Cool scam

Soldato
A good friend of mine tells me of a trader he knows who was paid a deposit on a £52,000 car and the trader then asked for the final payment to be made by bank transfer. On checking his account it later showed the balance to have been paid in, so he released the car. Time goes on and he finds the scammer had got enough bank and personal details to arranged a loan in the seller's name and the transfer was from a loan company and he was paying it back himself ;) Not resolved two months later... Be careful! Better than working, for some, huh?

Why lie to complete strangers on the internet? You're anonymous, a nobody, so what do you gain from it?

Soldato
Okay, so how do I, as the owner of a dormant business prevent a bounce-back loan being taken out in the name of my business?
I wouldn't worry about it, there's no benefit to anyone just randomly taking out one of these loans on your behalf, as it gets paid to your business.

The scam here was telling someone that they'd pay them £50,000 and then taking the loan so the business thought the loan being deposited was the 'payment' they were expecting and would hand over a £50,000 asset.

Man of Honour
scumbag moves... but quite impressive all the same. Though can't be that smart as I'd expect you'd register the car in your name and all of a sudden they know who you are!

It's scary what's out there to purchase though. So many peoples cards/details are up for sale and they have no idea.

There are ways to sell stolen cars, especially new ones of a desirable type and especially ones that aren't yet known to be stolen. The scammer wouldn't get anywhere near the full retail price, but since it cost them nothing whatever they get is profit.

Back
Top Bottom