How do I re-partition an M.2 drive for storage in new laptop?

Soldato
I've got a new laptop today and it has a 256GB M.2 drive for the OS but I've got another M.2 drive from a laptop that stopped working and so I want to put it into the new laptop as a storage/games drive.

I've managed to put the drive in and Windows is recognising it but since it was the OS drive on the old laptop, there are the various Windows (I presume) partitions showing in Disk Management.

I have deleted the main volume and "reformatted" it and it's showing as being fine but I can't seem to find a way to get rid of the other partitions? (when I right click on these all I get is the "Help" tab - which ironically is no help!) - there are 3 others showing, 260MB for "EFI System", 952MB for Recovery Partition and another 12.65GB that also says Recovery Partition!?!?

Basically I just want rid of anything connected to the old OS and use the extra drive as a "D" drive for games & stuff.

Does anyone have any idea how I can accomplish this?

Soldato
Could unplug new os ssd, then go to install windows on old. You can then delete partitions on drive in setup, and then back out of install.

Man of Honour
To get rid of the old partitions open cmd prompt and type diskpart. Then, list disk, select disk, list partition, select partition. Finally the last command is delete partition override...

If none of this makes sense look up diskpart and deleting partitions.

Soldato
OP
To get rid of the old partitions open cmd prompt and type diskpart. Then, list disk, select disk, list partition, select partition. Finally the last command is delete partition override...

If none of this makes sense look up diskpart and deleting partitions.

Thanks for the reply - I've never used cmd prompt much so don't want to mess this up!

I've got 2 disks - "0" and "1" - according to Disk Manager the new laptop OS is on disk 1 so I've selected disk 0 and got the reply - Disk 0 is now the selected disk. (and the partition sizes tally with what is in Disk Manager)

Do I basically delete each partition individually by selecting them and typing "delete partition override"? (there are 5 listed; 1 x system, 1 x reserved, 1x primary and 2 x recovery)

maj

maj

Soldato
You can format the whole drive using the clean command. You can then format it as NTFS and create a primary partition on it (look this up if you need to). Just make sure you are doing it on the right drive.

Soldato
OP
Sorted - thanks guys!

One further question though, my new laptop has 8GB DDR4 which looks like it is 3200MHz but in my old laptop I've got 16GB of DDR4, albeit it's 2133Mhz stuff - assuming it's compatible with my new laptop(?) - am I going to be better running 8GB @ 3200MHz or 16GB @ 2133MHz??

Thanks again...

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply - I've never used cmd prompt much so don't want to mess this up!

I've got 2 disks - "0" and "1" - according to Disk Manager the new laptop OS is on disk 1 so I've selected disk 0 and got the reply - Disk 0 is now the selected disk. (and the partition sizes tally with what is in Disk Manager)

Do I basically delete each partition individually by selecting them and typing "delete partition override"? (there are 5 listed; 1 x system, 1 x reserved, 1x primary and 2 x recovery)

Sorry about the half arsed fast reply. Just saw the thread but didn't have a huge amount of time other than to give you commands and something to work with. Glad you got it sorted. :)

This also works for encrypted and system partitions that windows can't do anything with :)

Soldato
OP
The slower 2133MHz RAM will cripple your FPS at least 10%+ (sometimes more game dependent) - stick with the 3200MHz kit.

Thanks! Just seems a shame to waste it but if I start to struggle I'll just get another 8GB stick!

Sorry about the half arsed fast reply. Just saw the thread but didn't have a huge amount of time other than to give you commands and something to work with. Glad you got it sorted. :)

This also works for encrypted and system partitions that windows can't do anything with :)

No worries, thanks for the pointers - I wouldn't have known to put in the "override" part - the first thing I Googled didn't mention this!

Look at me using a command line prompt and NOT nausing up my system!!!! :D

Man of Honour
Thanks! Just seems a shame to waste it but if I start to struggle I'll just get another 8GB stick!

No worries, thanks for the pointers - I wouldn't have known to put in the "override" part - the first thing I Googled didn't mention this!

Look at me using a command line prompt and NOT nausing up my system!!!! :D

That override used to be a different command in fdisk I am sure, I think it used to be force. Diskpart/Fdisk are awesome little built in utilities everybody should use at least once :)

Back
Top Bottom