Engine light advice please

Soldato
Good afternoon.

The amber engine light has just lit up on my dashboard and I can't seem to get rid of it.

It's driving perfectly fine - no loss of power, no untowardly sounds. All levels are fine except the coolant which was slightly below minimum and I've since topped up. Other than that the car seems fine.

Anyone got any idea of what it might be? I have commitments coming up and I need the car for some fairly long journeys. No garage can take it in time but the last thing I want to do is damage the car by driving it when I shouldn't.

It's a ford focus 65 plate, 30k miles, last services about 1k miles ago (so I'm not sure why the coolant was low but there you have it). Engine is the Petrol 1L ecoboost 100PS.

Any advice welcome,
thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
You really need to get the codes read to see what its moaning about, it might be worth getting a cheapo Bluetooth one for a few quid to connect to your phone to give you an idea if its serious or not

Soldato
Having just had the same problem
Was told most likely to be O2 sensor
Because car hadn't been driven much
During Lockdown
Turned out correct it was that
But as said without a diagnosis code no way to be certain

Soldato
It could be loads of things. I think if it's a solid light you can drive it, but something is failing or not working as it should be. If it's flashing then it's serious.

If it's not something obvious in the engine bay (like a loose hose or plug) the only way to know is a code reader.

Man of Honour
Local indy places around here will often be able to fit you in for a small fee just to look at OBD data - though for the same price you can buy a reader and/or BT dongle.

Back
Top Bottom