I did it again... Bought a baby blade to rebuild...

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Got these back, and they look great! No more leaks I am told :D

CBR400rr248.jpg

Dropped them back into here, started it up, and it ran on all 4, and seemed great!

CBR400rr249.jpg

Now, the left fork sprung a leak in the shed randomly, and I decided to redo the fork seals whilst it was in bits ago, so off came all the fairings, and I got myself a head stock stand:

CBR400rr250.jpg

Lets rip that front end apart, and get the forks off:

CBR400rr251.jpg

Yeah, made a little mess, but we got the job done!

The offending seal:
CBR400rr252.jpg

Ripped the guts out of it:

CBR400rr253.jpg

Not happy with the finish of this, so decided to have a go at re-painting them.

Ground down all the corrosion, and lifted parts:

CBR400rr254.jpg

Started off going for black:

CBR400rr255.jpg

CBR400rr256.jpg

I also managed to break one of the mud guard mounts when I was removing it, and decided to try some 3d printed parts :D

CBR400rr257.jpg

Printer in action:
CBR400rr258.jpg

Some of the test prints, just to get the settings/sizes dialled in:

CBR400rr260.jpg

Some more work to do here, but a good start :)

Now onto the other leg:

CBR400rr261.jpg

The top cap was a little chewed on this side, looks like someone was a little hamfisted with this one before:

CBR400rr262.jpg

Seal retaining ring was a little rusty:

CBR400rr263.jpg

Mudguard holder retaining ring, not quite as bad:

CBR400rr264.jpg

I had to use a blowtorch to get this seal out, it was REALLY wedged in there, and had to be quite violent about it! So it was looking a little messy in here:

CBR400rr265.jpg

All the varying parts were cleaned up, and checked:

CBR400rr267.jpg

You can see from the old seal here how well wedged in it was:

CBR400rr268.jpg

This really was not ok, so needed to be tidied up:

CBR400rr269.jpg

Quick dunk in the ultrasonic cleaner:

CBR400rr270.jpg

Little bit of light sanding, and polishing later:

CBR400rr271.jpg

Changed my mind, and decided to go to white.....

CBR400rr272.jpg

Best start getting this back together on leg 2:

CBR400rr273.jpg

More testing on 3d printer parts, pretty much spot on:

CBR400rr274.jpg

Back on the bike, managed to scratch up the paint on one leg, so i hid it in the photo :D Will sort it out properly another time!

CBR400rr275.jpg

I then found the carbs were leaking! I left them sat at a funny angle with fuel in there for a couple of weeks, so looks like a float got stuck. Tried to tap/whack them a a bit to release it, but figured out it was carb 2, and whipped it open to have a look, and it had some ethanol sludge build up:

CBR400rr276.jpg

So I took the bowls off all the carbs, cleaned them with carb cleaner, and have learnt my lesson! DO not leave modern fuel in old carbs for any length of time. Apparently you can get an ethanol killer additive, so will have to look into that!

Throwing it all back together. I did replace the front brake pads on both sides, then installed the new springs and clips (which were totally absent!) that I bought ages ago too:

CBR400rr277.jpg

Post shakedown:

CBR400rr278.jpg

CBR400rr279.jpg

The clutch level was missing its spring, and worked itself a little loose, but managed to sort that out, and also the tank was holding a STRONG negative pressure, which I released by opening up the fuel cap. Looks like there is a blocked breather somewhere I need to clean out, but otherwise, I was grinning from ear to ear! need to work the idle down a little bit, but I think that down to the throttle cable adjustment being slightly too tight, as the idle adjust screw is not touching it.

Nothing major, but I am happier with the white forks look in general!

Soldato
I think the white looks really good on the forks, ties in with the plastics well and stops them looking a bit out of place (which they did in silver/grey). I think black would have worked but white does certainly work better imo.

Bike has come along nicely, I am envious of garage/shed space as I have none. :(

Soldato
Really enjoyed flicking through this. I'm not brave nor technical enough to even think about taking a challenge like this on!

So... what is the next project?

That fairing looks nice. Which place did you use?

A year late but on the off chance it's something of interest still, i used a site called Auctmarts to get replacement fairings for my R6. Fit perfectly and they're Injection moulded which was better than the alternative for one reason or another but I can't remember.

For aftermarket Chinese ones, they're actually really good

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
So... what is the next project?

A year late but on the off chance it's something of interest still, i used a site called Auctmarts to get replacement fairings for my R6. Fit perfectly and they're Injection moulded which was better than the alternative for one reason or another but I can't remember.

For aftermarket Chinese ones, they're actually really good

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I wil check out the site, as more projects happen!

The CBR600F2 is the current project, almost done!

I have a few little updates to add once I am back home from hols, but essentially just working to improve reliability and robustness.

The fuel pump situation was very annoying, blew the old one, also killed a replacement OEM type, and finally settled on a non standard fuel pump from a reputable manufacturer.

I did try running it without a pump, but at anything below 3/4 of a tank, fuel starvation/hesitations at higher revs/motorway riding was a problem, as well as causing some annoying throttle response issues when cornering.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Little bit of an update on this one :D
Wanted to clean up the fuel filler, cleaned it up, masked it, did a little bit of carefull spraying:

CBR400rr283.jpg

CBR400rr284.jpg

CBR400rr285.jpg

CBR400rr286.jpg

Quick and easy, and has lasted great, and is still looking good today!

Then I blew the stator:
CBR400rr287.jpg

CBR400rr288.jpg

CBR400rr289.jpg

Swapped it out from my spare motor, no issues since then!

Also managed to get my hands on the sidestand rubber:

CBR400rr290.jpg

CBR400rr291.jpg

Then I re-tapped the holes on the frame that hold the cowling bracket:
CBR400rr292.jpg

CBR400rr293.jpg

Next I sanded back the horn:

CBR400rr294.jpg

Painted, cooked in the halogen oven
CBR400rr295.jpg

Back in place - New connectors:
CBR400rr296.jpg

As I mentioned before, I swapped out the dodgy fuel pump to a pattern part:
CBR400rr297.jpg

Stuck it in
CBR400rr298.jpg

It worked for a bit:
CBR400rr300.jpg

But it also died.... So I ran without a pump, and that was not working for me, fuel starvation, and tank had to be well over half to run well.
So I bought a Facet motorsport low pressure pump, and retro-fitted it
CBR400rr303.jpg

CBR400rr304.jpg

It totally changed the bike.. It runs so much more smoothly, starts better, smells less fuelly, and has been working great since!

Next, I swapped out the light brackets with new, as they were falling to bits:
CBR400rr307.jpg

Swapped out the dash bulbs to some nicer LEDs
CBR400rr308.jpg

Swapped out the discs to some EBC, and repainted the calipers. The chinese specials developed a horrible grabby patch, and they felt horrible braking at low speeds, giving a pulsing effect. They are perfectly true, but apparently they can get like this, so just got rid:
CBR400rr312.jpg

Also, the new headlights look ACE
CBR400rr310.jpg

I then designed and printed out some new foam holders for the dash:
CBR400rr311.jpg

Since then I have 3d printed a new fuse box holder, as it was annoying me and flapping about - Forgot to take pics also!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
The bike failed the MOT the other day on some very random little things, it seems the MOT garage near my new place has some stricter interpretation of the rules :D

They said that on full lock, the brake lever was being touched by the clocks. It just brushed it, at full left lock, which has never actually posed any problems when riding, but rules are rules!
They also wanted me to put a full sized rear plate on, and wrongly claimed a front wheel axle was missing a lock pin (which this bike never had from the factory!) but they agreed this was not a problem after I showed them the haynes and the official parts list for the bike.

Lastly, they did not like the light controls rotating slightly when pushed hard.

Anyway! Decided to address these with a new front brake lever and master cylinder, as I was never really happy with the Chinese one anyway. I also ordered a domino throttle to replace the Chinese one as the original cables are getting a little worn and damaged where they flex, so will also get the cable set to swap them out soon too.

So, new brake lever fitted:
CBR400rr313.jpg

I did have to twist the reservoir bracket to get it to sit nicely and not whack the fairings when being turned:
CBR400rr314.jpg

Had to get the Honda reservoir cover back in place, clearly!

I also got fed up of trying little motorcycle specific digital clocks that broke, or lost time, so grabbed a period casio and 3d printed a little mount for the bars :D
CBR400rr315.jpg

I also knocked up a little cable guide (using an old pen) for the original top cable to help keep it from bending too much, just for the MOT for now. I am waiting for the new cable set to allow me to change out the thottle completely as said above :)
CBR400rr316.jpg

I also sorted out the rotating lighting controls, by adding a little duct tape around the bars in the right place to make them clamp in a little more solidly.

I bled the front brake, then had a little ride around the block, all ok, and should be good to go for the MOT :)

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Just a little update.... I MAY have slightly binned this earlier in the summer...

Nothing major, low speed, lowside. Just got a bent up nose/busted clocks/knackered the fairings. It still runs and rides, and just needs a little bit of work to put it straight!

However, I have decided to have a little upgrade in the process. I was never happy with the clocks, and stock dash-setup. So I have a little plan to go to a set of more modern clocks, and clean up the wiring and look/function of the cockpit. I am also going to whack in an updated throttle and a few other little bits and bobs as I go!

I am about to pull it all apart and will upload some pics of the progress as I go :)

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
You silly billy. Looks like you drove into something?
Had a low speed low-side, and the nose slid into a stationary Ford Ranger's wheel. Popped the tyre on the Ranger, and not much else damaged.
Amazingly, no damage to the frame, or the forks, it just literally slide along and nosed into the tyre at about 5mph. I actually rode it home (after having to strip some wires with my teeth and winding them together) about 3 miles. I think the tyre did a great job of absorbing the impact.

I was actually just coming home from the MOT.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a low speed low-side, and the nose slid into a stationary Ford Ranger's wheel. Popped the tyre on the Ranger, and not much else damaged.
Amazingly, no damage to the frame, or the forks, it just literally slide along and nosed into the tyre at about 5mph. I actually rode it home (after having to strip some wires with my teeth and winding them together) about 3 miles. I think the tyre did a great job of absorbing the impact.

I was actually just coming home from the MOT.
What do you think caused it?

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
What do you think caused it?
Rider error :D
I was just pootling along coming back from the MOT, and it's a tight little couple of bends in a S shape, left then right, and just as I rounded the left, I saw a big Ford Ranger coming towards me and must have tapped the front brake, and that was enough to low side.
He did nothing wrong, it was just a big vehicle taking up a lot of road and I over-reacted.

Last edited:
Associate
Rider error :D
I was just pootling along coming back from the MOT, and it's a tight little couple of bends in a S shape, left then right, and just as I rounded the left, I saw a big Ford Ranger coming towards me and must have tapped the front brake, and that was enough to low side.
He did nothing wrong, it was just a big vehicle taking up a lot of road and I over-reacted.
Ack, unlucky :(. It is difficult to rewire those kinds of reflexes. Glad no injuries!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Lets get this thing cleaned up!!

This is what took most of the impact, the front support for the fairings/lights/clocks.

CBR400rr318.jpg

With a bit of fiddling we are back to this:

CBR400rr319.jpg

You can see my little bodges to get the wires reconnected to get me home, just to the left of the forks in the above pic. It would seem that quite a lot of the wiring was knocked about, but mostly still doing it's job. I suspect I will re-pin and replace the connectors with a lot of them to be sure they work reliably going forwards.

I grabbed a little digital dashboard from China. It's one of the few I could find with a rev counter that went up to 15k, and a physical speedo cable, that had the same ratio (I hope!) as the original.
CBR400rr320.jpg

Mocked up roughly, looks like I need to move that brake fluid reservoir. Not a major issue :)
CBR400rr321.jpg

Some of the stripped off parts :)
CBR400rr322.jpg

Sticking in the new light bracket
CBR400rr324.jpg

More mocking up
CBR400rr325.jpg

CBR400rr326.jpg

Checking out that the wiring is as per the "documentation" provided!!

CBR400rr327.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom