** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Apparently this issue that many are having with screen flickering, will not go away as its a problem with the VA panel technology, something to do with pushing it much faster response time wise, and a firmware update COULD fix it, but a trade off would be the monitor becoming SLOWER than it currently is....

I am glad I did not get seduced by the "discount" pricing on offer previously, as I believe they are overpriced anyways, but with these issues being to common, I really CBA with back and forth shipping for replacement monitors, add these issues to all the dead/stuck pixel issues and this launch is just a mess.

This monitor is a hard AVOID/PASS, until black Friday, then and only then, if issues are fixed and pricing is decent, ill consider it.
Not sure how it can be related to VA technology itself. The scaler chip behind it, maybe. It has to do many things at once with VRR and variable overdrive.

As for being overpriced... It is a new milestone for monitors, offering something no other monitor does (an actually fast VA with VA colors and contrast at realistic and smooth 240Hz). Same as new LG 38" nanoIPS, ridiculous prices, but best available.
I ordered my 32" before discount, so was prepared to pay full price. Still think its worth it. Discount came as a pleasant bonus.
No dead pixels, don't care much for adaptive sync, so flickering doesn't affect me.

Permabanned
I think it is cheap, the first ever G-Sync monitor the poor QA Asus Rog TN over £600-£650 at launch years ago (think it was 2013-14) wages were lower then so that was more than £600 today and look at the Asus/Acer higher end models now are £1000-2000+ which do not have as many features in some aspects.

The G9 for size and amount of dimming zones and HDR1000 (not counting the QA issues) is cheap.

Associate
Could you just measure the actual width and depth of just the screen? Should be able to work out the curve then. I know the measurements are on the product page however wanted to measure it just to be 100%.

Max projection of screen. not including bezel is 185mm, 1/2 width 572mm

Associate
I have my G7 32" delivered yesterday. The g-sync flicker problem is diabolical at times on most games I've tried despite latest driver and firmware update rendering it pretty much unusable with adaptive sync enabled. I have also had colours go crazy on a couple of occasions when I've disabled adaptive sync. I returned a Dell S3220DGF from where I bought it due to slight flicker on loading screens (not g sync certified) and occasional black scree issues. However I wish I had kept it as it is nothing compared to this. What is Overclockers return policy on this monitor? It should never have been given g sync certification and should be recalled unless this is fixed pronto. I suspect Samsung will ignore it though. If anyone is buying this for g sync and expects to run games on high graphics settings, think again....

Associate
Got my 32" :D
Very happy, but damn its big. And the stand is not helping. When aligned with edge of table monitor is some 15cm closer to me than my previous one, plus the curve.
Looking at Vesa mounts, that allow pushing back as far as possible.
anybody tried Vesa with G7 yet?

Got my G7 32" today using the same monitor arm I used for another 32" monitor all working fine. In the box there is a bracket fit that to the monitor then the VESA mount will fit. (The bracket looks like is also used to fit the monitor stand).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBMYLZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Permabanned
I ordered the 27" a few days ago with it arriving yesterday, I can genuinely say i've never had a monitor this good in my life, even just experiencing the smooth fluidity at such a high resolution, with the strong contrast blew me away. I knew I would like this monitor but if you're on the fence I really do recommend it whole heartedly, 240hz with colour representation this good at 1440p feels incredible, truly excited for all the games coming out later this year now :)

Associate
I ordered the 27" a few days ago with it arriving yesterday, I can genuinely say i've never had a monitor this good in my life, even just experiencing the smooth fluidity at such a high resolution, with the strong contrast blew me away. I knew I would like this monitor but if you're on the fence I really do recommend it whole heartedly, 240hz with colour representation this good at 1440p feels incredible, truly excited for all the games coming out later this year now :)

I assume you did not order it from here? I know you're not allowed to say where, but I have seen a number of other online retailers with stock available for immediate delivery, while OCUK is still behind on fulfilling pre-orders from weeks ago.

Associate
There are "other" retailers with far more buying power than OCUK I'm afraid. Large retailers as big as a jungle even!
Had the G9 been available anywhere I would have gone for it but OCUK was the only place I saw it available for pre-order...

Associate
There are "other" retailers with far more buying power than OCUK I'm afraid. Large retailers as big as a jungle even!
Had the G9 been available anywhere I would have gone for it but OCUK was the only place I saw it available for pre-order...

Indeed. I admit I was driven by the price, saving money is generally more important at the moment. But the experience has left much to be desired. I've never before pre-ordered something, and been left waiting for weeks after full release to get the item when others have been able to go to a shop, order it, and receive it immediately. Will make me think more carefully in future. And likely reconsider returning here.

Associate
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The first time I've pre-ordered but not sure I'd do it via OCUK again. I agree, the issue with the G9 is not their fault, however, they only received 20 of the 150 they initially ordered. I'm sure a bigger retailer would have had higher priority.

Still, it is what it is so we must wait :)

Permabanned
The Hardware Unboxed YT review settings bar the Black EQ (some prefer it 18-20), default is 13 he said lower to 10 (but his needed 9).

Associate
okay g7 settings then folks
what are we changing? all seems bloody bright to me at default!
might just be old eyes
Set color profile to sRGB, reduce Brightness until eyes don't hurt. You're done.

I use brightness 40 during day, 20 in dark room

The Hardware Unboxed YT review settings bar the Black EQ (some prefer it 18-20), default is 13 he said lower to 10 (but his needed 9).
Keep Black equalizer at default 13 always. Anything else distorts colors.

Permabanned
I assume you did not order it from here? I know you're not allowed to say where, but I have seen a number of other online retailers with stock available for immediate delivery, while OCUK is still behind on fulfilling pre-orders from weeks ago.

I didn't buy it from OCUK unfortunately, but I would have liked to

Back
Top Bottom