They should have used Taser on all of them...

Caporegime
For enforcing the law? Or would you prefer people just do what they want, when they want?

In this instance the police were called due to the girls parents being threatening to hospital staff members.

There were non complicit with police requests.

Therefore we should standby and let them thuggishly continue to harass and intimidate hospital workers right?

Caporegime
In this instance the police were called due to the girls parents being threatening to hospital staff members.

Therefore we should standby and let them thuggishly continue to harass and intimidate hospital workers right?

Definitely. In fact those hospital workers need a good hard beating for erm...Something?

Soldato

No, we/the policee should not. But the OP is implying guns should be used, which isn't called for in this context.

Associate
I've no idea who the OP considers to be in the wrong. It's my opinion that the police are in the wrong, certainly in the way they handled it, they have a very strange idea on what compassion is.

However the one thing that is not shown is what happened which required police involvement, did their daughter need taking for x-ray or other scans for example, if the parents were refusing to allow it then they were stopping the hospital staff from doing their job. It could even be COVID related, whilst that is not what their daughter was being treated for, there may be a case identified in that ward and so they need to test patients and move them to another ward. Without that

Mr Abbasi, a respiratory expert who works at a different hospital, stormed out of the meeting but hospital staff then called police, claiming he pushed a senior doctor who attempted to prevent him returning to his daughter’s bedside. Half an hour later, four police officers and two security guards gathered at Zainab’s bedside where the devastated Abbasis and one of their sons were quietly comforting her.

When he claimed of chest pains they should have called for paramedics rather than telling him he could go to A&E, he claimed to have medication so perhaps it would have been best to have allowed him to take the medication and get a paramedic to attend. Further reading suggests it was a heart attack, if he had medication it would have been a known condition however given the panic caused he might not have been in the right mindset to tell the police that.

To conclude, whilst more information would be useful in making a good judgement, the police were wrong to drag the parents away from their dying daughter, and to prevent the father from getting medication which could be life saving, they could have done more to calm the situation, they started off well but it didn't help them crowding around the parents with 4 police officers and 2 security guards, it might have been better to have a couple approach and talk to the parents whilst the other 4 police/security wait in the background. The parents could have been more reasonable though and had a more reasonable conversation and also perhaps the hospital staff were wrong also. 30 minutes prior to that they were told the life support was to be switched off, pushing a doctor cannot be tolerated and hospitals do have a panic number to dial for emergency paramedics, heart conditions and security. The police could have asked about the doctor being pushed and the parents might have said they were sorry for that but it was in the heat of the moment as they didn't want their daughter to die.

Associate
Probably could have just tasered them, probably less intentional screaming from the guy clearly trying to upset everyone in the hospital before remembering his line about needing his pills moments later.
Posted when I was writing my essay. It did seem a bit fake I must admit, him needing to take tablets just before he was being dragged away, almost like a last ditch attempt to get them to back off.

Caporegime
I've no idea who the OP considers to be in the wrong. It's my opinion that the police are in the wrong, certainly in the way they handled it, they have a very strange idea on what compassion is.

However the one thing that is not shown is what happened which required police involvement, did their daughter need taking for x-ray or other scans for example, if the parents were refusing to allow it then they were stopping the hospital staff from doing their job. It could even be COVID related, whilst that is not what their daughter was being treated for, there may be a case identified in that ward and so they need to test patients and move them to another ward. Without that

When he claimed of chest pains they should have called for paramedics rather than telling him he could go to A&E, he claimed to have medication so perhaps it would have been best to have allowed him to take the medication and get a paramedic to attend. Further reading suggests it was a heart attack, if he had medication it would have been a known condition however given the panic caused he might not have been in the right mindset to tell the police that.

To conclude, whilst more information would be useful in making a good judgement, the police were wrong to drag the parents away from their dying daughter, and to prevent the father from getting medication which could be life saving, they could have done more to calm the situation, they started off well but it didn't help them crowding around the parents with 4 police officers and 2 security guards, it might have been better to have a couple approach and talk to the parents whilst the other 4 police/security wait in the background. The parents could have been more reasonable though and had a more reasonable conversation and also perhaps the hospital staff were wrong also. 30 minutes prior to that they were told the life support was to be switched off, pushing a doctor cannot be tolerated and hospitals do have a panic number to dial for emergency paramedics, heart conditions and security. The police could have asked about the doctor being pushed and the parents might have said they were sorry for that but it was in the heat of the moment as they didn't want their daughter to die.

Think you skim read it. Their child wasn't due to die imminently its just that the parents had been told that the hospital wasn't going to keep her on support which she had been for some 2 years by the sound of it.

The parents objected to it, and the hospital would have to apply to make that change not just do it off the cuff..

The parents were clearly against the hospital acting in this way. Which is why the hospital had told them they would be limiting their visiting times.

Associate
Think you skim read it. Their child wasn't due to die imminently its just that the parents had been told that the hospital wasn't going to keep her on support which she had been for some 2 years by the sound of it.

The parents objected to it, and the hospital would have to apply to make that change not just do it off the cuff..

The parents were clearly against the hospital acting in this way. Which is why the hospital had told them they would be limiting their visiting times.
I understood that bit, some of it I did skim read, it was obviously an ongoing condition and that she obviously was not going to get better. Hospitals do have to have a cut off point, they cannot have people there for years on life support. It doesn't say how they were told that she would be switched off though, he might even have been aggressive or argumentative in previous visits.

Caporegime
It all depends what you want the narrative to be:

Aggressive bullying parents push hospital staff to limit requiring police intervention

Or

Police forcibly remove poor parents

Depends if you are allowed to publish anti Asian or anti police stories doesnt it.

Associate
I agree. There is a lot of creative writing in there to make the police look bad and I think there is a lot not included, certainly the way the parents kicked off would have been distressing for other staff and patients, as would the way the police kicked off.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
It all depends what you want the narrative to be:

Aggressive bullying parents push hospital staff to limit requiring police intervention

Or

Police forcibly remove poor parents

Depends if you are allowed to publish anti Asian or anti police stories doesnt it.

No, those are the narratives you want and it's isn't exactly black and white.

Parents react badly to being told the hospital is going to 'pull the plug' on their daughter (understandable) and hospital staff reach the end of their tether in trying to get them to understand the situation. Police are called and things get out of control.

People have breakdowns, and coming to terms/accepting your little daughter is going to die isn't exactly great.

Police were OTT, and thankfully don't usually carry guns.

Caporegime
No, those are the narratives you want and it's isn't exactly black and white.

Parents react badly to being told the hospital is going to 'pull the plug' on their daughter (understandable) and hospital staff reach the end of their tether in trying to get them to understand the situation. Police are called and things get out of control.

People have breakdowns, and coming to terms/accepting your little daughter is going to die isn't exactly great.

Police were OTT, and thankfully don't usually carry guns.

Things were out of control before the police were called. Assaulting medical staff is completely inexcusable.

Caporegime
Lot of emotion and stress that i guess is amplified 100x by the police coming in heavy handed.

Oh well.

"police brutality i guess? #BLM etc?"

I bet everyone wishes they handled themselves better with dignity that day.

Associate
i will remind people of a similar thing where the NHS didnt want to treate a child and also refused to let the parents move the girl to Italy where there was some hope - the parents won, took her to italy and last i saw on news the child was awake.. if they gave in - she would have died unnecessarily because NHS couldnt be bothered to do their job or save money.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49006286

They also did the same to my grand mother until we kick a fuss.. she lived another whole year wheras they were admanant she was going to die soon..

Caporegime
i will remind people of a similar thing where the NHS didnt want to treate a child and also refused to let the parents move the girl to Italy where there was some hope - the parents won, took her to italy and last i saw on news the child was awake.. if they gave in - she would have died unnecessarily because NHS couldnt be bothered to do their job or save money.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49006286

They also did the same to my grand mother until we kick a fuss.. she lived another whole year wheras they were admanant she was going to die soon..

The girl's in a vegetative state. She has no quality of life and as far as I'm aware no higher brain function. In that case awake is a relative term. Unfortunately the comparison is that the lights are on but nobody is home.
She also still cannot survive without a ventilator.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Things were out of control before the police were called. Assaulting medical staff is completely inexcusable.

Of course, I completely agree. But there is a mitigating factor here, one that would be devastating for most people. I'm sure there are a few here who would no doubt act all stiff upper lip when told that the doctors weren't going to do anything further and let their daughter die, but in that emotional state I'm not sure how others would be.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
The girl's in a vegetative state. She has no quality of life and as far as I'm aware no higher brain function. In that case awake is a relative term. Unfortunately the comparison is that the lights are on but nobody is home.
She also still cannot survive without a ventilator.

Even though you know it's going to happen at some point doesn't make it any easier to accept that you're going to lose your daughter.

Caporegime
Lot of emotion and stress that i guess is amplified 100x by the police coming in heavy handed.

Oh well.

"police brutality i guess? #BLM etc?"

I bet everyone wishes they handled themselves better with dignity that day.

Coming in heavy handed? They stqrted out politely asking for a chat outside. They repeated this many times.

Its not like they ran in there with batons out is it?

Back
Top Bottom