMI output yet (no external screen - need to order new one) the USBA and power delivery seem to work fine. It's also quite small so portable if needed.

Associate
Took delivery of this today and must say its a lovely bit of kit for the money. Got everything plugged in charging at the same time. Only thing I would say is it does get pretty hot, well worth it though!

hub.jpg

Soldato
@DezUk would you mind sharing what make and model that is please?

Just got my 15" mbp yesterday and I got one of the usb hubs that connect directly into both usb c ports in the mbp but I'm finding if I move my laptop even slightly that it loses connection. I figure I'll have better luck with a cable actually coming out of the hub itself like the one you have!

Thanks in advance

Soldato
@KoN1ch1wA sent you a trust. The brand is Uni. I bought the same one and its superb. If you replace the cable that connects to the macbook be sure to get a USBC 3.1 Gen 2 which supports all the pass through. That way you can tuck the dock away uner a desk and just have the one cable lurking about

Back
Top Bottom