Battery driven lawnmower + tools.

Caporegime
I dunno if they are a big thing in the UK but here it's popular.

Anyone got experience with any of these at any voltages?

Ryobi do a system 36v 2x18v I assume as do a plethora of no name Chinese companies. All between 18 and 40v

Other tools that share the same battery Inc strimmers, hedge trimmers, drilldrivers etc.

Bosch and black and decker also do systems.

Other than pitiful, I assume running times, 15 to 20min on a lawnmower? Does anyone have experience of these?

Anyone to avoid.?

I have about 600m2 of grass to chomp max

Soldato
No direct experience myself but a friend has a Ryobi battery mower and rates it really well for his small new build back garden.

I have a Ryobi battery strimmer which i find excellent for what it's design to do, edging and keeping stuff tidy its brilliant. It won't cut through overgrown brush but it's not designed to.

My mower is battery, but a Husqvarna robot mower so a bit different... however it does do an amazing job.

Soldato
I'm pretty much enshrined in the Makita family of products, which generally happens when you buy in to battery operated tools. On the gardening side of things I have:

- lawn mower (430cm, 2x18v)
- strimmer (1x18v)
- grass shears (1x18v)
- chainsaw (16" bar, 2x18v)

They are all great tool but since you're mainly interested in a lawn mover, I'll tell you my findings on mine, the DLM432Z. It uses 2 18v batteries to make it 36v of which I wouldn't go any less than 5Ah capacity each or you'll run out of juice. I can manage a fair bit of garden but it depends on how much grass it's cutting, i.e. the load on the motor. Lasts a lot longer than 20 minutes though. If my grass is particularly long I find myself making two cuts, each on different days. The batteries do get hot when using them under load so I always wait for them to cool before charging to prolong their life. So I'd recommend 4 5Ah batteries and a twin charger and you'll be good.

Is it better than petrol or corded? I think so, mixing fuel and the exhaust fumes from petrol mowers is a nuisance and mowing where a corded mower can't reach is great. The only exception I'd make for petrol is for my blower; a battery blower would need a backpack and 4 batteries to get remotely the same runtime - still stinks though!

I'd love a Husqvarna robot mower like @sovietspybob but not until they are intelligent enough to detect dog poo and avoid it.

Associate
I have an Erbauer lawn mower and strimmer.

It lasts a while, I would say 3 - 4 cuts but my lawn is 50m2. They are powerful enough and quick charging batteries means they charge in 20mins or so.

Usually description gives a rough m2 for a complete charge, I doubt anything will cover 600m2.

Soldato
My new house's garden is about the same size. I decided to get one of these. :p

RideOn.jpg

Soldato
How much are the battery mowers? Might be worth stretching to a small robot one?

Mine is literally the best bit of tech i've owned since the original iPhone, who likes cutting grass twice a week? nobody that's who!

Caporegime
OP
How much are the battery mowers? Might be worth stretching to a small robot one?

Mine is literally the best bit of tech i've owned since the original iPhone, who likes cutting grass twice a week? nobody that's who!

Yeah we are moving onto that idea now but it's double the cost at least we have incredibly harsh weather here at winter so I'm wondering how the ground cabling will fare.

Plenty of people here have them but I've mostly seen top of the range ones.

Associate
I have a battery mower and it is a joy to use, lightweight and quick, garden is only 10mx10m, I would buy another without hesitation, low maintainance and no cables to worry about so manoevreing around objects is hassle free but on a garden as large as yours battery will be an issue, I get about an hour out of mine it is just enough to go around my garden at 3 different cutting lengths, I guess if you are more on top of your lawn you wouldn't have to do a multi cut but I tend to leave it.

If I was buying again I would consider the family of garden/house tools that use the same battery such that you could have one charging whilst the other is in use, think Ryobi do this, would be nice if my strimmer and hedge cutter etc all used the same, but i didn't think that far ahead on buying.

Soldato
Yeah we are moving onto that idea now but it's double the cost at least we have incredibly harsh weather here at winter so I'm wondering how the ground cabling will fare.

Plenty of people here have them but I've mostly seen top of the range ones.

Well Scandinavia seems to be the home of them so i'd assume they're ok with it, the boundary cable isn't anything special so i don't see why it should cause any issues being in the ground over winter and you'd take the mower in and leave it in a garage or shed when the weather gets bad in the depths of winter.

Caporegime
OP
Oh well ended up getting this McCulloch ROB 800 Was on sale and came with all we will probably need so... Moderately happy. Not super GPS Fancy or nonsense but hopefully it will chop for 5 years....

Soldato
got mine from argos quite a while back now ,48 volt ,totally awesome ,had petrol ones and always a pain ,leaking ,hunting ,not starting smelly ect ect ect think bottom garden is 55 mtr long and it never runs out on me.
the weight makes it feel like a toy but it really does the job and charging only an hour ,went cordless hedge trimmer and thats great too

IMG-20200502-153628.jpg

Associate
I spent a long time evaluating battery garden tools a few years ago and I went with EGO who only make battery devices for home and professional use. I found the Stihl battery to be inferior, despite their excellent petrol equipment.

So for lawn mowing we went with this:
https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/mowers/lm2122e-sp-52cm-self-propelled-mower

Not cheap but does our approx 300sqm garden with less than half a charge even when long and damp on the 56v 7.0AH battery (which charges in under an hour). The self propelled feature also has variable speed with no all makes do.

EGO have a 5 year warranty on device, 3 on battery. We've now got four of their devices and five batteries and all their tools are well made with either very thick plastic or strong metal bodies. We've had most of this for 4 to 5 years now and we only had one issue and that was with a smaller battery at 3 years (still worked but showed a warning light) and the local dealer swapped it without question.

I've mowed lawns with everything from a 12" electric mower to a diesel tractor with hydraulic gangs and I am really impressed with EGO battery gear and wouldn't use anything else for sub 600sqm. No fuel to buy, no engine maintenance, just change/sharpen blades/cutters.

Back
Top Bottom