Argos - book of dreams.

Soldato
Hands up if you would pay £5 for a (reasonably good quality) laminated catalogue once a year? I know I would. It's just not the same browsing Argos online

Commissario
Hands up if you would pay £5 for a (reasonably good quality) laminated catalogue once a year? I know I would. It's just not the same browsing Argos online
Maplin's had the right idea with that, IIRC you paid for the catalogue to take home, but it had vouchers so you usually got the cost the catalogue back if you spent more than £10 at a go a few times (and if you used them a lot, you could get several times the cost of the catalogue back).

Caporegime
Maplin's had the right idea with that, IIRC you paid for the catalogue to take home, but it had vouchers so you usually got the cost the catalogue back if you spent more than £10 at a go a few times (and if you used them a lot, you could get several times the cost of the catalogue back).

You had to pay for those? :eek: I usually just picked one up on the way out. :o

Associate
I bought a GameBoy Pocket at Argos mid to late 90s but recently sold it. :(

Last thing I bought from Argos was a cheap mattress and that was more for convenience purposes not from drooling over...
I recall buying the Gameboy in the mid 90s, I think from Argos. One of the first games I purchased was called Nemesis. This was one of the games I use to play at the arcades in Soho (Central London) in the mid 80s. The other game was Pacman.

Soldato
I can remember when I didn't know what "Sugg'd retail" (or whatever the exact abbreviation was) meant (next to the prices) so I used to pronounce it as it was written.

(This was in the early 80's when young Yad was lusting after a very swish Casio "diver's watch". :))

Edit: it was #11 on this page of the '84/'85 catalogue. "Phwoor!", I loved that watch.

http://dev.argosbookofdreams.co.uk/1984-85.html#page=26

Last edited:
Associate

Lol Maplin's, get several times the cost of catalogue back but still pay 30% more for the same product you can get cheaper elsewhere.

Soldato
i used to look through the argos catalogues constantly in the 80's when i was a kid, i am kinda sad to see it go but at the same time im thinking they don't half sell some bs :p

soo many things are reduced by half...... yeh, display something for a day or 2 in the back of the store for a high price and then say a few days later 50% off come and get it, i bought a muddy fox full suspension bike for 200 quid by fallen for that, few weeks later i cleaned it up good, returned it and got a btwin rockrider 540.... which has thousands of miles on it :)

do not get me started on every thing that was wrong with that bike or what the daft women tried to say to get out of a refund......, i knew what a proper bike felt like i had a ridgeback since primary 6 :p

im too drunk, but she tried to say if i had different pedals on it no warranty, dumb, glad she was too dumb to notice i had a shimano bottom bracket i took out and put the original one back in, still not used that bottom bracket and was not gonna give them a 29 quid bottom bracket :p

edit: last thing i bought from them was my cheapo 180 quid samsung monitor, had massive screen bleed etc and no matter what i done free sync would not enable, they turned up on a sunday and took the old one away and left me the one im typing on years ago.

free sync enabled straight away on this one, rumour has it im still on this 1080p monitor to this day :)

Last edited:
Never knew Sainsburys put you in some snob group, well I never. Thought that was reserved for Waitrose.

'Snob' would have been the right word back in the late 90s as M&S and Sainsbury's were regarded as the posh stores. Nowadays, it's M&S and Waitrose's. Sainsbury's are now in the same bracket as ASDA and Tesco.

Anyone know if this is hosted anywhere else as the website now seems to link straight to Argos main site?

I just tried and the same happened. Did Argos buy the domain name?

Back
Top Bottom