Switcher question

Associate
Hello all,

I have a VM 350 connection on a hub 3. The Virgin router is upstairs with the PC,
I need a switcher to hook up to my TV, AV amp, Shield, Blueray player. These are downstairs.
I have some powerline network adaptors and will be plugging the switcher into that.

I would like an 8 port switch, 1gb ports. I guess the most important part is nice fast streaming from my PC to the Shield.

There are so many options out there, managed, unmanaged. What would you suggest?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Cheapest unmanaged gigabit switch you can find.

Hit and miss how the power lines will make it perform though. Might just work out for you ok, but sometimes can drop out.

Associate
OP
Thanks Sparkx. So an unmanaged switch.... ok. I know FA about setting these things up so could be fun. Is it not worth going for say a Nighthawk gaming switcher? Overkill? Are managed switchers no good? Sorry, I am a noob when it comes to networking.

Soldato
No they’re a gimmick, won’t help or add any extra performance.

Get something like Netgear GS308 about £19. No config needed just plug it into power line, then connect up all your other devices into switch and they’ll just start working wired (not switcher :p)

Back
Top Bottom