*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Hi, i'm currently looking at getting a USW-16-POE gen2 for my home network but i want to know if i should get the cloud controller version or not, what do they do and is it necessary to have cloud control for home use?

Soldato
Also, prior to doing set-inform, if you do 'info' what does it show?

So they dropped offline again and running 'info' returns 'Not Adopted (http://192.168.1.71:8080/inform)' thus I guess running the controller on a non-standard port simply doesn't work. I'll be taking the time to do as you suggested and change my docker networking for the container to run on another IP and use the default port.

Soldato
So they dropped offline again and running 'info' returns 'Not Adopted (http://192.168.1.71:8080/inform)' thus I guess running the controller on a non-standard port simply doesn't work. I'll be taking the time to do as you suggested and change my docker networking for the container to run on another IP and use the default port.

Interesting. Logically it should work or why else would Ubnt expose the option to change the port? But this is Ubnt we're talking about, they aren't bothered releasing stuff that's a work in progress.

Soldato
Well it's not UBNT that is letting me change the port anywhere except the command line on the devices I guess. If you were just to use the controller UI to do everything there is no option to override the port as evidenced by being unable to specify it in the 'override hotname/IP' option. I've reconfigured my docker to run on a different IP and standard port and I think probably all will be well now as the devices automatically connected to the controller and were adopted without any manual intervention form me - first time I can ever remember that happening.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Soldato
must admit i never had much joy getting unifi controller or UNMS working well on docker with different ports, both ended up on their own pi (UNMS still on docker but with correct ports).

Soldato
I received my Dream Machine direct from Ubiquiti today. I’m trying to set it up with Sky. I was under the impression that the MER61 option was included on the UDM these days but I’m not able to complete the initial setup where the UDM connects to the internet. Just to confirm that my current setup is a HG612 connected to an Asus AC88u and it connects with no issues.

Have I made a mistake somewhere with the UDM?

Soldato
I received my Dream Machine direct from Ubiquiti today. I’m trying to set it up with Sky. I was under the impression that the MER61 option was included on the UDM these days but I’m not able to complete the initial setup where the UDM connects to the internet. Just to confirm that my current setup is a HG612 connected to an Asus AC88u and it connects with no issues.

Have I made a mistake somewhere with the UDM?

No, you’ve not made a mistake. Connect the UDM to the Asus so it can complete it’s setup routine and then enable option 61 and it’ll work.

Soldato
Just a check that I'm not being daft. I've tried connecting both the WAN and a LAN port of the UDM to the Asus and not had any joy. I can access the startup screen as previously noted but still crash up against a no internet detected error.

Soldato

I had some problems with units dropping too, so I configured the DHCP options (option 43) and not had a prob since.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articl...option-Methods-for-Remote-UniFi-Controllers#7

Soldato
Just a check that I'm not being daft. I've tried connecting both the WAN and a LAN port of the UDM to the Asus and not had any joy. I can access the startup screen as previously noted but still crash up against a no internet detected error.

If you plug the WAN port of the UDM into the LAN port on the ASUS and set the network type to DHCP the ASUS will give the UDM a WAN IP address and it will go through its setup routine. Then you’ll need to go into WAN settings and enable Option 61 then set the WAN network type to PPPoE with your Sky username and password and it should then work without the ASUS router. Does that make some sense?

Soldato
It does. I think I’m about half way there. A internet connection was detected by the UDM and I got past that part of the process. However it won’t run a speedtest, check for new firmware not finalise the setup process. I’ve had to stop fiddling at the moment due to folks needing net access (through the old Asus router) but I’ll try again later.

Last edited:
Soldato
It won't. You'll need to complete the setup with the UDM connected to the LAN port on the Asus. Do that whenever you like and then when you won't get shouted at too much for turning off the internet remove the Asus and connect up the UDM.

If you want to make the switchover even easier, set the UDM to broadcast the same wireless network as the Asus did. Then when the UDM is doing the routing you won't need to setup a new wireless connection on your phones and other devices.

Soldato
I'm all over that but thanks for the advice.

I factory reset the UDM and started from scratch. All good until the Internet Speed Test stage in the setup. It fails to start. Skipped it and I then get a review of my configuration. All good, so I click on Finish at which point it checks for new firmware. This fails. On skipping the firmware update, I see what I think is the final screen (Setting up Network) where it stalls and I'm then provided with an error "Something went wrong... Response status code was unacceptable: 500".

I wonder if this UDM has shipped without the latest firmware that has the MER61 option and the (apparent) lack of Internet access is causing the setup process to tank. EDIT: I can't even check the firmware version which is a nuisance.

Caporegime
MER or not should be completely irrelevant if you are setting the device up according to the advice that people are giving you here. You need to get a router (in this case your Asus) set up and working with the Sky connection, then just plug the UDM WAN port into any LAN port on that router and let it detect the Internet connection as a standard DHCP one.

What's the IP range that your Asus is giving out compared to the UDM? If they're the same that might be why this isn't working.

Soldato
I've not used a UDM, but can you SSH into it (username & password should both be ubnt) and check the firmware from there?

I'd say it's a given that it didn't ship with the latest firmware but lack of DHCP option 61 on the WAN interface should be irrelevant for the initial setup when the UDM is routing through the Asus router. Unless the UDM doesn't like having an RFC1918 address on the WAN interface perhaps?

What settings are you giving the UDM for the internet connection? At this initial stage is should just be DHCP, no PPPoE or whatever.

Soldato
It's good to know that I can disregard the MER61 option at the moment.

I can confirm that I've connected the WAN port of the UDM to the Asus router. I've also tried three different cables to no effect so it's not the cable.

The Asus router is set to 192.168.1.3 as my initial experience showed the UDM was setting itself to 192.168.1.1. I've just run a network scan and the UDM hasn't appeared on it which would explain the issues I'm having but doesn't explain how I can log in to my Ubiquiti account! Not sure as to why no IP address is being assigned. I'm just going to leave everything connected and on for a while and see if something automagically gels.

Back
Top Bottom