BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
The face-lifted interior for the C-Class is lovely and the infotainment upgrades have removed all the annoyances I had with the pre-facelift. My C43 was pre-facelift but my C63 is facelift, and while the two are similar enough with the car off, when everything is on, the differences make a big difference to the look and feel of the cabin. The all-digital dash is lovely, the bigger/higher res screen makes a bigger difference than you'd expect. One thing I missed with my old F10 was being able to have two things on screen, such as nav and media, well you can in the facelift. The UI in general feels a lot more modern and responsive. Apple Car Play is nice but I barely use it unless I want to use Waze.

The ambient lighting improvements compared to the pre-facelift were very much needed, really adds some atmosphere to the cabin when it gets dark

Associate
Perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask in given it's obviously biased nature, but I'm struggling to think of a better practical car for ~£50k than the M340i Touring. I'm not keen on SUVs although I can absolutely understand why they're popular, and I don't want a ~5m long car like a 5 series.

I see you can get 69 plate M340i Tourings with all of the packages for £42k which seems pretty astounding value for money, and it's been said that it has the best interior in its class.

Have I missed any other obvious contenders (estates only)? I'm not keen on the C43 because the interior isn't nice at all, and it's a pretty old platform now. I've also had a current generation A4 Avant and I don't really want the same car again even though I thought it was very good.

Anecdotally, I recently purchased a 2018 F Series 330d Touring. Lovely car and fits all my purposes - an enjoyable drive with added family/golf clubs/dog practicality etc. The new m340i looks leaps and bounds ahead - so were I to upgrade in few years (or had more money now) I would absolutely grab one.

Almost got an F Series 340i touring, but I was going to end up spendzing the same money (or more) for an older, higher mileage and lower spec car - only difference being the engine.

Not sure any of this helps you, but based on my limited experience I think it would absolutely tick your box for an all around car.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Noticing the passenger front disc rubbing against the pads during a rotation of the wheel in one spot. I had my indy look when it was last in and they suggested lower control arms. Booked it in for a few weeks time.

When swapping to my summer wheels I checked for play at the wheel and couldn't feel any. Car did have a chunky knock at the start of the year which split the tyre sidewall (ratchet strap on motorway). Less likely to be a wheel bearing but not impossible?

Handling is generally fine though do occasionally notice a little pulling depending on the severity braking but not necessarily to the left and there has been a faster wear rate on that disc.

E92, 98k.

It cannot possibly be the lower control arms if you are visibly seeing the disc touch the pad when slowly rotating the wheel - they are connected to the knuckle and are not "between" the caliper and the disc in any way. The only thing there is the wheel bearing as you suggest but it could also be pad deposits/warped discs or that your wheel is loose. A sticking caliper could be to blame for both the extra pad deposits/warping and the increased brake wear.

If you are feeling a vibration through the wheel then that could well be the control arm bushes but from what you've said that seems less likely.

Soldato
The face-lifted interior for the C-Class is lovely and the infotainment upgrades have removed all the annoyances I had with the pre-facelift. My C43 was pre-facelift but my C63 is facelift, and while the two are similar enough with the car off, when everything is on, the differences make a big difference to the look and feel of the cabin. The all-digital dash is lovely, the bigger/higher res screen makes a bigger difference than you'd expect. One thing I missed with my old F10 was being able to have two things on screen, such as nav and media, well you can in the facelift. The UI in general feels a lot more modern and responsive. Apple Car Play is nice but I barely use it unless I want to use Waze.

The ambient lighting improvements compared to the pre-facelift were very much needed, really adds some atmosphere to the cabin when it gets dark

Thats what my experience has been with all the C that are in the car park at work. The facelfit is a pretty hefty update across the interior hence it still being on the list.

Last edited:
Soldato
It cannot possibly be the lower control arms if you are visibly seeing the disc touch the pad when slowly rotating the wheel - they are connected to the knuckle and are not "between" the caliper and the disc in any way. The only thing there is the wheel bearing as you suggest but it could also be pad deposits/warped discs or that your wheel is loose. A sticking caliper could be to blame for both the extra pad deposits/warping and the increased brake wear.

If you are feeling a vibration through the wheel then that could well be the control arm bushes but from what you've said that seems less likely.

Thank you :cool:

Man of Honour

I've had experience of 3 C Class - my Sister had a 2017 pre facelift C220 and I've previously put about 1500ish miles a peice on a 2018 C300 pre facelift and most recently a late 2019 C220 AMG Line - so a facelift.

The exterior styling is wonderful. I do not think there is a better looking car in this class - infact I don't think there has ever been a better looking car in this class. It looks sophisticated and prestigious in a way that no 3 Series or A4 ever has. Especially the AMG Line (and thus, definitely, the C43). Interior wise it's also pretty good - yes there are cheap plastics but it feels like somebody has tried to make a mini E Class out of it and they've pretty much succeeded. It's night and day better than the F30 3 Series, the car it was designed to compete with.

Where it fell down for me was the infotainment system - which as you'll know is something I place a disproportionate weight on in a car. The pre facelift with the Garmin map-pilot is just so shocking its unbelievable but we're not talking about those so we'll focus on the facelift with the better screen and the fully digital dash. So, yes, it has a fully digital dash. But it doesn't really do anything useful that the analog dash does. So other than looking nice it isn't much of an improvement over the facelift. Onto the nav - one of the worst I've used. Both in terms of usability and routing algorithm. And the additional functionality just felt like a disjointed mess. Speed limit display for example - sometimes randomly displayed in the centre of the screen way out of my field of view. Sometimes never displayed at all. Great.

Even little things - it has bluetooth audio through which I used Spotify. Great! But every time I got out of the car and back in again it wouldn't resume. We were on a trip with lots of stop/start/getting out/scenery to look at so eventually just gave up using it because it was a nuisance to have to remember to do. It's this sort of lack of attention to detail that eventually wore me down. I'd say its hands down the worst system out of any of the competition - the Audi system isn't bad, BMW iDrive is (or was, stay tuned) the best in the business.

So after a week with my C220 AMG Line and lots of lovely pictures I handed it back with mixed feelings - in some ways the best car of its type i've ever driven. In other ways, the worst. Then my flight got cancelled and I had to rent whatever class was around and ended up going smaller than usual...

... an A200 AMG Line. Now this was bound to start badly - I'm not famed for my love of small hatchbacks. Nor black wheels. Or white paint. And here was a small hatchback with all of those things. No thanks.

Just.. wow. Any idea that my hatred of the C Class system was me being a BMW fanboy was absolutely blown out of the water. Incredible - this car has the new MBUX system and its straight to the top of the class. A glorious digital dash thats fully customisable and displays virtually anything you could ask for right up to full colour navigation map. A nice centre screen. Perfectly displayed speed limit info and loads of extra features like Augmented Reality Satnav. Routing algorithm was night and day different and Spotify even resumes when you get back in the car. So, it's not my BMW bias, the C Class system really is, unfortunately, quite poor. But the happy news is that every new Mercedes from now on will have MBUX and it is absolutely brilliant.

It's the best out of BMW, Audi and Mercedes at the moment - BMW Live Cockpit Professional isn't bad but the screen STILL isn't as configurable as Mercedes MBUX (or Audi Virtual Cockpit from 5 years ago) and the weird shape dials are just unnecessarily annoying. iDrive itself is absolutely excellent as ever - perhaps better to use than MBUX - but the pairing of the digital cluster and MBUX main screen means IMHO it pips idrive to the post.

The bottom line is that for me if I'm going to buy a virtually new car, I want the latest position on things like infotainment. And you won't get that in the C43 unfortunately. If I was buying something 4-5 years old then it would be far more acceptable - my F10 for example doesn't have a fully digital cluster at all let alone one that I can display a nav map on - but once you're looking at 12 months or even new cars unless you don't want everything to be up to date you'd not be going new?

Soldato
^ I love this forum for these types of responses. Genuine feedback based on user experience cannot be beaten.

I know it sounds ridiculous, and I don't mean to offend since I currently own a Model 3 which has woeful build quality, but just before I bought my B9 A4 Avant I went to have a look at the C Class, and the second I pulled the door handle to get out I thought "WTF, this feels so cheap". It's that and the infotainment system that keeps me away from the current C Class.

I have only sat in an A35 in the showroom so I didn't get to experience the MBUX system, but it does look good in all of the YouTube videos I've seen. Ultimately though I only really care if it supports Android Auto or CarPlay since they are just so much better overall (based on my experience of Audi's infotainment system).

Man of Honour
The problem with that though is that most cars don't integrate Carplay properly. They just change the main screen to Carplay. But I want seamless integration with the instrument cluster and head up display - I rarely look at the central display on the move, I want everything I need in line of sight.

I've noticed some manufacturers are just starting to fix this element of Carplay integration which is very encouraging.

Soldato
The problem with that though is that most cars don't integrate Carplay properly. They just change the main screen to Carplay. But I want seamless integration with the instrument cluster and head up display - I rarely look at the central display on the move, I want everything I need in line of sight.

I've noticed some manufacturers are just starting to fix this element of Carplay integration which is very encouraging.

That's a fair point, because the thing I've missed most in the Model 3 is a HUD. In my A4 Avant I used Android Auto exclusively but the directions were never displayed in the HUD which meant constantly looking at the central dash display which is a bit annoying.

Does the new 3 Series integrate CarPlay into the HUD?

Man of Honour
So, yes, it has a fully digital dash. But it doesn't really do anything useful that the analog dash does. So other than looking nice it isn't much of an improvement over the facelift. Onto the nav - one of the worst I've used. Both in terms of usability and routing algorithm. And the additional functionality just felt like a disjointed mess. Speed limit display for example - sometimes randomly displayed in the centre of the screen way out of my field of view. Sometimes never displayed at all. Great.

I'm a little confused by this comment. The digital dash is fully customisable, you can have whatever you want displayed on the left, middle and right hand side. So for example, I usually have my media displayed on the left, nav in the middle and my speedo on the right. Occasionally I'll go to Super Sport design where I usually have the trip or AMG gauges on the left where you can cycle through various modes, speedo/rev in the middle and then nav on the right. But I'm constantly changing what I have displayed and where, so many options of what you can put on there. And customising them is so easy with the touchpads on the wheel to just quickly cycle through options.

Speed limit is always displayed as well. Just in different places depending on the dial design you select. But it's always on display and clearly displayed...

Spotify comment, sounds like a Spotify issue with the MB software, as I use podcasts/Apple Music/Bluetooth and it has no issues resuming where I left off whatsoever

Agree on the HUD comment though, I have HUD on the 63, and do wish it would show what is going on with the nav if I use Waze or Apple Maps

Man of Honour
Just saw the sat nav comments, I actually prefer the MB sat-nav pre and post-facelift to the BMW nav which I found horrible after a while of owning the car. The BMW has superior live traffic display, but the routing always took me really funky ways and I just found it a bit of a ball ache to use once you really got familiar with it as some of the ways to change route options etc felt more of a faff than they should have been. Obviously both leaps and bounds ahead of the Jaguar system (new and old) that I used to have.

The controls are much more intuitive, more so in the post-facelift because of how quickly you can get around with the touch controls on the wheel. I also find the voice control works a lot better with the nav than I remember it doing with the F10. And again, similar to the digital dash, the speed limit of the road is always clearly displayed on the top right of the map (maybe top left, one of the two), and it doesn't just appear when the limit changes, it's always there

I'll double check if the bigger screen is an option and if that gives you some kind of software differences as well, same with the digital dash, because what you're describing doesn't sound like a post-facelift C-Class at all.

Soldato

Apple have only just released the API for screens beyond the main screen.

Man of Honour
I'm a little confused by this comment. The digital dash is fully customisable, you can have whatever you want displayed on the left, middle and right hand side. So for example, I usually have my media displayed on the left, nav in the middle and my speedo on the right.

It's not a full screen colour map though like Audi and MBUX. It's just a basic one.

You probably need to try something with MBUX to get what I mean.

Soldato
Obviously both leaps and bounds ahead of the Jaguar system (new and old) that I used to have.

A fair few over the air updates have improved the Jaguar system, principally full inclusion of Apple CarPlay and android auto. Obviously they are only really steps to close the gap than anything else.

Thankfully theres a new system in the I-PACE 21MY same as Defender that’s always on so boot up time has disappeared.

Caporegime
Interesting to read the woes of CarPlay with some premium brand cars, I’ve used a few trucks that have it and it works brilliantly, podcasts / whatever your playing resume where you left off , it remembers your phone book, recent calls, voice activation via Siri works beautifully.

Volvo, Scania & MAN (both VW group) have it implemented very well, car manufacturers take note!

Man of Honour
Interesting to read the woes of CarPlay with some premium brand cars, I’ve used a few trucks that have it and it works brilliantly, podcasts / whatever your playing resume where you left off , it remembers your phone book, recent calls, voice activation via Siri works beautifully.

Volvo, Scania & MAN (both VW group) have it implemented very well, car manufacturers take note!

Thats exactly how it works in a car too. We're talking about integration with the rest of the instrument cluster and head up display.

Soldato
I guess the problem is making sure the Carplay and AA interaction is sandboxed so it could not take-out/interfere with the (legally required?) speedo display,
(which may well be teslas concerns)

but despite your personal weighting of the importance of car infotainment system, and, the MB looks, that is not going to outweigh other merits of the bmw brand .. handling/engine
ie the the M340i, is the top contender.

OcUK Staff
M5 now looking how I want it:

EEAF6051-20FE-40BF-864D-EDF363788242.jpeg C1ACAAEB-EE0B-4502-AB18-5A8B1353BAEC.jpeg 376758B7-3F40-4355-AC47-36E5471CF066.jpeg

Got some TLC to do, Stone chips, machine polishing, only hand polished for now and maybe a bush refresh as some of them I feel have a bit of play in them, otherwise it seems a very sorted car and am over moon with transformation in looks. :)

Back
Top Bottom