Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Soldato
The new Jimny seems closer to a remake of the old defender tbh.

I totally agree, and hence both were terrible above 60mph.

Can’t buy it in the UK anyway, for the same reason the defender original stopped being sold - emissions. You can the new Defender though - it’s clean, green and mean, oh and “generic”.

I guess quoting something with a 1,300 kg towing rating compared to something rated at 3500kg which is only a cap based its GVM and hence capable of far more - meeting Colorado River Davis Dam test gives is a clue to how out the Masher factor is on that statement.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's what some in the press have been saying too.

They built it as a workhorse and not a posing car. It's also compact and much cheaper. There is no contest which one will be more reliable too :p

But the Jimny is tiny, isnt it? With little engines etc. Not a big clunking off roader made of sheets of pig iron with a antiquated diesel engine, or a big petrol one.

Associate
You can the new Defender though - it’s clean, green and mean, oh and “generic”..

My boss borrowed a new defender from a dealership for a test drive and found a serious design flaw - you can't open the boot door very far when you have a horse box attached to the towbar due to the design of the way the door opens (sideways, not upwards). Looking at the photos he took, the door will foul on lots of stuff being towed (it certainly would on the fuel box for my caterham trailer). Sounds niche, but given the customer base for defencders thats a pretty big miss.

Soldato
My boss borrowed a new defender from a dealership for a test drive and found a serious design flaw - you can't open the boot door very far when you have a horse box attached to the towbar due to the design of the way the door opens (sideways, not upwards). Looking at the photos he took, the door will foul on lots of stuff being towed (it certainly would on the fuel box for my caterham trailer). Sounds niche, but given the customer base for defencders thats a pretty big miss.
Is it a much bigger door than the old defender then? This was the case on the old one too with the door hitting the latch mechanism on the trailer I've dealt with.

Soldato

it’s a good point. Of course primary reason is for the spare wheel mounting and the pure weight won’t work, also doesn’t work well for bikes on tow balls etc. Our MINI With OEM bike rack will tip to allow the boot to open, also you miss the shelter feature when raining. It’s not so much of a flaw, just a conscious decision, a boot mounted spare wheel would have significantly compromised the departure angle.

Back
Top Bottom