**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Thanks!

Just to be clear I’m not trying to say what you are seeing is correct behaviour, just that it doesn’t necessarily point to a fundamentally broken flight model.

They aren’t using any lookup tables, instead basing everything including stall behaviour by modelling I believe a few thousand points on the aircraft. Of course the problem is that a real aircraft has near infinite “points” so it is only every going to be an approximation and will need a certain fudging to get it to behave exactly as the real aircraft does. Turbulent flow is also incredibly difficult to model... a look up table makes it easy to approximate such behaviour, but doesn’t give as dynamic a flight model in theory. Due to their approach though it will likely need more tweaking, especially in more edge case scenarios... I expect it to continue to improve as they get more feedback.

Within normal flight (and indeed with normal laminar flow over the surfaces) I have personally found the flight model quite enjoyable for the most part, with some of the aforementioned quirks.

Last edited:
Associate
Well i have just ordered my first ever flight stick the Thrustmaster T flight hotas x and just pro ordered the game of steam :D

While i am waiting for the game to be released what other flight sims can i try ?
Looked a little into controllers. Did you consider a yoke over a HOTAS / joystick?
As I have neither I'm wondering what would be more suitable.

Soldato
I think a HOTAS is a little more versatile... I can’t imagine playing IL2, DCS, elite dangerous or star citizen with a yoke for example

On a personal note I’ve always preferred stick but that’s probably because my first ever aircraft I put real amounts of time on was a DA20.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys

Need a bit of advice. My PC is out of date (Core i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 32gb DDR3 Ram, GTX 980 with a G-Sync monitor @ 1920 x 1080). I'm really keen to pick up Flight Sim 2020 (absolutely love Flight Sim X) but I'm unsure if I can actually run it. Microsoft is stating that a Core i5-4460 is the minimum spec with regards to processors, therefore am I right in thinking that it will refuse to load the game with my overclocked i5 2500k?

Apologies in advance if its a stupid question but I've never had this issue with any game and I really cant afford a PC upgrade right now.......

Cheers

Soldato
I’m thinking you may struggle a little with that spec but tbh you have nothing to lose from trying when it hits gamepass.... Find one of those deals that gives you access for like a quid, turn down all the settings to the bottom and see how it goes! I doubt they’ll prevent it from booting up, it just might be a slideshow.

If it just doesn’t work and a new computer isn’t viable at the moment, perhaps you might be a good candidate for Cloud gaming (x-cloud will launch before the end of the year I believe and will almost certainly have this game at some point)... a little latency isn’t going to significantly detract from the experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys

Need a bit of advice. My PC is out of date (Core i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 32gb DDR3 Ram, GTX 980 with a G-Sync monitor @ 1920 x 1080). I'm really keen to pick up Flight Sim 2020 (absolutely love Flight Sim X) but I'm unsure if I can actually run it. Microsoft is stating that a Core i5-4460 is the minimum spec with regards to processors, therefore am I right in thinking that it will refuse to load the game with my overclocked i5 2500k?

Apologies in advance if its a stupid question but I've never had this issue with any game and I really cant afford a PC upgrade right now.......

Cheers

I would imagine it would run, but how well is anyone's guess. Why not sign up to game pass on release. You can try it for £1

Soldato
2500K is about equivalent performance to the requirement, but keep in mind it's the minimum. Only reason I can see for it requiring Haswell is use of AVX2 instructions ... but dunno if that's the case.

Get a Game Pass trial and see?

Associate
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the replies :0)

Will definitely consider Gamepass. Must admit I hadn't even heard of it until recently, only really use Steam and occasionally Uplay & Origin.

I had been looking at upgrading my PC for a while now & was very close to pushing the button in March, then Covid-19 kicked off.................

Soldato
Really hope they get photogrammetry for London in future world updates, it really does make a big difference in the cities that have it.

I was surprised when I first saw the London eye was underwater, it’s not like we’re talking some small city here - London is reasonably significant on the world stage!

What custom stuff is already there is good though, for example you see with the shard they have some neat little effect going on that gives you an impression of rooms behind the glass. Pretty cool and gives the building a nice depth to it.

Associate
HMS Belfast has sunk too as well as Westminster Bridge, London has never been shown properly in earlier versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator for some reason
On another video I have seen the river raises up at the banks so there is some treaking to do with the water level

Soldato
I don't know how the algorithms work to create the 3d effects on terrain but I've seen one video where someone flew under tower bridge and another where they were unable to as it was just an invisible wall.

Soldato
I can't wait for this.

I've stopped watching the YT vids that are being pumped out now though, as it's just spoiling it for me. I want to experience seeing these places for the first time, not watch all the places I want to fly over spoilt in a video!

Associate
Personally, I am looking forward to seeing everyones GPU's break into a sweat and everyone clamour to buy next gen graphics cards...

Associate
Fixed!!! contacted zendesk and clean installation after removing old files manage to resolve all issues I had. Never realized seeing Cessna tail being dragged on tarmac at 35kts. would be so rewarding :) only problem now is rudder and lift on turning but I can live with that.

Soldato
I can't wait for this.

I've stopped watching the YT vids that are being pumped out now though, as it's just spoiling it for me. I want to experience seeing these places for the first time, not watch all the places I want to fly over spoilt in a video!

Yeah, same here. Watched a couple of vids but want to discover the rest for myself. Roll on the 18th.

Back
Top Bottom