What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Rampage.

Expected it to be naff, but aside from a few sequences where they cut corners on the CGI it was surprisingly passable in a turn your brain off, jokey, cheesy, monster action movie sort of way.

I've enjoyed all of the films in the series, which I believe makes three so far?

Associate
Associate
I watched Menace II Society on Netflix since the first time it came out on video around 93 or 94.

It definitely held up well with a sharp script, good performances and a true sense of danger throughout. Larenz Tate as O-Dog a truly underrated performance in just how chillingly careless he acts in it aged just 18. Embodies the reckless stupidity of youthful gangbangers who know nothing better. There were a lot of good crime movies in the 90's so it didn't stand out as much back then, but I really think it still stands up today as a great gangster movie.

Interested to notice I recognised a lot of slang this time round that I didn't register at all back in 94. You can see how culture gets absorbed into the mainstream, especially how much African American slang has permeated via mass use of online that this predates by about a decade.

Also you can see just how much Rockstar North took from this to make GTA San Andreas, it's hugely influential in that regard visually and in terms of storyline.

Still well worth the watch in 2020 and highly topical right now for a film that's almost 30 years old.

Associate
all the Rampage talk and I thought you're were all meaning the film with the giant animals, and getting really confused about sequels and the lack of any giant animal on the linked IMDB pages :roll:

I'll give the other Rampage a go ;)

While speaking about giant animals, this week I've done the present Monsterverse films:

Godzilla (2014 version)
Kong, Skull Island
Godzilla, King of the Monsters

All very watchable, despite being another Hollywood attempt at Godzilla. Generally about 6-6.5/10, I'd say. Kong probably the strongest out of the 3 and has some surprisingly great visual shots, very much like a 'Nam film, despite not being one.

Then today I watched Dark Waters for a change of pace. Decent drama showing the legal fight against a chemical company poisoning the water supply - slow and drags at times, but I think it's intentional for the story.

Back
Top Bottom