What's going to happen to the car market?

Soldato
There are also going to be loads of businesses in trouble for taking the government wages AND still making people work, which is fraud. They will be cracking down hard on it.

Soldato
Well the June 2020 data is in, and it's not looking great.

New car registrations for June 2020 were 145,377 (a huge increase on the last 2 months) however that is 34.9% down YoY with June 2019 having 223,421 car registered.

If the trend continues for the rest of this year, then the total cars registered in 2020 will be ~ 40% than 2019.

Interestingly the most popular cars were very evenly spaced, but the Corsa, and Fiesta registered the most with 4,528, and 4,386 respectively, Tesla still still stayed in the top 10 at number 9 with 2,517 Model 3's registered.
I’m pretty sure with the model 3 that we are staring at a disruptive technology

Man of Honour
Thing is Model 3 registrations are surely just back-orders that were put in long ago but have been held up by supply chain disruption. I wonder at what point that gets cleared and we will start to see cars ordered from April onwards being delivered?

Soldato
Well the June 2020 data is in, and it's not looking great.

New car registrations for June 2020 were 145,377 (a huge increase on the last 2 months) however that is 34.9% down YoY with June 2019 having 223,421 car registered.

Hmm. Doesn’t seem to agree with the anecdotes of busy dealerships and “pent up demand”.

Soldato
Hmm. Doesn’t seem to agree with the anecdotes of busy dealerships and “pent up demand”.
+1
maybe boris will rethink scrappage ... if they are now doing a stamp duty paliative too.
The dealers were/are on a hold your nerve/price mission, analogous to the face off at end of for a few dollars more ?

Do we know if the purchases were company/businees biased
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/105893/new-car-sales-reach-145000-june-dealers-reopen
There were 72,827 private new car registrations in June 2020 - down 19.2 per cent year-on-year - while fleet and business sales were 69,498 (down 45.2 per cent) and 3,052 (down 52.6 per cent) respectively.
ok - thought it was private that would suffer more, and business from higher waged professionals, would hold.

Soldato
There are also going to be loads of businesses in trouble for taking the government wages AND still making people work, which is fraud. They will be cracking down hard on it.

The business my mrs works for being one for them. She's kept a text message from her boss saying, since you are getting furlough pay I may need to ask you to come in and work on some days.
We're almost certain she's being made redundant in September, but wasn't sure if it was a fair ask or not.

Soldato
Went to view a GTR a few days ago priced at £70k. A pcp at 6000 miles a year was giving a GFV of £20k which is insanely low. Salesman said lots of finance companies have dropped the GFV on cars substantially since covid. Anyone seen the same?

In my experience (was around a month ago now), when I phoned round lots of brokers they were offering very low GFVs compared to main dealers. They also couldn't match dealer APRs either.

Soldato
The business my mrs works for being one for them. She's kept a text message from her boss saying, since you are getting furlough pay I may need to ask you to come in and work on some days.
We're almost certain she's being made redundant in September, but wasn't sure if it was a fair ask or not.

Not at all fair. She’s either furloughed and being paid to stay home or she’s working (as normal, reduced hours or WFH). There is no middle ground of “furloughed part-time”.

Soldato
+1
maybe boris will rethink scrappage ... if they are now doing a stamp duty paliative too.
The dealers were/are on a hold your nerve/price mission, analogous to the face off at end of for a few dollars more ?

Do we know if the purchases were company/businees biased
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/105893/new-car-sales-reach-145000-june-dealers-reopen

ok - thought it was private that would suffer more, and business from higher waged professionals, would hold.

Companies were loosing money hand over fist whilst closed, so they won’t be replacing fleet vehicles that have hardly been used in the last few months.

Soldato

That isnt legal. The government was paying people to stay home, not simply covering their wages so the employer gets free man hours.

I was working from home and on call. They had to keep paying me normal wages for that.

Caporegime
Not at all fair. She’s either furloughed and being paid to stay home or she’s working (as normal, reduced hours or WFH). There is no middle ground of “furloughed part-time”.

It is now from 1st July. So long as she is paid for when she goes into work, employers can bring furlough staff back in for odd days or even part time hours during the week. They can;t just per her furlough pay when working though, that is illegal.

Soldato
It is now from 1st July. So long as she is paid for when she goes into work, employers can bring furlough staff back in for odd days or even part time hours during the week. They can;t just per her furlough pay when working though, that is illegal.

Yep, funnily enough there was a BBC news article on this last night which pretty much said the same thing. Employeers can ask staff back during furlough, but they have to be paid for the hours/days they work.

Soldato
Anecdotally from other sources, the used industry appears to be doing well for now, with prices holding up. How long do we think this will last for? Until next month? October? Some other time? I'm slightly surprised how well things are holding up presently, but perhaps we're just seeing activity displaced from the previous quarter.

Thoughts/observations on how things are currently and where they'll go from here?

Soldato
I’m not sure the prices of used cars holding up or dropping really matter in the grand scheme of those. For dealers is about volume of sales and hence cash flow and the real danger is the supply starts dropping because new cars are a mess. We might see used forecourt prices not moving is just a reflection of dealers with limited sales trying to keep their business afloat?

I can imagine a few sales are a bit of YOLO/working from home which has boosted the last 7weeks or so.

Soldato
The new car market is surprising all of us with its strength this month. Not sure how long it will last, but the performance seen in the last week or so of June shows little sign of abating.

Caporegime
I’ve been watching the trade in and second hand prices of my S3 since February, and even selling to the likes of WBAC has seen a steady rise of around 22% (around £4k increase).

It doesn’t appear to be affecting all types of cars in the same way though, some of the cars I’ve been contemplating as a replacement haven’t really changed in value.

What has changed for me though is the fact that I’m not even considering new now (I was on the brink of going electric, but with WFH now a long term reality, the incentive has gone - namely free charging at work), and would prefer to own outright for the foreseeable. This is a complete 180 change from what I’ve been doing the last 9 years.

Soldato
I’ve been watching the trade in and second hand prices of my S3 since February, and even selling to the likes of WBAC has seen a steady rise of around 22% (around £4k increase).

It doesn’t appear to be affecting all types of cars in the same way though, some of the cars I’ve been contemplating as a replacement haven’t really changed in value.

What has changed for me though is the fact that I’m not even considering new now (I was on the brink of going electric, but with WFH now a long term reality, the incentive has gone - namely free charging at work), and would prefer to own outright for the foreseeable. This is a complete 180 change from what I’ve been doing the last 9 years.

I'm along the same lines. Was considering electric at the start of the year but now with WFH being the new norm (possibly longer term for me too), I'm thinking why not just stick with a gas guzzler and enjoy it. I've also been watching the used car prices and was surprised to see I could still get about £20k (selling private) for my (admittedly well kitted) 2015 S3. WBAK offered me about £15.5k!

Back
Top Bottom