e-Golf or Zoe?

Associate
Hi All,

I need to swap my car. I’ve currently got a Leaf Tekna 30kwh and want to stay electric. I have narrowed my next options down to the eGolf 35kwh with no options And the Renault Zoe GT Line 50kwh Rapid Charge.

The eGolf is £280 on a 1+36 lease and the Zoe is £290 on a 1+48 lease. The Renault has a 4 year warranty so happy and would prefer to keep it the extra year because the hassle of deal hunting and swapping drives me up the wall.

I’ve had German hatchbacks and saloons and always felt like I was driving a bathtub but can’t argue with the quality of the finish being better. But the Zoe has more range and more toys and I had a mk1 Zoe in 2015 and got on well with it.

Not sure which way to go and wondered what people’s thoughts were?

Thanks.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I would probably go for the shorter lease as the electric car landscape will likely change a lot in 3 years giving you a better selection for similar price when it comes to changing. The Zoe may be a bit slow with only 110hp vs 135hp in the Golf.

Soldato
Personally, I'd go with the Zoe. Far better range, far better spec, and it was designed from the group up to be an EV, thus avoiding some of the oddities you get in a converted ICE model.

FYI, the drive train of both cars will have a five year warranty. It's a requirement of the plug-in car grant. So most of the expensive bits of the Zoe are covered for the full term of the lease.

One other thing to note; if you haven't sat in a Zoe yet, it's a lot smaller than a Leaf. The Golf is somewhere in between.

Soldato
Yeah i'd say the Zoe, that is the new model with CCS you're looking at right? If so i've only heard good things about it, the golf is an outdated compromised platform being a converted ICE so i'd much rather go for the EV from the ground up Zoe.

Soldato
If you wanted a bigger car have a look at the hyundai Ioniq, there were some very good lease deals around on them a few months back. only a 38KWH battery but it's one of the most efficient EV's around so goes quite far on a charge.

Soldato
If you wanted a bigger car have a look at the hyundai Ioniq, there were some very good lease deals around on them a few months back. only a 38KWH battery but it's one of the most efficient EV's around so goes quite far on a charge.

Sadly the epic deals aren't around right now, it is such a great car though in terms of features and efficiency. Seeing between 5.4-6.2 mpkWh at the moment, it is great on long runs and doesn't loose much range at higher speeds compared with other less efficient models. The fact I can cover 210-230 miles from only 38kWh of electricity or about £2 is great, and I'll be keeping the vehicle long after the lease ends unless something better arrives near the end of the deal term. :)

Not sure which way to go and wondered what people’s thoughts were?

Do you need the range of the Zoe? The Golf has a much shorter range, and the basic model comes with no heat pump so you'll lose some extra range on the colder days, if you like it very warm in your car.

I'd also reflect what was said above, you should be looking at a 24 month deal, which will work out the same per month give or take a £100-200 for most models, as you'll find much better deals in 24 months when then market has more options to chose from, and yes I understand what you said below, but if you check with your lessor they will normally let you keep the vehicle for the same payment (or sometimes less) per month after the term ends meaning if there are no deals you don't need to panic.

because the hassle of deal hunting and swapping drives me up the wall.

Soldato
Sadly the epic deals aren't around right now, it is such a great car though in terms of features and efficiency. Seeing between 5.4-6.2 mpkWh at the moment, it is great on long runs and doesn't loose much range at higher speeds compared with other less efficient models. The fact I can cover 210-230 miles from only 38kWh of electricity or about £2 is great, and I'll be keeping the vehicle long after the lease ends unless something better arrives near the end of the deal term. :)

Do you need the range of the Zoe? The Golf has a much shorter range, and the basic model comes with no heat pump so you'll lose some extra range on the colder days, if you like it very warm in your car.

I'd also reflect what was said above, you should be looking at a 24 month deal, which will work out the same per month give or take a £100-200 for most models, as you'll find much better deals in 24 months when then market has more options to chose from, and yes I understand what you said below, but if you check with your lessor they will normally let you keep the vehicle for the same payment (or sometimes less) per month after the term ends meaning if there are no deals you don't need to panic.

I'm fairly sure an Ioniq will be my next car, i really like the look of them. Might well be the old 28KWh model but i'd love to stretch to the 38KWh if i can as i think it'd be something we'd keep a long time as a 2nd car so even if after 8-10 years the range degrades a bit it'll still be very useful.

How far can you go on the motorway with one if your cruising at sensible speeds?

Soldato
How far can you go on the motorway with one if your cruising at sensible speeds?

4.5mpkWh is easily achievable, which will give you 171 miles from 100% and that is driving like a idiot, and not using smart cruise control etc. When it is wet and lots of headwinds that will drop a little bit but I've not done a long run in the wet with it yet to get a solid reading. I tend to do about 60-65 (sometimes 70) and stay with a nice constant relaxing speed without having to think about it, can't stand the knobs who weave in and out over take then slow down and just cause chaos for no reason. :D

Associate
OP
Have you looked at Peugeot e-208 or Vx Corsa-e?
Yes. The corsa is a hateful little car still. The infotainment is OK now it has CarPlay but that’s the highlight of the car. The e-208 is a nice car with the same size battery as the Zoe. The interior quality rivals if not exceeds Ford. Both are nearly £500 on lease or low deposit PCP which is clearly mental.

I would probably go for the shorter lease as the electric car landscape will likely change a lot in 3 years giving you a better selection for similar price when it comes to changing. The Zoe may be a bit slow with only 110hp vs 135hp in the Golf.
I had my old Zoe on a 2 year PCP for that reason (and that it was dirt cheap at £150 a month). I see a longer lease as a benefit in reduced hassle- as long as it’s in warranty which the Zoe would be now they’ve extended the full warranty. The speed/power difference hasn’t occurred to me though and is a good point.

Where are you seeing the golf for 280 on 1+36 out of interest?
Leasing.com

How old is your Leaf? Would you not get another or something bigger like the Nissan Ariya?
The lead is 3 years old. I’d be happy with the new one but it’s £340 a month and not worth the extra imo. The Ariya isn’t out yet and when it does come out will be pitched against the Kona and eNiro and will be £400-£450 a month.

I know some with the Ioniq and they like it. I could take or leave the looks, much like my current leaf. Prices have gone up significantly with them so it’s out of the question at the moment. I would consider it alongside the current Zoe and eGolf as a used purchase in a few years time.

Friend has just received a new Zoe, it's a massive quality improvement compared to our old 2015 Zoe.
That’s good to know. The interior quality is what let it down last time.

I don’t need the range on a daily basis but it’s nice to have. It wouldn’t necessarily swing the decision though as either are a step up from my current 30kwh leaf. The original Zoe didn’t have a heat pump and was woeful at heating so that would put me off if the golf doesn’t have one.
Fair point re extending the lease.
Is the Kia soul ev worth considering? Always found them quite quirky.
No sorry it’s hideous and more expensive.

£9.5k for 24 months isn't in the same ballpark for cost though, espcially when the Zoe is £14k for 4 years. Not that 14k for 4 years is a good deal either, better off buying one of the older 40kWh models and saving a small fortune over 2-4 years.
The only stuff on the market ev wise that would be significantly cheaper to run is an old 24kwh leaf and a slack handful of Zoe i models that don’t need a battery lease still. After this next 3-4 year stint I think the used market for EVs will be more appealing.

What I’d really like is for the strong residuals of a 2-3 year old Tesla that could be PCP’d, kept for the rest of the warranty and then handed back. Doesn’t seem to be happening yet though.

Associate
OP
I’m estimating pricing but it’s widely regarded as an eNiro competitor. We might be lucky and Nissan will support it heavily like they did the gen 1 leaf but can’t see that happening personally.

Back
Top Bottom