Is this build any good?

Associate
Hi, i am looking to build a good gaming pc which will last some time (hopefully) that can play triple AAA games. i know very little about pc gaming as i have been console all my life. Ive done some research into what is high end ish. Will this build last its value? I know its hard to say with game requirements ever changing but would this pc be kinda future proof? If so what would possibly need changing in the future if thats easy to say? I know gpu may need changing in a few years but anything else? Like i said im pretty much clueless. Any changes or recommendations would be appreciated or have i got what im wanting?

Cpu- AMD ryzen 7 3700x

Motherboard- Asus ROG STRIX B550-E

Memory- Corsair vengeance RGB pro 16Gb DDR4 3600

Storage- seagate firecuda 2tb 2.5 internal & western digital sn750 1tb M.2 nvme solid state drive

GPU- Radeon Rx5700xt

Power- Corsair Rm 750 w 80+ gold

Case- inwin 303 atx

Case fans- Noctua nf p12 redux 1700 pwm ( ive drafted 6- 3 for top and 3 bottom. Is that too much?

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you

Man of Honour
ARCTIC COOLING P12 PWM are good at £6 each but are out of stock on overclockers. 6 seems a lot but it's up to you. Normally you slightly more fans bring air into the case then exhaust.

What cpu cooler you going to use?

The rest of the build looks solid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Geez so many new people joining the forum these last few weeks, fresh to PCs and want really good rigs lol :p

Quirky case choice I like it lol although airflow isn't that great in that case. You get 1 pre-installed fan at the rear, yes you can get 3x fans each at top and bottom, sounds overkill imo but could well be necessary to keep things cool in that case.

What monitor do you have, or plan to buy? (so we know resolution and refresh rate)

Do you need WiFi? What's your total budget?

Associate
OP
ARCTIC COOLING P12 PWM are good at £6 each but are out of stock on overclockers. 6 seems a lot but it's up to you. Normally you slightly more fans bring air into the case then exhaust.

What cpu cooler you going to use?

The rest of the build looks solid.
I thought a cooler is with the cpu? I might be wrong but this is all new to me and i kinda want whats best, if not what do you recommend?

Associate
OP
Geez so many new people joining the forum these last few weeks, fresh to PCs and want really good rigs lol :p

Quirky case choice I like it lol although airflow isn't that great in that case. You get 1 pre-installed fan at the rear, yes you can get 3x fans each at top and bottom, sounds overkill imo but could well be necessary to keep things cool in that case.

What monitor do you have, or plan to buy? (so we know resolution and refresh rate)

Do you need WiFi? What's your total budget?
Yeah i would kinda want something decent tho, what case would you recommend instead? What about the build itself? Worth the money? I reckon i need a new monitor so suggestions on that would be great too, wifi would be wired, wireless can be an option too tho. Budget roughly £1500

Soldato
I'll assume you can be wired, because I think you meant to say you can be wired to router? And you don't need WiFi? Was a little confusing the way you worded it lol

So this would be my suggestion with a really nice 24" 1080p high refresh rate monitor.

The CPU does come with a cooler, but the stock one is a bit 'meh'. This aftermarket one will keep the temps and noise down better.

Case is really your personal choice, the P500A I suggested is a new one that's got good airflow. I've not added any RGB/bling lights as the parts are a tad more expensive but not by much. But if you did want anything with RGB or more flashy i.e. case or RAM etc you can for about same price or not much more.

Just depends what sorta look you want? Some like a plain sleek look, some like a bit of colour/RGB etc. :p

Edit: Didn't realise you wouldn't mind going higher than 1080p if you can, so if you'd like a decent 1440p monitor then I'd suggest something like either LG 27GL850-B (very nice IPS panel), Gigabyte G27QC or Asus VG27WQ.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,323.75 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll assume you can be wired, because I think you meant to say you can be wired to router? And you don't need WiFi? Was a little confusing the way you worded it lol

So this would be my suggestion with a really nice 24" 1080p high refresh rate monitor.

The CPU does come with a cooler, but the stock one is a bit 'meh'. This aftermarket one will keep the temps and noise down better.

Case is really your personal choice, the P500A I suggested is a new one that's got good airflow. I've not added any RGB/bling lights as the parts are a tad more expensive but not by much. But if you did want anything with RGB or more flashy i.e. case or RAM etc you can for about same price or not much more.

Just depends what sorta look you want? Some like a plain sleek look, some like a bit of colour/RGB etc. :p

Edit: Didn't realise you wouldn't mind going higher than 1080p if you can, so if you'd like a decent 1440p monitor then I'd suggest something like either Gigabyte G27QC or Asus VG27WQ

Total: £1,323.75 (includes shipping: £0.00)
Thank you, ill keep this build in mind! And yeah sorry i meant i am wired

Man of Honour
I thought a cooler is with the cpu? I might be wrong but this is all new to me and i kinda want whats best, if not what do you recommend?
Yes it comes with the Wraith Prism cooler which is good but can get noisy under load. See how you get on with it you can always get a diffrent one later.

The ARCTIC FREEZER 34 ESPORTS is a very good cooler.

Soldato
If monitor is separate on the budget, only thing I'd change is up CPU to 3700X to better future proof the system + put the LG display in the spec.

Again as mentioned if wanted any RGB/bling then can swap the case, cooler and RAM out for something else.

Total: £1,697.79 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Great value case if you don't mind ARGB fans. You get 4 pre-installed. It will fit the above spec by Sparx.

Also this Ram is cheap for 32GB but it is pre-order at the moment. Shame the price has gone up, as it was £99 earlier.

Total: £194.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
I would definitely recommend the LG monitor as I own one, it's especially great if you like fps games as it has very low input lag and response time.

The 3700X will be better going forward as the new consoles will be based on 8 core ryzen.

The B grade 2070 will give you raytracing and DLSS for around the same price as the 5700XT so will age better and the ram being binned B-die will most likely do up too 4400mhz OC if in the future you decide to upgrade to Zen3 which will be able to run higher ram speed.

Total: £1,714.42 (includes shipping: £19.62)

Last edited:
Associate
^^ cracking tip there - normally go all used apart from core components like mobo and processor but yeah some B grade has really great values.

Soldato
Monitor isnt part of the budget, sorry forgot to say haha
2560x1440 144Hz monitors start from £300/little below.
Also if you prefer darkened room, then VA panel's way highest contrast of LCDs smashes IPS, which is better for normal room lightning.
Until we get proper FALD backlights, IPS simply has too limited contrast for darkened room.

Back
Top Bottom