Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Checked my emails last night and it was dispatched! Was expecting it to be delivered Monday but just got a text from DPD to say it'll be here in the next few hours :D What settings would people recommend in terms of picture quality?

Associate
Hello all. I made the choice to go for the curved Iiyama screen having weighed up wanting to get a curved screen over flat. Sadly this has not worked out due to a flickering issue with Freesync being enabled on this model (see: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...144hz-va-panel-freesync-premium-pro.18888669/ if interested - the latest threads and online review will give you an idea - hopefully a fix will come in time).

In the meantime, I am back on the monitor search and no doubt joining a long waiting list!

I am thinking of getting the FLAT Iiyama now. Can I confirm with someone that has the screen that this works great with freesync and AMD cards? As mentioned at the start of this thread I have the Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5700 8GB GAMING OC. So if anyone has this or any other RX5700 with this monitor, be great to hear how you are getting on. Also thoughts on gaming on a flat UW when sat say 60cm from the screen??? Be grateful for views to encourage me to order this screen and join the long wait. (I assume the next batch of screens in the UK will be with the firmware update also to fix the 'split screen' issue?).

This monitor (the flat IPS) does not have any flickering with adaptive sync. The curved version does and it is noticeable to some people, due to its VA technology.

I got one of the first units on sale in the UK (my review is on page 4 of this thread), am using a Vega 64 while waiting for next gen GPUs, and Freesync is working flawlessly across the refresh rate range.
I previously come from a 29" flat and sit 75cm away, during the first week of use it was a bit strange to have to move my eyes so much to read stuff at the edges but you get used to it pretty quick. I'd say about 2 weeks in I no longer notice it and my buddy's curved monitor now looks funny to me when displaying straight lines. The truth is your brain will get used to whichever in a short time.

My only complaint after about 3 months of ownership is the split screen glitch thing when waking from sleep. I just disabled that functionality in windows so now it can only happen when the computer boots into windows, which makes it a very rare occurrence (once in the last ~ 2 months). For me this is the best value for money gaming ultrawide on the market and I would definitely buy it again.

Associate
No, it seems okay so far. I will let you know after prolonged use. It's sat next to my partners Monitor, it's an Asus MX34VQ which is a 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor so it's very easy to compare!

Associate
Excellent. I'm thinking of upgrading from my 60Hz ultrawide, and surprised at this one's price given the refresh rate an IPS panel.

I've upgraded from an Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p, 165Hz G-Sync IPS) and it's an excellent upgrade. I mainly got it as I am doing a lot more home working so could do with the extra pixels. I cannot tell the difference from 165Hz vs 144Hz or the difference in IPS panels but the extra FOV on games is well worth it!

Associate
I realise that HDR on this monitor is just a gimmick, and not to be taken seriously, and I never turned it on since I received it about a month ago.

So, yesterday I tried to see how it looks.

I wanted to ask other forum members who own this, is it supposed to be this rubbish? When I turn it ON in the monitor's console, and turn HDR on in windows, everything appears PALE and washed out? It looks absolutely terrible?

File explorer and regular apps and windows with a WHITE background all appear yellowish and terrible? Is that how its supposed to be?

I'll attach some screen shots later today when I'm back from work?

P.S. it still does the half screen off thing, and needs a physical ON/OFF about once or twice a day, even after I followed the update Hexus.net posted in its review, by deleting certain entries in the registry. They updated the review mentioning that there is a NEW FIRMWARE from Iiyama, but not sure if it something the customer can do at home?

Soldato
HDR on anything without full array local dimming or an OLED is pretty much in gimmick territory and is pretty bad. Windows then makes it worse... it’s HDR implementation is terrible.

I got mine on Friday and I’m pretty happy with it. I didn’t quite win the panel lottery but I was pretty close. Next to no back light bleed which I am really sensitive to. It has a single dead pixel right on the bottom edge of the screen in the corner which. I’m not going to go through the hassle of returning it though as in practice I can’t actually see it. I only spotted it via a dead pixel checker.

It’s my first ultra wide which will take a bit of getting used to. Got both screens up on monitor arms and with Dell U2717D set up in portrait on the side.

Soldato
I realise that HDR on this monitor is just a gimmick, and not to be taken seriously, and I never turned it on since I received it about a month ago.

So, yesterday I tried to see how it looks.

I wanted to ask other forum members who own this, is it supposed to be this rubbish? When I turn it ON in the monitor's console, and turn HDR on in windows, everything appears PALE and washed out? It looks absolutely terrible?

File explorer and regular apps and windows with a WHITE background all appear yellowish and terrible? Is that how its supposed to be?

I'll attach some screen shots later today when I'm back from work?

P.S. it still does the half screen off thing, and needs a physical ON/OFF about once or twice a day, even after I followed the update Hexus.net posted in its review, by deleting certain entries in the registry. They updated the review mentioning that there is a NEW FIRMWARE from Iiyama, but not sure if it something the customer can do at home?
I found this happened if I set HDR on in the game but not the monitor. Did you manually turn it on, in the monitor?
Don't really on testing on the desktop, that seems broken.
Anyway, even when it worked, it wasn't great. GSync is much more useful.

Associate
HDR on anything without full array local dimming or an OLED is pretty much in gimmick territory and is pretty bad. Windows then makes it worse... it’s HDR implementation is terrible.

I got mine on Friday and I’m pretty happy with it. I didn’t quite win the panel lottery but I was pretty close. Next to no back light bleed which I am really sensitive to. It has a single dead pixel right on the bottom edge of the screen in the corner which. I’m not going to go through the hassle of returning it though as in practice I can’t actually see it. I only spotted it via a dead pixel checker.

It’s my first ultra wide which will take a bit of getting used to. Got both screens up on monitor arms and with Dell U2717D set up in portrait on the side.

I found this happened if I set HDR on in the game but not the monitor. Did you manually turn it on, in the monitor?
Don't really on testing on the desktop, that seems broken.
Anyway, even when it worked, it wasn't great. GSync is much more useful.

Yes, fully aware, just as I mentioned in my post, that HDR on anything other than high end monitors and TVs is a gimmick. I have an LG OLED TV, and appreciate the difference.

But seriously, can it be this BAD? I have only tried yesterday, and attached some screenshots!! It looks terrible!!

Last screenshot is with HDR off, which shows what the colors should look like, and has much much better contrast. And yes, HDR was physically turned ON in the monitor settings, and then ON in windows. How can they even advertise this as an HDR monitor? That's unacceptable in my book.

EDIT: Ok, this is STRANGE. As I was posting the link to the screenshots, the actual screenshots look perfect, but this is not how they show on my monitor? Very strange? Can someone explain this? On the monitor they look very washed out, yellowish tint, and the WHITES are YELLOW, yet the screenshot using PRINT SCREEN looks normal?

deNYErSr6MZ5Bqb77

6yoyDybKaLuPtPLU6

Soldato
Yes, fully aware, just as I mentioned in my post, that HDR on anything other than high end monitors and TVs is a gimmick. I have an LG OLED TV, and appreciate the difference.

But seriously, can it be this BAD? I have only tried yesterday, and attached some screenshots!! It looks terrible!!

Last screenshot is with HDR off, which shows what the colors should look like, and has much much better contrast. And yes, HDR was physically turned ON in the monitor settings, and then ON in windows. How can they even advertise this as an HDR monitor? That's unacceptable in my book.

EDIT: Ok, this is STRANGE. As I was posting the link to the screenshots, the actual screenshots look perfect, but this is not how they show on my monitor? Very strange? Can someone explain this? On the monitor they look very washed out, yellowish tint, and the WHITES are YELLOW, yet the screenshot using PRINT SCREEN looks normal?

deNYErSr6MZ5Bqb77

6yoyDybKaLuPtPLU6
Yeh as I said HDR in general windows desktop is broken. That seems to be the case for many when I looked into it (not just users of this monitor). Try an HDR game and see if that works. I couldn't get it to work in general desktop myself.

It seemed to work for me in Destiny 2, but not well enough for me to keep it over GSync.

Associate
everything appears PALE and washed out? It looks absolutely terrible?

Plugged mine in yesterday and this was my first impression of the monitor. Very yellow tone and not very sharp. Will have a play around later, including calibrating the colour properly. I also can't set above 75hz at full resolution, although that might be due to my very old gpu.

Would be interested to see what settings others are using.

Caporegime
OP
HDR on anything without full array local dimming or an OLED is pretty much in gimmick territory and is pretty bad.

This.

Unless the screen is OLED, don't bother with HDR, it is pure **** on LCD, well except for a handful of screens but they have FALD, which actually allows HDR to work how it should.

Associate
Well I've done a bit of tinkering, running my old Colorvision Spyder2Express to calibrate the colours, running through the tests on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and going through the Cleartype calibration tool it's all looking a bit better now.

The colours weren't horrific out of the box although definitely had a bit of a yellowish cast to them, so only a few minor tweaks there. The performance in the darker regions is pretty poor and I've had to set the black tuner to +3 to gain some definition there. Overall, I'm currently feeling it's lacking some of the punch of my old Yamakasi Catleap although I am temporarily sitting in a room that's a bit brighter than normal so that might change when I go back to my usual spot in the study.

Caporegime
OP
Probably be very hard to get that punch as the contrast ratio for this is rather low, even for an IPS at 800/900:1. What is your contrast ratio coming out as after calibrating it?

Also, could you post all your monitor OSD settings here too please.

Back
Top Bottom