Views on Technology with Kids

Soldato
We let our 3 year old use a tablet intermittently throughout the week. Told him to stop the other day, he handed it back to me and saw he had installed Lemmings off play store...he was also playing some of the advanced levels that are immensely difficult. So on that side of things, it's advanced his problem solving skills :D

Anyone old enough to remember the original Lemmings game will know just how rage inducing and difficult these levels are.

Caporegime
My sister has 2 children, 5 and 3, neither have their own devices and they are limited tv time to 30mins in the morning and 30mins before bath in the evening. They just play games, do lots of drawings and don't ask for the TV to be on and don't ask for the phone, but they know what they are as on a flight to keep them entertained a show will be put on it.

That's not to say when they are watching TV and when you turn it off they don't ask for more, they do, but only for about 30's until they are distracted by something else and then go play with that instead for a while.

Caporegime
Some events are the time the parents catch up anyway, if it doesnt happen often when everyone has kids so you can see why they do it. Doesnt mean they always do it.

As i said, when you have a kid its a like another level of life opens up and because so much harder to do anything!

Permabanned
As others have said, the key word is moderation.
Yes times have changed a lot but we have to remember the vital job we play as parents. It’s about teaching them correctly. Knowing that we can’t do what we want all the time, there is a time and place for everything.
Kids hardly interact with each other now anyway, not like we would in my days. Especially over lockdown, it’s how the kids interacted and kept interactive with the school class for their work.
I just set mine a time of screen time. If they behave I may allow 2/3hours. Then they come off. If we did have a gathering then they would be expected to go without them for first couple hours and if they behaved and was nice and polite to everyone then they would have them a bit later.

Caporegime
A lot of it is lazy parenting, instead of spending time playing and interacting with their kids parents are just sticking an iPad in their hands and then they are able to carry on as though they don't have kids. I don't think you should ban them from technology altogether as with everything in life it's about finding a healthy balance and using technology as a teaching tool rather than a distraction technique.

Associate
government recommendations is 2 hours

I think the content is more important - I'll happily let my son watch an hour of something educational rather than 20 minutes of bizarre Japanese fighting dinosaur cartoons

Also consider you may have gotten a skewed view, I let mine over indulge when with ours friends to give us more uninterrupted adult time, especially those without kids themselves

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Clearly Kai is annoyed his 6 year old nephew didn't want to hear all about the pergola he's going to build. :D:D

I was telling them about the wood grain and everything... Kids' these days...no appreciation

It's not just kids.

When I'm out cycling, it's a given that I'll come across multiple phone zombies oblivious to their surroundings and personal safety.

Likewise, this is probs a separate thread but when me and wife go out, even with our friends and family the first thing we do is put our phones in the middle of table. Anyone who picks up to look at their phone picks up the bill for entire table. You see people glued to it (even on dates)... rant over :d (God dam, i think i am getting old)!

Soldato
Times have changed.

I have two boys 6 and 8. They love their gaming and their screen time. And me and my wife are grateful for the breaks screens give us.

We try to not let them have two hours of screen time back to back, and work on a two hours in the AM two in the PM basis. Which works well. They both have phones that we used to go out and play Pokémon go on but they're not into that at the moment.

My PC is taking a hammering thanks to game pass, and the PS4 gets a lot of use too. Thankfully they've stopped playing certain other games on wife's iPad and their phones.

We banned Roblox because it frustrated them too much. We've not got Fortnite yet because it's a slippery slope. Youngest one has asked for a Switch for his birthday next week and we're happy for him to have this.

I remember being very bored as a kid at family functions, I'd either take toys to play with or watch a film. But there wasn't any other option. Kids these days are very lucky that mobile devices exist, but there is a time and a place.

Soldato
I do wonder why people who just leave their kids with devices even want kids?
Who said they were wanted in the first place?
I'd guess a good percentage of them weren't.

On the other hand, they said the same thing about me being left alone with a load of books. Most complained that I was never sent outside to play... and then complained when I stayed outside all day and night playing... although the latter part did involve fire and explosive substances, by that age, but I kept that one pretty quiet.

According to my nephew, not having the right phone would see you bullied nowadays.
Having the right phone will see little children being mugged by adult/adolescent gangs.
Ask them which they'd prefer - A Galaxy 20+, or a cheaper phone and the ability to walk unaided...

Associate
The reality is it's tricky especially if you have one kid like we do. He is seven and if we have him the chance he would be on it all day - trick is to give them defined times and try to stick to them, much easier said than done mind especially over lockdown and you both are WFH.

I'd agree however gaming nowadays is far more addictive then when I was a child in the eighties.

Associate
I think getting them used to new technology at a young age is perfectly fine and it will help them in the long run. However, when they are at social events you can't allow them to just sit on a phone for the entire time. Social intelligence is important unless you're some mad genius like Zuckerberg who can robot your way through life.

Exactly this.

Soldato
I noticed for the first time yesterday a kid glued to their phone as they were walking down the road to their grandma who lives opposite. I think thats the first time I've seen what people have talked about for years.

It is quite disturbing about the lack of awareness to their surroundings, and to be honest, what could be interesting them so much? The internet is hardly active 24/7.

People can only be bullied if they think they are missing out. The internet is a tool. Many people, including adults, sometimes forget there is a world offline too.

Permabanned
The ops wife you mean?

Surely you just proved what she said right? Unfortunately children are absolute ***** when it comes to things like branding and status. According to my nephew, not having the right phone would see you bullied nowadays.

In my day it was making sure you had "kickers" shoes.

I had this blue coat in Year 7. It had these stupid metal clips adorning the front zip that jingled everywhere I walked. Even then I questioned when their purpose was. Needless to say I was ridiculed for it, a lot.

So actually on reflection, I might not like it but I would understand any parent that would give their child what they need in order to fit in with the rest of the kids.

Caporegime
Don't get me wrong, it's insane to me that kids judge each other on the wealth of each other parents, and equally insane that kids now walk about with phones worth upwards of £1000.

Somehow that's the World we live in.

Soldato
The internet is hardly active 24/7.
Huh?
U srs, Bro?
You do know there are people from other timezones who also have Internet?

I get people posting videos and forum posts at all hours of the day. From Kiwis & Aussies early in the morning, right through to Americans catching up to the rest of the world.
Add in Farcebook, *******, Twitch, Discord, Insta-Snap-Gram-Tik-Zoom-Book and whatever else, and you have a content feed that never sleeps.

Man of Honour
My career is focused around IT, Security and technology and being up to date with the latest tech and attacks etc. However, I did not have this luxury as a child, this tech was simply not available to me.

So just a small point, whilst I don't disagree that too much screen time could have adverse effects, let's just address your quote above. It's important to recognise that you grew up in another time when the world was different. If you look at any other example of technological advancement, you parents may have had it as a luxury but there isn't the same suggestion that you shouldn't have enjoyed the advantages it brings. Phones/tablets might be subtly different in a few ways, but ultimately, I think the "I grew up without it and turned out fine" a weak and naive argument.

Back
Top Bottom