New Machine

Associate
So the time has come as the other halfs laptop has broken down (its around 5 year old so we've had our money out of it!)

so the budget top end is around £800

She will need a monitor

I'm not bothered for keyboard / mouse right now as we can sort that ourselves

So my thinking was being she only plays world of warcraft that its not needing to be all out top end 144hz 1440p etc

B550 board for future?
a 3100 or 3300 would be more than enough for the needs right now?
a 1660 or 5600xt would easily be good enough for a few years
theres some ok m2 SSD's on offer so snapping one up should be easy enough
PSU - a good quality 550w for this?
Then its just RAM and a case

Soldato
Good spec by Joxeon - yeah £800 limits you a bit when you also need a monitor included, not by much but means have to cut corners on the MB, SSD capacity and case.

Might be worth asking OcUK why this B-Grade 1660S (same as above) is £40 more than brand new. Try get them to knock some money off this below new cost?

B550 board will cost you a chunk of change more than the B-Grade B450 board above, for a decent ATX B550 MB it's £155 (Gigabyte Aorus Elite). Or maybe stick with the B450 board and up the SSD to 1TB if useful for £23 more (this one) maybe

Edit: Or again in the B-Grade section... OCUK have the MSI B550M Mortar for same price as new... Could ask again to chop price down if wanna get a B550 mATX board. (why OcUK don't check some of these prices I have no idea lol)

Soldato
Yeah, if you want stuff like a B550 then you have to either up the budget or cut down on the monitor or GPU which imo wouldn't be worth sacrificing for the PCIe gen 4 feature which you would probably never use.

Associate
OP
Aware that the monitor is the downside, thats the issue with going from laptop to PC eh

As above its not for me but the mrs who cant notice the difference between SD and HD content still so! could get away with a CRT and she'd probably be happy!

as for SSD space, being she only plays 2 or 3 games its not really going to be a major issue (and if so I have some 1tb mechanical drives laid around that I could put into the machine)

Associate
OP
so I missed the boat on this one clearly

I did manage to get the laptop back working however it seems to be totally dead now so its abit more urgent to replace

So work have purchased me a nice new monitor as working from home is happening for a bit longer so I can scrap that from my budget for now

I'm thinking something like this based on the other half taking my B450 carbon pro / 1600af / RX590 setup

Cpu - 3100 - not that OCUK have any still, stop gap cpu ready for upgrade in no to long
Mobo - B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
GPU - Sticky point being I'm gaming at 1080p I guess an RX5600XT would do more than fine for a long time
Ram - 16gig 3200mhz stuff as like above
PSU - I'd like modular (I have a case for this stuff to go in so no issue)
Storage - 500gig NVME of choice
Fans - I need 3 x 120mm fans for an O11D case!

Shame I couldnt make that laptop do another month or so!

Associate
OP
Certainly will pal, I mean the assumption being at 1080p I guess the 5600 will do a couple of years easily!

Back
Top Bottom