A question about giant pterosaurs taking off.

Soldato
I happened to watch a snippet of video in a similar vein a few days ago. Not with dinosaurs, but with the homo genus. It was explicitly framed as wild speculation rather than any kind of theory because there's no evidence for it, but even over that much shorter period of time evidence could be extremely scarce or no longer exist at all.

I've seen this kind of thing stated several times in this thread but I think it's actually quite unlikely. That's based on the findings on potential burrows for basal ceratopsians, dinosaur footprints, the entire catalogue of trace fossils going waaaaaaaay back and even the stomach contents of Borealopelta. If very early humans had developed some "higher tech" then we'd probably find something. Although perhaps we just haven't found that T. rex keyboard just yet. It's a cool idea though.

Man of Honour
OP
So how did they take off?

Was it a jump and flap or dive off a high ledge?

Prevailing opinion is that jump and flap would have been ungainly and energy-intensive but would have worked due to their physiology allowing them to use the same (extremely strong) muscles for jumping that they used for flying. Although they might have preferred a height advantage to begin with.

Man of Honour
OP
I've seen this kind of thing stated several times in this thread but I think it's actually quite unlikely. That's based on the findings on potential burrows for basal ceratopsians, dinosaur footprints, the entire catalogue of trace fossils going waaaaaaaay back and even the stomach contents of Borealopelta. If very early humans had developed some "higher tech" then we'd probably find something. Although perhaps we just haven't found that T. rex keyboard just yet. It's a cool idea though.

We haven't found the T. Rex keyboard because the ancient dinosaur civilisation took all their technology with them when they went through the portal in Atlantis to move to another planet after they detected the incoming asteroid :)

"higher tech" is another topic. I was thinking along the lines of a low tech civilisation, on a par with late neolithic technology but much earlier. Although I also think it's unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom