Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Hi,

I have turned my Virgin Media Superhub 2 into modem mode and last night it needed to be reset in order for it to start working again. it appears it could not ping the public IP and when I went to the admin panel I saw few critical errors. This issue has been going on for almost a year and every few week it needed a reset or reboot. I believe I have isolated it to be VM router as last night the firewall is still running, but not the VM router.

Attached are some of the screen-print that could help in my post in Virgin media forum

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Virgin-Superhub-2-keep-need-to-restart-or-reset/td-p/4348803

Anyone know what is these errors I am getting?

Thank you

Associate
Is this over ethernet or WiFi? If WiFi, could it be Interference from nearby networks? If that is the case you could try different channels.

If that is over ethernet then you could try rebooting your modem and rooter to see if that helps.

Other than that it might be some for of shaping or throttling from Virgin Media's end due to congestion..

Associate
Is this over ethernet or WiFi? If WiFi, could it be Interference from nearby networks? If that is the case you could try different channels.

If that is over ethernet then you could try rebooting your modem and rooter to see if that helps.

Other than that it might be some for of shaping or throttling from Virgin Media's end due to congestion..

It's over WiFi. It says on Virgins media website to unplug for 30secends and then plug back in and it will find the best channel, I did that but still the same.

Associate
I've just done a test again sat in the same place has last one

Check out my Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6344764528

Once again it has droped, this is what happens all day and then in the night it's perfect.
You will never get an accurate indication of your speed using WiFi as it introduces a lot of variables into the equation.

The WiFi signal is incredibly poor on the Super Hub so the best way to tell would be via a pc connected over ethernet.

You could however download WiFi analyzer which scans all the WiFi networks in range so you can see which of them are on the same channels as yours.

Associate
You will never get an accurate indication of your speed using WiFi as it introduces a lot of variables into the equation.

The WiFi signal is incredibly poor on the Super Hub so the best way to tell would be via a pc connected over ethernet.

You could however download WiFi analyzer which scans all the WiFi networks in range so you can see which of them are on the same channels as yours.

Hub is on Channel 11 and they is 9 other people useing that. They is also channels 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 36, 40 and 44 being used.

Associate
Why don't you get a set of powerline adapters and a budget gigabit router? The powerline plugs will get the signal from the modem downstairs to your bedroom on the 3rd floor. Then from there you connect your own router or better yet, a cheap Super Hub 2ac from eBay (normally around £5), I have 3 in my house acting as access points.

This will give you your very own WiFi signal upstairs as well as gigabit ethernet ports for all your devices that can connect via cable.

Associate
Why don't you get a set of powerline adapters and a budget gigabit router? The powerline plugs will get the signal from the modem downstairs to your bedroom on the 3rd floor. Then from there you connect your own router or better yet, a cheap Super Hub 2ac from eBay (normally around £5), I have 3 in my house acting as access points.

This will give you your very own WiFi signal upstairs as well as gigabit ethernet ports for all your devices that can connect via cable.

Because at night the WiFi is perfect with current set-up, it's just in the day the speed drops so much.

In the day I have to use my mobile data via hotspot if I'm playing PlayStation, but at night I have around 100mb on 3rd floor.

Associate
Because at night the WiFi is perfect with current set-up, it's just in the day the speed drops so much.

In the day I have to use my mobile data via hotspot if I'm playing PlayStation, but at night I have around 100mb on 3rd floor.

If you are house sharing it could be some of your housmates sharing whatever little amount of speed available during the day leaving you with whatever is left until they go to bed, which would explain the faster speeds after 9pm.

Or it's noise interference from surrounding WiFi networks..

Or it's Virgin Media throttling the speed during the day due to congestion.

All of which could be improved with an ethernet connection.

However, if you don't want to try any of the advice mentioned then I suppose you can always make due with just using internet during the night!

Associate
If you are house sharing it could be some of your housmates sharing whatever little amount of speed available during the day leaving you with whatever is left until they go to bed, which would explain the faster speeds after 9pm.

Or it's noise interference from surrounding WiFi networks..

Or it's Virgin Media throttling the speed during the day due to congestion.

All of which could be improved with an ethernet connection.

However, if you don't want to try any of the advice mentioned then I suppose you can always make due with just using internet during the night!

Most of them are out and about in the day, so very limited people who are connected at this time.

I'm not ignoring the advice..... Like I said the internet is perfect at night. I've looked into ethernet plugs before, but they have to be on the same circuit apparently. This is a old house with 3 floors and ten other people here, so I can't see them working has I think they is multiple electric box's here....

Back
Top Bottom