So, you want to keep a pet tarantula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Master Skooter
Leon, a little bit off topic.......but what's the spec of ur digicam mate?

I'm having a mare getting a decent pic of my Mantid.
Fuji FinePix A204, basically the newer version of the 2600 Zoom.

Here's how I get my macro shots:

1) Set camera to auto-everything, 2MP, Macro

2) Get about 4 inches from the spider

3) Shine a bright, direct light (like a small torch) onto the spider - without this it's too dark to autofocus.

4) It should make a small beep when you half depress the shutter button if it's focused.

5) Sorted

Taking shots through glass is a bit trickier as you generally have to angle the camera so the flash bounces off the glass at an angle.

Soldato
Originally posted by Pinhead
would someone mind telling how the hell you clean vermiculite substrate properly?
It goes 'clingy' and nasty if it gets wet
cheers

Why are you cleaning it? It doesn't need cleaning when you first get it as it's already sterile. Just put it straight in the tank. Doesn't need cleaning whilst the T is in the tank either. Just pick up the dead crickets and change the vermiculite every few months.

Man of Honour
OP
would someone mind telling how the hell you clean vermiculite substrate properly?
It goes 'clingy' and nasty if it gets wet
cheers
Pour vermiculite into tank, spray lightly with water to prevent dust, and that's about it.
Vermiculite is almost completely sterile and it's inorganic too.
I used to change it in my Chile Rose tank every 6 months or so.

Man of Honour
OP
Just to let those of you following the thread, Idi has gained full control of his "regenerated" limb after a few hours rest.
Within a couple of moults it will be indistinguishable from the others - for now it still looks a little withered.

As he and Mugabe have been unusually active today, I thought I'd take the opportunity to please all the picture fans

Idi18

Idi19

As you can see, his abdomen has picked up rich chocolate brown markings, and his carapace starburst is almost olive green in colour. Unlike Mugabe, his feet pads are more of a pale blue than green.

As for size, he hasn't grown a great deal in this moult - infact, I'd say Miguel was bigger than Idi now! Mugabe is far larger and lankier than either of them, as shown in these pics:

Mugabe23

Really chuffed with this shot - it shows his eyes in full detail, as well as being an all round good shot of the spider. You really need to see it full-size.

Mugabe24

Underside is equally impressive. He's a lanky beast, and I'd not want to get on the business end of those fangs.

Mugabe25

Just for scale. (Note scaredy-cat pane of glass between spider and hand)
That's as close as I'll ever get to handling this spitting ball of orange hellfire.

Soldato
Its nice to see Idi has started making use of his leg, maybe now he wont feel the need to chew it off:eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Just read from start to finish and WOW :D What an excelent thread.

I had a Chile Rose a few years ago (Female) from the local pet shop (no idea on age but she was not small) and within a few weeks of having her she created this large ball like web thing, well me being curious had to touch it........Bad Move.

The misterious ball of web turned out to contain lots and lots and lots of eggs, she did not take kindly to me touching it and ransacked the tank and ripped open the sack and spread the contents (eggs) around the tank, obviously they all died, it was a BIG mistake for me to touch the sack, a real shame, i was gutted that i had meddled.

I did not think that she would have been having babies me not long getting it from the pet shop but i was mistaken, very odd, unless she was captured in the wild without my knowlege ? or bread in the pet shop ?

Anyway, as others have said keep the pictures coming as it is really interesting.

Bobcat

Soldato
Originally posted by Bobcat

I had a Chile Rose a few years ago (Female) from the local pet shop (no idea on age but she was not small) and within a few weeks of having her she created this large ball like web thing, well me being curious had to touch it........Bad Move.

The misterious ball of web turned out to contain lots and lots and lots of eggs, she did not take kindly to me touching it and ransacked the tank and ripped open the sack and spread the contents (eggs) around the tank, obviously they all died, it was a BIG mistake for me to touch the sack, a real shame, i was gutted that i had meddled.

I did not think that she would have been having babies me not long getting it from the pet shop but i was mistaken, very odd, unless she was captured in the wild without my knowlege ? or bread in the pet shop ?

Anyway, as others have said keep the pictures coming as it is really interesting.

Bobcat

I'd say you were most probably sold a gravid wild caught female. The tarantula trade is only just really getting off the ground, and initially, the only tarantulas you could buy were wild caught. Now, people have sucessfully bred many species, so it's less common to get a wild caught tarantula. However, a lot of adults sold are still wild caught :( I'm guessing this is because it's cheaper and easier for the petshop owner to buy a fully grown one which someone has nabbed from the wild, rather than raise one from a spiderling for 2-5 years.

Fortunately, many of the common tarantulas including Chille Roses are now protected under the CITIES act. This prohibits wild collections, and although it still happens, more and more are being bred in captivity. I would never buya wild caught tarantula, and this is one of the reasons I buy my T's as spiderlings from known breeder. Only adults are collected in the wild, and I'd guess that petshops are more likely to sell you a wild caught animal, than a proper breeder.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Bobcat

Bobcat

You do not want to disturb a female with an eggsac - they defend them to the death, and will often destroy the eggs if disturbed or stressed out.

Out of interest, did the spider come from a shop in Pontardawe?
The owner was attempting to breed a few of his Chilean rose tarantulas, but assumed the attempts had failed when the spiders produced no eggs. HE then sold the tarantulas - they may well have been gravid!

On the other hand, as Kate points out, the spider may have been imported in a gravid state (this is how many breeding projects actually get started)

Associate
I got the tarantula from a shop in Swansea City Center, forget the road name now (to early in morning) but the road that continues after the kingsway, down by Sun Aliance Building, they sell Tropical Fish aswell.

I was none of the wiser at the time of buying her, think it must have been 6/7 years ago, but like you say there is a strong chance that she was caught in the wild, which is sad, if i had known at the time i would not have bought her myself either.

When she made the web sack i did not know what it was and the books that i had bought at the time did not contain anything to do with the egg sack's, so being curious i touched it, you are right Lopéz she did go Mad and distroy the sack, i was gutted when it became aparent what was inside (after she had ripped it open):mad:

I ended up giving her away to a good friend that also had a Male Chilean rose so was used to the breed and as far as i know she is still alive but the male they also had has died.

Reading this thread it has got me thinking of geting another one, but i shall resist for the moment as the other half was never to keen previously :confused:

Soldato
Just thought I'd mention to anyone thinking of getting a tarantula, there's a great offer on at the moment over at Brum tarantulas.

Curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum) spiderlings
£1 each
Miguel17

Mexican red rump (Brachypelma vagans) spiderlings
£1.50 each
Bvagans.jpg

That's VERY cheap, especially for the B. vagans, which are highly desirable tarantulas. Both very docile and perfect for beginners too.

Go to http://brumtarantulas.users.btopenworld.com/main.htm for a closer look

Associate
Hey,
not strictly regarding T's i know, but i thought a few pl who read this thread may be able to help me out.

Im getting my leopard gecko at the end of next month (really cant wait, but need pay cheque) and after reading about 20 caresheets, i think im ready.

The only thing that gets me is the heat mats. This may make me look completely stupid, but i have to ask. Do they all come with a some sort ofheatswitch attatched to them so that they automatically switch on and off (like my tropical fish tank), or is that something i will have to buy seperately?

Appreciate any help,
P.

Transmission breaker
Don
Hey,
not strictly regarding T's i know, but i thought a few pl who read this thread may be able to help me out.

Im getting my leopard gecko at the end of next month (really cant wait, but need pay cheque) and after reading about 20 caresheets, i think im ready.

The only thing that gets me is the heat mats. This may make me look completely stupid, but i have to ask. Do they all come with a some sort ofheatswitch attatched to them so that they automatically switch on and off (like my tropical fish tank), or is that something i will have to buy seperately?

Appreciate any help,
P.

The heatmat just puts out a constant amout of heat. Its there to provide a hot area, and a cold area. The hot area is one end of the tank (where the mat is situated), the cold the other end. Its so the animal can be warm or cooler if they want :) (im a n00b, but thats my understanding)

Associate
yeah, i get the whole one end of a tank thing, but different care sheets for different lizards say this lizards needs this at the hot end, and this lizard needs this at the hot end. Surely there is some sort of thermostat that you can set?

Associate
I am gonna have to stop reading this thread as it's making me want to get one (have always liked spiders) :cool:

The kids would like it, but I reckon the GF would do her nut :rolleyes: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom