What watch do you wear?

Associate
Associate
I think this is the same watch: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/cartier/tank-solo-w5200014--id10707759.htm

So is this sold by Chrono24 themselves or some random seller?! Do their watches come from europe or something because there is loads of info on shipping costs from EU...
they're a broker and don't stock anything - like ebay, but without the bidding. Looking at the posted link, on the right there's a "seller" section, showing this item is listed by a verified dealer in London - their address is listed near the bottom of the page. Other watches will be outside UK (and thus the shipping costs you've seen) and/or private sellers that possibly are more risky... I think they do an escrow service for purchases, but I'm not sure as I've not purchased through them. (for ref. you can filter searches to country of seller and dealer/private - to try and get a local dealer so you can see if you can view it in person before buying.).

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Picked up the Barton straps today from RM, £15.85 customs fee. It was indeed because the total package cost was over £15/$15. Ah well, next time I'll order one by one.

Any idea how this is calculated? few mates are after a strap and I stupidly said I'd put them on my order to get a bigger discount.

Associate
Citizen Royal Marines Eco-Drive.
Picked up second hand from the bay. Needs a real good clean, polish and touch up...
citizen-royal-marines-commandos-limited-edition-titanium-watch-p7826-7136-zoom.jpg

20200803-210811.jpg

20200803-225926.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Any idea how this is calculated? few mates are after a strap and I stupidly said I'd put them on my order to get a bigger discount.

Should be what the import rate is for watch accessories + VAT + VAT on the shipping + RM charging something silly like £11 for "admin" work of paying the tax on your behalf

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Should be what the import rate is for watch accessories + VAT + VAT on the shipping + RM charging something silly like £11 for "admin" work of paying the tax on your behalf

Should be no import rate for such a small amount, think it's free under £130 ish?

You pay VAT on anything £39 to £135 and customs duty on things over that.

So what I said here then, so say you buy something @ £5. You'll pay £1 of VAT and then handling fee which will be £10ish - which you usually can't escape.

Most of it is a RM or Parcel Force handling fee and then Vat @ 20%

Cheers all, doesn't seem too bad until you get smashed with the handling fees. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Cheers all, doesn't seem too bad until you get smashed with the handling fees. :rolleyes:
I buy quite a bit from China, sometimes the invoices come ages after. I think it was TNT was my worst one, was around £40 and you can't easily pay it online you have to send the payment via BACS and they request remittance advice which got a bounce back on the e-mail.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I buy quite a bit from China, sometimes the invoices come ages after. I think it was TNT was my worst one, was around £40 and you can't easily pay it online you have to send the payment via BACS and they request remittance advice which got a bounce back on the e-mail.

Same here bought all sorts from China/Hong Kong including cameras and lenses but never been hit with any bills, couple of mates regularly order t-shirts from the States and always get hit with fees.

Man of Honour
On the declaration it actually showed the threshold before fees are applied at £30 or something like that if I recall, forgot to get a pic of that sticker sorry. But yeah if it's just 1 strap then expect no fees at all as was the case with my previous 2 straps that came one by one as well as others here who ordered similarly. My latest order all 3 straps came in one so I got hit with the fee.

Soldato
On the declaration it actually showed the threshold before fees are applied at £30 or something like that if I recall, forgot to get a pic of that sticker sorry. But yeah if it's just 1 strap then expect no fees at all as was the case with my previous 2 straps that came one by one as well as others here who ordered similarly. My latest order all 3 straps came in one so I got hit with the fee.
That's the VAT threshold mentioned above I'd expect :)

Caporegime
Years ago when there was a massive delay between cinema release and DVD, i used to import films from the states.

Two massive advantages:

They were far cheaper than UK ones and due to different release dates, sometimes are film was out on DVD in the states before it even had a cinema release over here.

Discs cost between £5 and £15 each. 9 times out of 10 they got delivered by the postie with nothing to pay. Then once in a while it would have a customs ticket on and with the ludicrous post office handling fee, it could easily come to more than the cost of the dvd!

It still just put the price up to what they would have cost in the UK though and overall with 9 out of 10 not incurring a fee, I was quids in.

I have had stuff come from China costing £2k and it has avoided customs fees and other stuff costing £20 get caught.

So it just seems to be pot luck

Back
Top Bottom