Bad experience with letting agents

Associate
Just wanted to know people's experiences with letting agents particularly in East London. I have some nightmare experiences with one in particular(not sure if you can name estate agents). Would highly advise people to stay away from these dodgy agents as reluctant to give back deposits are the least of the dodgy things these guys do.

Associate
Not in London, but I'm currently struggling to get my deposit back...

Briefly: Lived with a housemate in shared house for 7 years. No issues, regarded as good tenants.
Mid-Feb, section 28 flops through the door out of the blue, we have to be out by April 25th.
Lockdown kicks in, landlord cancels the S28, and re-issues for July 8th.

I had already found somewhere, and would be out by the original date. Housemate offers half-rent, for single occupancy for the three months to July. We didn't expect it, but the agency emailed to say the landlord had agreed.

Happy days...

Cue July 8th, and the checkout. No issues. The place wasn't great, but was due a full refurb anyway (we were told this by the agency on a couple of occassions).

Get an email from agency, asking permission to release the deposit in full to the landlord, to cover the 'arrears'. Turns out this the other half of the rent they agreed to waive... Over £1100 in total.
An email exchange ensued, where I forwarded the emails from THEIR OFFICE confirming the arrangement.. apparently there is an issue.
Seems their representative may have got wires crossed, and the landlord did not actually agree.

So, the agent's problem, you would think? Nope, they're still trying to stitch me, and I am livid...

And this isn't a shady operation, it's a national, well-known agency.

Man of Honour
Always seems to be the way :(

When I moved out of my flat in London they wanted to take over £100 to "professionally deep clean the bathroom" due to it showing "months of neglect" - they'd had someone in to rip out and replace the whole bathroom shortly before we moved out and it was absolutely spotless - I'd barely even used it as I'd made arrangements to be elsewhere while they did the work. When confronted over that they said there had been a "mix up" and came back with a load of other stuff all equally dubious. Got almost all of it back in the end but it was hassle.

EDIT: I gave them a bit of rope to hang themselves with so to speak over the bathroom so it definitely wasn't a mix up - blatantly trying to recoup some of the cost of redoing it IMO.

Associate
OP
For post #2 - such bs these retards can pull off, I mean they got it wrong and now want to keep your deposit- incredible. I mean technically I think your contract overrules this email agreement and if taken further you may actually have to pay but I'm no legal expert. You could argue if they charge for late payment.

Also does anyone know we are allowed to name agency's in this forum?

Associate
OP
Always seems to be the way :(

When I moved out of my flat in London they wanted to take over £100 to "professionally deep clean the bathroom" due to it showing "months of neglect" - they'd had someone in to rip out and replace the whole bathroom shortly before we moved out and it was absolutely spotless - I'd barely even used it as I'd made arrangements to be elsewhere while they did the work. When confronted over that they said there had been a "mix up" and came back with a load of other stuff all equally dubious. Got almost all of it back in the end but it was hassle.

EDIT: I gave them a bit of rope to hang themselves with so to speak over the bathroom so it definitely wasn't a mix up - blatantly trying to recoup some of the cost of redoing it IMO.

That sounds a lot like the agency I'm referring to.

We need more peoplefighting for deposit. The trouble is a lot of people give up and would accept the charge or don't bother about the deposit.

Soldato
Surely you can just state the name of the agent here - it's not like theres a conflict of interest between an estate agent and ocuk.

Soldato
When we moved out of a rented flat 2 months ago I cancelled the direct debit in advance because it would've gone in for payment about 2 days after we'd moved out and I might have forgotten, what with all the faffing about moving into a new place. In the back of my mind I suspected we might still have overpaid a bit, firstly because I'd moved the direct debit date forward the year before when I'd changed employers and the date I got paid changed, and secondly because if I'd have owed THEM any money they'd have been hounding me.

So I emailed them recently to query the final figures and sure enough I'd overpaid by 6 days and was owed £155. This was a full 2 months after moving out! They were clearly just keeping quiet in order to pocket the money, and had not even emailed a final statement.

Scoundrels.

Soldato
Mum had a supposed managed service, the "managed" part seemed to basically be them calling her every time there was an issue, so she could sort it herself.

Then they returned the deposit to the tenant despite the place needing a deep clean and repairs.

Associate
OP
Do they have a headquarters in the West Midlands?
Nope. Sterling DeVere - near Langdon Park station - East London

A quick Google seems to suggest they are completely unregulated also.
Well there is the redress scheme whereby you can complain about extra charges and things - they actually helped me out - my letting agents put TV license fees were covered in my contract and then refused to pay for it. I complained and sure enough they paid me cash for the bill equivalent - only it took so much hassle for like 50 quid but still

Isn’t that what the DPS is for, any issues and you contact them?
Yes but the trouble is they don't send the confirmation to DPS to return the deposit. I assume after a certain while the protection expires and then not sure who the money stays with - can't imagine DPS claiming the money themselves

I really, really look froward to the thread titled "Good experience with letting agents" :(
There are some - i.e. lack of bad experiences. This in todays world would be "good experiences" My current agent isn't too bad and light years ahead of the previous one but then again the previous tenants who I met during moving in advised they charged a lot of deposit for repairs.

Associate
OP
Why isn't your money in a deposit protection scheme? It's not too hard to use the scheme appeal process.
It was. But the issue was their time to respond to emails but then following a lot of hassle I got full deposit back. But my friend still hasn't gotten his back. The trouble his original contract finished and then was on a rolling basis and the agency did not renew the DPS scheme. DPS emailed my friend saying 31 Dec 2019 was the last date but the muppet (my mate) ignored it. He left the agency 10th Dec and they still haven't returned his deposit after many emails and he sort of gave up on it. After I helped him draft an email they came back saying they will charge £100+ for late key return and bills (some high level BS). But returning the deposit was the least of my problems with Sterling Devere and I was aware many people in London were having a bad time.

Also Channel 4 did a feature on spare rooms and guess what - they came across my letting agents! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-bf4uPDmE

Soldato
You don't have to renew the deposit scheme. It will stay in the scheme until released.

The money can only be released to the estate agents (or you) if you agree to it or have gone through the full arbitration process.

Unless you are saying the estate agent somehow got the deposit money without your friend agreeing when it went into a rolling contract?

What you are saying doesn't make sense at the moment.

Associate
OP
So the DPS duration covers the duration of the original contract (say 1 year). After 1 year, the contract just carries on a rolling basis (every three months) and the letting agents inform DPS who also extend cover for 3 months. But I believe they didn't and it expired while the contract carried on. I believe DPD emailed him but my friend either ignored or missed it. But you maybe right - it may still by with DPD and couldn't invoke their process but the response rate from the agency has been so slow so it is so annoying atm (understand COVID but still).

Back
Top Bottom