talk talk 900mbps

Soldato
moving into a new build in Nov/Dec and it has openreach FTTP.

Has anyone used talktalk UFO?
What is the upload speed (Can't find it anywhere)?

is the internet reliable?

I have my own router & pcie adapters so wifi wont be used from their equipment.

Soldato
Not heard great things about TalkTalk's UFO network... and had first hand experience (several times with family and my own line in previous years) on their FTTC plans and it sucked. Big time.

Always had problems with TT they're so shocking to deal with. I'd rather pay BT for their Full Fibre 900 if I could get it... Much more reliable!

Associate
TalkTalk UFO is different to Openreach FTTP. UFO is their CityFibre venture. TalkTalk have just released their Openreach FTTP product but there isn't a 900mb option. Also for now it's on for new customers.

Caporegime
As above, UFO isn't Openreach. The fastest service they deliver on Openreach's FTTP network is 500Mbps down and 75Mbps up.

Associate
I’m on talk talk ufo which is 1 gig up and down. Had it since Feb this year and it’s been faultless and only £27.50 a month. Only issue I have is my tp link router stops every now and again and a reboot fixes it. Switching that out.

Permabanned
TalkTalk. Great company. In the two years I was with them they added the wrong things to my packaged twice, accidentally cancelled my broadband once (which took two weeks to reconnect) and the company was hacked and they lost all my data. I was honestly scared to phone them. Their CS never understood what you were talking about and beyond resetting the power their tech people were completely useless too. Sure! Get Talktalk. They are cheap. And you get what you pay for!!

Soldato
They are cheap. And you get what you pay for!!
paying a lot for broadband doesn’t mean good support. I pay £43 for virgin media broadband and their customer services is bloody terrible, wrong packages and channels, billing issues, tech support was in India and the other half could not understand them at all (called late one evening) and utterly hopeless.

Service will be going once the contract is up!

Permabanned
paying a lot for broadband doesn’t mean good support. I pay £43 for virgin media broadband and their customer services is bloody terrible, wrong packages and channels, billing issues, tech support was in India and the other half could not understand them at all (called late one evening) and utterly hopeless.

Service will be going once the contract is up!

That's why now I am with Zen. Their customer service is outstanding. I know it's asking a lot to pay extra every month for a service you rarely use, but when you do need good CS they make every penny well spent. I remember when I phoned them up because my modem had failed. I had a Draytek something or other to replace my modem and router. The Draytek is not one of Zens supported devices, and the setup on it was really confusing. But the Zen Technical Support sat on the phone with me sorting it out, and sort it out they did! Believe me when I say that Talktalk would just tell you it's not supported and hang up on you.

Soldato
That's why now I am with Zen. Their customer service is outstanding. I know it's asking a lot to pay extra every month for a service you rarely use, but when you do need good CS they make every penny well spent. I remember when I phoned them up because my modem had failed. I had a Draytek something or other to replace my modem and router. The Draytek is not one of Zens supported devices, and the setup on it was really confusing. But the Zen Technical Support sat on the phone with me sorting it out, and sort it out they did! Believe me when I say that Talktalk would just tell you it's not supported and hang up on you.
Maybe a provider I will consider then down the line, I don't mind paying a bit more for a good CS service.

its like OCUK, they may not always be the cheapest for PC parts but I don't mind paying more (within reason!) as their customer service is very good when I have had to use it.

The Drayteks can be confusing, where I work we used to supply the 2820 routers for people that needed them. So many options, VPN stuff, multiple lan configurations etc. I can understand why talk talk may not deal with 3rd party routers but surely to test if its a router issue you could awlays plug their router back in and if no issues you know its a config problem.

I did for get to mention I am only on 100mb (get 110 on speed tests) and annoys me so much when a new customer can get this for £27 but I cant get it any lower even though I have been with them for over 12 years. They no longer care about their loyal customers and if I didn't need my internet to work from home (still full time and shielding so did not want another provider in the house setting up a new phone line etc) this also would have gone when we cancelled the TV packages in July.

What speed do you get and how much do you pay (if you don't mind me asking)

Soldato
The network is actually really good they just seem to put awful support in front of it.

Business is very different to the consumer side, if you have a routing problem as a consumer for example, you better pray to whatever imaginary friend you place your faith in as no matter how high you escalate, they literally don’t have a clue.

Soldato
OP
Business is very different to the consumer side, if you have a routing problem as a consumer for example, you better pray to whatever imaginary friend you place your faith in as no matter how high you escalate, they literally don’t have a clue.

Im with vm business at the moment and tbh i have an engineer out within 12 hours of a fault and help line always been helpful to me. Can even text issues and help over instead of calling.

Vm standard was terrible hence swapping to business.

As long as bt cs are better and it gets the speed i pay for its not an isssue. Saving £40/mo is nothing really.

Soldato
Im with vm business at the moment and tbh i have an engineer out within 12 hours of a fault and help line always been helpful to me. Can even text issues and help over instead of calling.

As long as bt cs are better and it gets the speed i pay for its not an isssue. Saving £40/mo is nothing really.

The better ISPs have networks that don't need to give good customer service and engineers at short notices, because their network rarely fails. :D

Associate
I have been with Plusnet for a few years without any problems and their help system is excellent, either by phone or on their forum where a rep. answers any queries very quickly

Soldato

The reply was specific to TT who's business side isn't awful, where as the consumer side is. Having worked for VM, the the business and consumer networks at the level discussed were and likely are still the same, they run on and are managed by the same systems, you get a different CPE and a static IP, improved SLA on faults with the ability to claim compensation (though the OFCOM changes mean that's now a thing on the consumer side) and traffic prioritisation, which as published data shows is a moot point in many areas. You also get dedicated support, which may or may not have any real value unless something goes wrong and requires someone with competency to investigate, by the time you get to 2nd line, you should be getting that anyway - at least VM have some concept of how network routing works, even if they have been known to get it horribly, horribly wrong on occasions :D

Soldato
Had talk talk for a couple of years now, even moved house with them, no issues to report.

Currently paying the equivalent of under £17/month for FTTC with speed boost.

Back
Top Bottom